Sign in with
Your question

ASUS G73SW-A2 Sata controller

Last response: in Storage
June 14, 2011 12:41:45 PM

Hello,

Can anyone confirm if the ASUS G73SW-A2 laptop supports SATA 3 hard drives?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
a c 314 G Storage
June 14, 2011 12:49:58 PM

I can confirm that it does. I'd have to look to tell you if it supports them at SATA III speeds or SATA II speeds, but the various levels of SATA are backwards-compatible, so attaching an SATA III to an SATA II port will result in a perfectly good SATA II connection.

Were you concerned with working at all or working at above 3.0 Gb/sec?

Edit - the HM65 chipset is a "High-speed storage interface supporting up to 6 Gb/s transfer rate for improved data access. Provides up to 6 SATA ports at 3 Gb/s with up to 2 ports supporting 6 Gb/s transfer rates." So my best guess is that, if you put in a drive that can transfer above 3 Gb/s, you will get above 3 Gb/s.
m
l
June 14, 2011 2:36:00 PM

WyomingKnott said:
I can confirm that it does. I'd have to look to tell you if it supports them at SATA III speeds or SATA II speeds, but the various levels of SATA are backwards-compatible, so attaching an SATA III to an SATA II port will result in a perfectly good SATA II connection.

Were you concerned with working at all or working at above 3.0 Gb/sec?

Edit - the HM65 chipset is a "High-speed storage interface supporting up to 6 Gb/s transfer rate for improved data access. Provides up to 6 SATA ports at 3 Gb/s with up to 2 ports supporting 6 Gb/s transfer rates." So my best guess is that, if you put in a drive that can transfer above 3 Gb/s, you will get above 3 Gb/s.

I am aware that it is backwards compatible and I am aware of the chipset specs.

I want to know if I buy a SATA 3 drive, will the laptop utilize up to 6 GB/sec.

And as a second question, which bays use utilize SATA 3. There are two hard drives already installed and the Blu-Ray drive can also support a hard drive.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
a c 314 G Storage
June 14, 2011 4:50:59 PM

The description above is as close as I can come. Up to two ports support 6 Gb/s. Doesn't say if it's two specific ports, or if any two ports can do it but then the rest come in at 3 Gb/s. Can you ask the manufacturer?
m
l
!