Free dvd-rom/cd-rw drivers for win xp pro

badbear44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
My laptop stopped seeing the drive. It isn't there when I open My Computer but it is listed in the device driver but with the yellow problem symbol. Do I need drivers or a new drive? Thanks for your time.
Bear

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Right click it in Device Manager, go to Properties and click on the Driver tab and then on Update Driver. That may sort the problem if the system can find a better one.

Failing that, click on Details and then on HardwareIDs. Note the four characters after VEN for Vendor and the four following DEV for Device and input them at http://www.pcidatebase.com and follow the links to the manufacturer's site - the safest place to find drivers.

badbear44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Saga,
Thanks for the reply. When I click on update driver I get, "windows cannot load the driver for this hardware. The driver may be missing or corrupted. Code 30". And under details there is no ven# or dev#...?
Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
Bear

Sorry - to find the VEN and DEV information, look under Drivers then scroll to HardwareIDs and it should be there. It might be enough to uninstall teh device then restart the system to see if it can recover. I've had this Code 39 error a number of times and always with the dreaded Toshiba Samsung branded optical drives so TSST might show up somewhere. If it does, in my experience you may as well simply replace it.

badbear44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Thanks again for your help.
Bear