Sign in with
Your question

System instability, need help.

Last response: in Motherboards
February 13, 2010 2:50:39 AM

Well first off, hello to you all...

I am running an i7 920 2.66(stock), XMS3 Corsair 6gb ddr3(stock), Rampage II Gene mobo and a BFG GTX 280 superclocked edition on Win7 64. I have this problem that seems to be either ram or mobo related...or atleast it seems that way to me. Whenever I play any games (completely random amounts of time) gameplay will start to get very choppy, sound will start to stutter and with each sound stutter the game will stutter. When I alt+tab OUT of said game everything is fine on the desktop (for the most part). If I stay in game and attempt to bare with it as impossible as it is.... I will eventually lose my connection in game and then I will lose connection for my whole PC to the internet.

This system is fairly new... 1 and 1/2 months or so... I have run memtest with 6 passes with 0 errors, passed stress tests with prime95 and LinX to name a few, updated my bios, used new and old video card drivers, updated my chipset drivers, tried ram 1 at a time in different dimms, tried bumping the voltage on the ram and tried playing with other general ram settings with NO avail.

Sometimes it will work for a day or 2 without any issues then bam... they come back. Also, they tend to be more frequent in games like Left 4 Dead 2 and Call of Duty: World at War as opposed to World of Warcraft (though it did literally just happen for me there too).

I am pretty much at my wits end here and tried everything I can think of... so I am turning to this wonderful community for some help. This is quite frustrating to say the least and will be watching this post super close for some helpful responses.

Thank you ahead of time!
Edit: (oh yeah, 850 watt Antec PSU as well)

More about : system instability

a c 156 V Motherboard
February 14, 2010 3:14:13 PM

Good parts.

Unfortunately, instability problems seem to frequently be caused by power, temperature, or memory problems.

Is your RAM voltage set to factory recommended values? If so, try raising it a little - but to no more than 1.65 volts.
m
l
February 15, 2010 1:33:01 AM

jsc said:
Good parts.

Unfortunately, instability problems seem to frequently be caused by power, temperature, or memory problems.

Is your RAM voltage set to factory recommended values? If so, try raising it a little - but to no more than 1.65 volts.

Yeah, I have it set to 1600 atm with 1.65v tried 1066@1.65v as well still the same issues. I also just replaced my power supply and issues just happened again.

I have noticed though that it's almost like my internet is trying to drop and maybe that is why the games get choppy and I end up eventually losing internet connection aftwerwards?

Man this is getting to be quite annoying!

Thanks for the reply btw.
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 15, 2010 1:47:18 PM

Sorry I wasn't more help.

You might try looking for updated drivers for everything including the motherboard.
m
l
!