Sign in with
Your question

First time builder, help a gal out!!!

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2009 12:08:22 AM

Hi there!! :hello:  :bounce: 

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (ASAP - next 2-3 weeks) BUDGET RANGE: (US$700-900)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (games/movies/music/misc)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, hard-drive, cd drive)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg, but open to others!)

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (None, I want the best bang for my buck!!)

OVERCLOCKING: I'd rather not, im not comfortable doing that yet. :( 

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (I have a 26" monitor I play games at 1440x900 or 1920x1200.whichever runs better. I'd LOVE to play games at 1920x1200 though!!! :lol: 

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: ( My boyfriend is buying a new computer and I get to use several "old" parts from his computer. I have a 26" monitor, a raptor 10k 300gb HD, and a liteon bluray reader/writer)

I made a bet with him that I could research, buy, and put together a good gaming computer and I have picked out parts from newegg but before I go for it, I wanted to run them by some of you guys. I read the website here a lot and have tried to learn as much as I can, so here goes!!

from Newegg.com - I apologize but I couldn't figure out how to put a picture of what is in my cart like some people do. :( 
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $65
ASUS M4A77TD Pro AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $90
HIS H485FN1GP Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP $117
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready $65
mushkin HP 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) $90
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core $200

TOTAL: $627+shipping

As you can see, I am under even my limit. I am looking for any sort of advice on what would be better for performance and/or prices. I like to play WOW, champions online, Fallout3, Crysis, things of that sort that kill my little old desktop I have now. It would be great to be able to play games at 30+fps without feeling like I'm looking at a flipbook! lol

More about : time builder gal

August 24, 2009 12:23:29 AM

Switch to a 4890 like this one, it will handle 1920x1200 much better
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would swap the PSU out for either the OCZ modxstream 600 watt if you stick with that board.

or if you change you board to the 790x from asus(first link below) then you ahve the option of crossfire in the future and should get the 750TX from cosair(second link)

Raises the price a bit but would give you an upgradable system that will handle any game at that resolution quite well.
Related resources
August 24, 2009 12:56:29 AM

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $65
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $120
XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP $145
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 $100
G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $95
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core $200

TOTAL: about $725+shipping....

Will I need a cooler for the CPU or is the stock one good enough if I'm not OCing?

Also is crossfire really a worthwhile thing? I've read things saying games just don't use it right so it isn't much faster or its worse *I'm not a super nerd-girl so I don't know, please don't flame me if I'm wrong :(  "
August 24, 2009 1:20:49 AM

Crossfire will be usable by more and more games as time goes on, most games do use it right now and it will provide you a cheap upgrade option in the future, you will just be able to get another 4870 for 80ish instead of having to put up 200 for a 5870 that will perform about the same, if you arent going to upgrade the system though it isnt worth including.
August 24, 2009 1:29:33 AM

well thats good to know... but what about the heatsink?

also, lastly, and I'm sorry guys for being such a bother, but..... I am not stuck on ATI, AMD, NVIDIA, INTEL.

Would what I have chosen and what you have shown me, be the best/just as good as If I went Intel/nvidia?

Edit: I lied, one more thing :lol:  If I have 4gb of ram, would it be of any use to get more later if I have a 64bit OS or will it just sit unused?
August 24, 2009 2:20:59 AM

dinkydo said:

also, lastly, and I'm sorry guys for being such a bother, but..... I am not stuck on ATI, AMD, NVIDIA, INTEL.

Would what I have chosen and what you have shown me, be the best/just as good as If I went Intel/nvidia?

Edit: I lied, one more thing :lol:  If I have 4gb of ram, would it be of any use to get more later if I have a 64bit OS or will it just sit unused?

1. The options I gave you are heatsinks.

2. Unless you are getting a core i7 system then I would go with AMD.

3. 4GB is definitely enough but a 64bit OS is better regardless.
August 24, 2009 2:26:02 AM

dinkydo said:

August 24, 2009 2:33:47 AM

ragsters said:

Dunno what is with the site or my internet but I didn't see your post even though I kept hitting refresh... :( 
plus every time I try to post I get a "site not available" but it posts my reply anyway.

I think I'll go with the coolermaster

Also, i checked the manual for that motherboard.... they do not list the specific RAM you chose as a Qualfied vendor type... do you think it would really be a problem?
August 24, 2009 3:17:59 AM

dinkydo said:
Also is crossfire really a worthwhile thing? I've read things saying games just don't use it right so it isn't much faster or its worse *I'm not a super nerd-girl so I don't know, please don't flame me if I'm wrong :(  "
Crossfire/SLI has not been terribly helpful in MMOs. In some (eg, EQ2, WAR) you will often get lower FPS and stutter when you least want it - in cities and in Raids. These are more cpu-dependent, and the extra load of managing 2xVid is an unnecessary brick. Crossfire/SLI is much more helpful in FPS games, often achieving 75% higher frame rates in many (though certainly not all) FPS.

Personally, I'd buy a single card that will handle the games I want, set up the rest of the system so it can run a second vid card (mobo, psu), and take a wait and see attitude about the cost, heat, and power consumption of that second card. ESPECIALLY if I am majoring in MMOs.

Re PSUs: Please stick with Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec Earthwatts for your psu . . . unless you can be pointed to a specific review of the recommended model done by a reviewer who does his own (a) examination of INTERNAL construction and (b) testing. Ignore all other reviews and recommendations. "I had a Tagan 1000W that caused me trouble within 3 months" . . . "I have an OCZ pumping clean power for three years now" . . . both are true, but neither is relevant to your purchase.

dinkydo said:
Also, i checked the manual for that motherboard.... they do not list the specific RAM you chose as a Qualfied vendor type... do you think it would really be a problem?
Dam, the girl RTFMs too lol! Most likely, no. Mobo manufacturer's don't reprint their manuals often, and don't even update the website as they move on to other issues. It's possible you might have a problem, but not much more of a chance than you might get a defective stick.

August 24, 2009 3:27:32 AM

Twoboxer said:
Crossfire/SLI has not been terribly helpful in MMOs. In some (eg, EQ2, WAR) you will often get lower FPS and stutter when you least want it - in cities and in Raids. These are more cpu-dependent, and the extra load of managing 2xVid is an unnecessary brick. Crossfire/SLI is much more helpful in FPS games, often achieving 75% higher frame rates in many (though certainly not all) FPS.

Personally, I'd buy a single card that will handle the games I want, set up the rest of the system so it can run a second vid card (mobo, psu), and take a wait and see attitude about the cost, heat, and power consumption of that second card. ESPECIALLY if I am majoring in MMOs.

Re PSUs: Please stick with Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec Earthwatts for your psu . . . unless you can be pointed to a specific review of the recommended model done by a reviewer who does his own (a) examination of INTERNAL construction and (b) testing. Ignore all other reviews and recommendations. "I had a Tagan 1000W that caused me trouble within 3 months" . . . "I have an OCZ pumping clean power for three years now" . . . both are true, but neither is relevant to your purchase.

Dam, the girl RTFMs too lol! Most likely, no. Mobo manufacturer's don't reprint their manuals often, and don't even update the website as they move on to other issues. It's possible you might have a problem, but not much more of a chance than you might get a defective stick.

:lol: 

I paid attention when the bf was spreading his words of nerd-dom. Why is there a difference between the Antec-truepower and the Antec-earthwatts..... you'd think same company.. same quality.... shame on them for doing anything else :non: 

August 24, 2009 2:58:27 PM

Well...since you already have a monitor, a cd drive and hard drive leaving 900bucks left for the rest of the hardware, I think you might be able to squeeze in an i7 budget, it will be tight though. Your choice.
August 24, 2009 3:46:34 PM

Blackhawk1928 really has a point. I think you guys know what I am getting at when I ask how close are you from a Microcenter dinkydo?
August 24, 2009 3:50:30 PM

about 400miles in another state. :( 

I'm at work so I can't go around looking at the moment, but would you guys have suggestions on if I did want to pursue an i7 rig?

And would that perform better than a phenom based system?
August 24, 2009 4:34:26 PM

also... looking at the gpu charts from toms it says:

ATI Radeon HD 4870 CrossFire
(2x512 MB) in Fallout3... 1920x1200, 8AA, 15AF, Very High Quality... 86.90fps.
Now... thats just insane to me... but I have a question.

On newegg it has
XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail for about $145.... the 512mb one is a few bucks cheaper... same clock speeds/core speeds... any reason not to go with 2 of the 1gb ones, as opposed to 2 of the 512mb ones?

Once again I hope I'm not being a thorn in anyones side.
August 24, 2009 4:51:37 PM

the 1 gigs tend to be a bit faster an work better on higher resolutions an bigger screens
August 24, 2009 5:25:01 PM

Since you already stated you will not be over clocking, you do NOT need to spend money on an aftermarket CPU cooler. The stock HSF will even allow for some moderate OC if you're so inclined in the future.

You will NOT notice a difference between the 955 and i7 in gaming. Only way you would see an appreciable difference would be in bench marks and CPU intensive apps and heavy multi-tasking.

To answer your questions about the 4870 1GB cards, because its over kill. To get exceptional performance at 1920 X 1200, you can get by with 2 4850 512MB cards. Reference the latest Tom's article here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...
Yes, you have a large monitor, but you go by resolution, not necessarily screen size.

Its always easy to spend someone elses money. I think sometimes we get carried away when doing so. Unless you just have money to burn, stick with what you need, not what you "can" get.
August 24, 2009 5:28:07 PM

instead of 2 cards now get a single 4890
August 24, 2009 5:41:30 PM

obsidian86 said:
instead of 2 cards now get a single 4890

I've been considering that as well. I can't afford the 2 of anything at the moment anyway. I am simply trying to setup myself for later so when the bf is bragging his $500 video card is still playing games at max res/detail, I can say mine will too, and I'll have spent only about 1/2 as much as him! :lol: 

Since I wouldn't be getting a second card until Nov/Dec I may just go with the 1 4890 for the time being, but it will probably be a last minute decision as to which way to go. Too many choices and no clear cut answers. Who knows what game could come out in 5 months that the 2 4850s just wont cut it on 1920x1200... but who knows of 2 of the 4890s would... but they would probably have a better chance.

:ouch:  :ouch:  :cry:  I hate computer technology sometimes, :lol: 
August 24, 2009 5:51:09 PM

2 4850s are a lil better then a single 4890 but the question is what to get after 2 4850s ? 3 4850s a brand new top line 5xxx series at $$$$ you could get a single 4890 now an add a second later when you need to up a bit an still be running max on almost anything
August 24, 2009 6:08:24 PM

Here's what I would do with the budget you listed. Only using one vid card for now.

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD - Retail

Combo:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail
HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

The combo deal with the 4890 makes that PSU a better choice for the same $99 as the other one. That Corsair PSU is a solid choice, especially if you add another 4890 later on. You can't go wrong with either Asus or Gigabyte for the mobo. I chose the Gigabyte one because it's only $7 more, but comes with free shipping. Pretty much a wash. Grand total is $787.89 shipped, and you get another $45 in MIR.
August 24, 2009 8:50:28 PM

Those are both 790X chipset motherboards so they will both support crossfire at x8/x8 speed. Neither one will perform "better" under crossfire.
August 24, 2009 8:55:23 PM

is't the asus board lay out a bit better?
August 24, 2009 9:00:14 PM

obsidian86 said:
is't the asus board lay out a bit better?

One of the reviews for the gigabyte does say a large graphics card will sit right over a bridge and the ram is a bit close to the cpu... *shrug*

I do find the asus a lot more attractive ;)  along with the fact of the Q connector... I don't exactly have the daintiest of hands and i HATE messing with the power/reset/etc on the motherboard.
August 24, 2009 9:17:11 PM

The Asus board will be fine. The layout may in fact be better. I didn't look that close at the actual board. The Gigabyte baord is a personal choice. Been using them a few years now and never been let down.
August 24, 2009 9:33:45 PM

I had one *gigabyte* in the past that never worked all that great, but I've also had sub-par PSUs and wiring in places I've lived as well.... never had a ASUS die on me though.

I do believe I have gotten everything set that I wanted to. Once again I thank all you nice guys for the input and suggestions! :) 
August 24, 2009 9:53:14 PM

Let us know how it goes when you get it all put together. :)  Be sure and smack your b/f. Unless he's just rich and has money to blow, spending $500 on a video card is retarded at best.
August 24, 2009 10:38:39 PM

Quote:
I am not stuck on ATI, AMD, NVIDIA, INTEL.

I find that quite amusing as there are only AMD/nVidia/Intel now and they are your only options for CPU/GPUs.

At any rate, I recommend waiting a while for the following to happen if possible:

1. The release of Core i5/P55

2. The release of the AMD 5xxx cards.

The above 2 things will probably drive down the curent prices quite a bit.
August 25, 2009 1:27:05 AM

Although Corsair should be on anyone's short list for a PSU, reviews do seem to suggest that Antec Truepower is just a little bit better.
I will admit to being an Antec fanboy, but I think the competent technical reviews (e.g. jonnyguru.com, hardwaresecrets.com, hardocp.com, etc...) back me up. One other thing about the Antec you may consider an advantage, it is semi-modular, meaning fewer extra wires stuffed in your case. Before anyone comments on possible loss of efficiency, the Truepower is 80+ bronze certified, and the Corsair is "just" 80+.
August 25, 2009 2:07:00 AM

I also was wondering where the aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan (HSF) idea was coming from. I don't think he read you right. If you aren't overclocking, you don't need it. Save that money for graphics!

I second the recommendation to look for good PSU reviews where they tear them apart and put them on oscilloscope and such. This is one place to not skimp. I believe that power supply needs are often exaggerated. I decided what I thought I needed, added a little for good measure...and couldn't find on that small with the connectors I needed for my graphics. Two big things to things to look for (aside from build quality, voltage regulation, noise - in the signal, that is, not audible noise): Does it have the connectors you need? Also make sure it has enough amperage on the 12 volt rail/s. Especially for the video card.

Don't rule out Micro Center. They will price match Newegg, sometimes beat them, and you can actually see and feel the product.

Don't get that Antec 300. It is a rickety thing. Seriously check it out in person before you buy one, and compare it with the Coolermaster 590. I finally got a new case today, actually. I went in thinking I would get the 300, and...

I ended up going with the Coolermaster 590 for $55.99 right now at Micro Center. That's cheaper than Newegg, AND I saved a little more than $15 on shipping if I remember. It's much more solid, more roomy, has easier cable management potential (good for airflow), it's layout is flexible enough, and it has a good air flow design. The paint on the sides and top is not the best (front is nice and has some brushed aluminum too), screwless solution is crap, and it has WAY too many holes on the side and top for me.

You could maybe get a fan controller and some nice Scythe S-Flex fans to round things out.

Edit: I guess the AMD and maybe ATI stuff requires more power. My system just happens to be Intel/Nvidia. Look for graphics card reviews that use a similar setup to your plans. They will often list total system draw as measured from the wall. You will want a little more than that, but it gives you a good idea where to start.
August 25, 2009 3:06:42 AM

Blick said:
I also was wondering where the aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan (HSF) idea was coming from. I don't think he read you right. If you aren't overclocking, you don't need it. Save that money for graphics!

I think it is a good Idea to get a $30 cooler/heatsink. I'll give you three reasons.
1. Easier to install than pushpin.
2. If decided to overclock in the future she wouldn't have to take out the motherboard to install the heatsink.
3. It's only $30. The Aesthetics alone is worth it.
August 25, 2009 3:43:50 AM

This is what i would do for 909.92

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U4P MOBO

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... CPU

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811119137
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$15.00 Instant $84.99
$69.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136319
$74.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAPPHIRE 100269HDMI Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814102852
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)

$194.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817341011
-$60.00 Instant $169.99
$109.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail
Item #: N82E16835233029
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)

$44.98 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Nippon Labs Black 6 ft. USB cable A/male to B/male Model USB-6-AB-BK - Retail
Item #: N82E16812816052
-$4.89 Saving $4.89
$0.00
Subtotal: $494.94

Use your HDD for the OS and games use the new HDD for storage.

(Note you need to pick up the CPU ) hope you live by a micro center

crap i forgot RAM take out the HSF and HDD and get some http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IT4BWA/ref=asc_df_B001IT4B...
You can add a HSF and another HDD latter if you like
August 25, 2009 8:07:23 AM

ragsters said:
I think it is a good Idea to get a $30 cooler/heatsink. I'll give you three reasons.
1. Easier to install than pushpin.
2. If decided to overclock in the future she wouldn't have to take out the motherboard to install the heatsink.
3. It's only $30. The Aesthetics alone is worth it.

1. Seriously. It's not hard.
2. A mild overclock shouldn't need an aftermarket cooler.
3. In a case without a window?

Maybe one of these would be a better investment if you have some extra left over

http://www.computerforum.com/40029-check-out-my-ricer-c...
August 25, 2009 9:46:09 AM

She said she was 400 miles from a Microcenter, so she won't save on shipping ordering from them.
August 25, 2009 11:34:21 AM

yeah, ordering a case from them would be an unwanted extra shipping charge. I think i will skip a HSF for the time being and use the stock one. I can always watch the temperature for a week and decide from there if I think I need one. I'm not real worried about taking it apart again, it would just give me more experience with it.

As far as the antec PSU goes, since the antec300 is a bottom mounted PSU case, i figured the extra cables wouldnt matter much and could be tucked under where the HD bays. The only thing I wonder about with a bottom mounted supply is... heat rises, and I wonder if it would heat things up more than a top mounted one.
August 25, 2009 11:51:27 AM

Onus said:
She said she was 400 miles from a Microcenter, so she won't save on shipping ordering from them.

sorry my bad :) 

Well enjoy whatever you get!
August 25, 2009 4:20:40 PM

Only reason I recommend going with an after market (ie CCF/S1283 + bolt in) is because the Intel Push pins break very easily.

Quote:
The only thing I wonder about with a bottom mounted supply is... heat rises, and I wonder if it would heat things up more than a top mounted one.

Believe it or not, it actually runs cooler. The PSU fans draws cooler air from the case to cool those hot running MOSFETs,etc inside the PSU. Cooler PSU = better reliability and happy PSU.
August 25, 2009 4:23:51 PM

I think the 300 case I am getting has 1-2 front case fans, a side, rear, and top....

I'm assuming front fans for intake.... side for intake... rear and top for exhaust?
August 25, 2009 4:30:27 PM

side fan should be exhaust. it's useful to have if you use a CPU cooler that has a fan that faces towards it, some cases even come with a short little duct attachment to help direct the CPU heat exhaust that way. You wouldn't want to make the side fan an intake since you'll create turbulent flow inside the case, when ideally you want hot air to take the most direct path out from it's source, which is straight out the exhaust fans.
August 25, 2009 4:39:27 PM

so then only the front one/s would be intake, the rest exhaust?
August 25, 2009 5:07:12 PM

I thought Intel's stock heatsinks blow air towards the cpu therefore having a side panel intake would be beneficial for the cpu and the rest of the components for that matter.
August 25, 2009 6:45:43 PM

ragsters said:
I thought Intel's stock heatsinks blow air towards the cpu therefore having a side panel intake would be beneficial for the cpu and the rest of the components for that matter.

+1
August 25, 2009 7:51:38 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^+2.

:lol: 

So I'm back to the front/side intake, back/top exhaust. hehe
August 25, 2009 10:36:10 PM

Yes. Front and side are intake, rear (including PSU) and top (if present) are exhaust.
August 25, 2009 11:24:55 PM

I just can't stay away... :lol: 

I saw another post mention this combo.... the review for it gave it a 9.

If i were planning on 2 4890s, would this be enough to power them, or would I be cutting it too close? Not trying to be too cheap, but if it would do just as well and save 40-50 I could go with it.

Combo deal PSU/case
!