Sign in with
Your question

Why do I have to OC my PCI-E bus in order to OC my Q6600

Last response: in Overclocking
October 27, 2011 7:27:28 AM

:hello:  Please help:

In order for me to OC my Q6600 above 3.05ghz, I have to OC my PCI-E bus or my PC does not post, however if I set my PCI-E bus to auto then my PC posts up to 3.6ghz but I get graphics lock-ups in games. This did not occur with my E4600 which had the same stock clock frequency. This has been extremely frustrating as my chip seems to have alot of thermal headroom but g/card locks up as soon as I increase my PCI-E bus freq above 109mhz, anybody who can shed some light on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

More about : pci bus order q6600

October 27, 2011 8:06:25 AM

Maskilah said:
:hello:  Please help:

In order for me to OC my Q6600 above 3.05ghz, I have to OC my PCI-E bus or my PC does not post, however if I set my PCI-E bus to auto then my PC posts up to 3.6ghz but I get graphics lock-ups in games. This did not occur with my E4600 which had the same stock clock frequency. This has been extremely frustrating as my chip seems to have alot of thermal headroom but g/card locks up as soon as I increase my PCI-E bus freq above 109mhz, anybody who can shed some light on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

My spec:
CPU: Q6600, MOBO: GA-G31M-S2L, MEM: 2X2gig Kingston value DDR2 800, G/Card: 9800 GTX, PSU: 600w Huntkey APFC, HDD: 320 gig Sata, 250 gig IDE, Generic chasis.
m
l
October 27, 2011 11:02:02 AM

You can do serious damage to your components by increasing your PCI-E frequency above 100
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2011 11:20:44 AM

I have the exact same problem (cant pass from 3 ghz up), and noone here or ASUS forum (my mobo is asus rampage formula) can find out why. I have no idea if it is a bios issue or a cpu problem, but i cant even change the speed of the northbridge bus manually in bios anymore. Its basicly locked up. I can only use Asus OC software for that.
m
l
October 27, 2011 11:59:41 AM

According to some threads I've read - it's safe to OC the PCI-E bus up to 120mhz but my card is only stable up to 109mhz????????????????????
m
l
October 27, 2011 12:53:02 PM

davedurg09 said:
You can do serious damage to your components by increasing your PCI-E frequency above 100

According to some threads I've read - it's safe to OC the PCI-E bus up to 120mhz but my card is only stable up to 109mhz????????????????????
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 27, 2011 1:13:39 PM

catspaw, please start your own thread. Don't highjack this one. Basic rule here is one thread, one problem. There's nothing wrong with refering to this one, but please, start your own thread. Besides, starting your own thread gets you more points. That's called "enlightened self interest". :) 
m
l
October 27, 2011 1:26:58 PM

jsc said:
catspaw, please start your own thread. Don't highjack this one. Basic rule here is one thread, one problem. There's nothing wrong with refering to this one, but please, start your own thread. Besides, startinfg your own thread gets you more points. That's called "enlightened self interest". :) 

:kaola:  Thanks for that JSC!!
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 27, 2011 1:36:12 PM

Maskilah said:

According to most threads that I have read, it isn't safe to push the PCIe bus that high. But it doesn't really matter that the motherboard bus can run at 120 MHz if your video card is stable only to 109 MHz.

I bet you are running with Automatic memory settings. If so, put your memory settings on Manual and select a System Memory Multiplier of 2.0. If you have a Q6600, you will see your memory clock drop to 533 MHz. Now start pushing the FSB freq upwards.

Don't worry about the relatively low memory clock. Core2 systems gain little extra performance from overclocking memory. You may gain a little more memory stability by increasing the memory voltage to 2.2 volts.

Speaking from experience, the stock heatsink is good only to about 3.0 GHz.

You should keep your load temps under 70 C and your CPU core voltage under 1.50 volts.
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:01:04 PM

jsc said:
According to most threads that I have read, it isn't safe to push the PCIe bus that high. But it doesn't really matter that the motherboard bus can run at 120 MHz if your video card is stable only to 109 MHz.

I bet you are running with Automatic memory settings. If so, put your memory settings on Manual and select a System Memory Multiplier of 2.0. If you have a Q6600, you will see your memory clock drop to 533 MHz. Now start pushing the FSB freq upwards.

Don't worry about the relatively low memory clock. Core2 systems gain little extra performance from overclocking memory. You may gain a little more memory stability by increasing the memory voltage to 2.2 volts.

Speaking from experience, the stock heatsink is good only to about 3.0 GHz.

You should keep your load temps under 70 C and your CPU core voltage under 1.50 volts.

Thanks for the advise,

Nope not running auto memory setting I have my Memory Multiplier on 2.5 with my memory voltage on 2.1 Volts. I have dropped it in the past and it makes no difference, my only issue here is that if I run a game @ 3.4Ghz my PC freezes with auto or 112mhz PCI-e frequency but it posts and runs fine outside of games, if I run it @ 3.3Ghz with a 109Mhz frequency it posts fine and runs games fine, can you think of any reason why I need to OC my PCI-e bus to get beyond 3.05Ghz.
m
l
!