Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive problem !!!! Please help !!!

Last response: in Storage
June 14, 2011 12:57:52 PM

my hard drive is is not dtected in the BIOs but when the computer starts

there is a blank space besides the sata ports name for eg.

MASTER SATA 1 :
SLAVE SATA 2 : WD 320........

what could be the problem and how can i recover my data i am not able to boot my computer............!!!!!!!!!

Please help guys..........!!!!!!!!!

More about : hard drive problem

a c 289 G Storage
June 14, 2011 1:05:11 PM

Simplest test first: Re-connect it to the same motherboard using a new power cable, a new data cable, and a different SATA port.

Second simplest next: Connect it to some other computer and see if you can recover the data.

If neither of these works, some of our highly experienced data-recovery folks will help you, but let's try the trivial solutions first.

BTW: Are these SATA drives? What motherboard / prebuilt system do you have? Did lightning strike your house recently?
m
l
June 14, 2011 1:14:35 PM

i have a
Gigabyte ga-ma74gmt
amd phenom II x2 550 3.1ghz
2gb ram
WD 500gb hdd
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2011 1:17:04 PM

i tried reconnecting with a different sata cable to a different port but nt with a new power cable
but when i connect my other hard drive to the same port and with the same cables it works fine.
tried it on my friends comp but in vain......
how much time would it take to recover 400gb of data from a professional?
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
June 14, 2011 4:53:20 PM

Well, them's good tests. You ruled out the easy things.

One to seven days, and one to three thousand dollars, and depending on the problem even a lab may not be able to recover the data. You might want to try it yourself first if the $$ are not plentiful.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
June 15, 2011 5:31:36 PM

Tara_Patrick:

Educate me: why do you think it is bad sectors rather than a corrupted partition table or other data structure?
m
l
June 15, 2011 6:46:12 PM

i have already given the drive for recovery.............lets see what all can be recovered thank you wyomingknott & tara_patrick all the info that you shared will always be helpful in the future............!!!!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
!