Are these two cards the same?

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
The second link just shows product lists of GTX285's.

Like hunter said there is a significant advantage fro 1GB to 2GB, but you will need very high resolutions to notice it, otherwise its not worth it. Generally speaking, anything under 30" screens, 1GB should be enough.

Again, like hunter said, get a GTX275.

Dont buy anything yet, AMD/ATI are due to release their next gen GPU's, the 5*** series. This should bring down the prices of current gen cards, which you can either choose to get the new AMD cards or save some monies on your current choices.

itsanss

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Sorry! Meant to post this link as the second.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143201&cm_re=bfg_gtx_285-_-14-143-201-_-Product

Thanks for the advice on the 1GB and 2GB. I think, however, I'll stay with the GTX285 for now.

When are AMD/ATI supposed to release their new stuff? I really should be ordering all my stuff today, but will more than likely be tomorrow. My second computer hardware class (that I'll be building computer in) starts in three weeks so I have little time to spare before I need to have all parts in hand and ready to assemble.

Thanks so much for the quick replies.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
If your building for a computer course, shouldnt they supply parts for you to mess around with?

I know a guy in college, who did that, bought the best parts for his course, only to find that he doesnt need such garbage and ended up wanting to sell it a week later. Cost him £1200 for his PC and tried selling me it, I offered him £600, lol, on the basis that 1. I didnt need such high end garbage and 2. Its now classed as used parts.

Anyhow, AMD/ATI will be releasing new cards on the 22nd, thats 22 September 2009, so wait another week, which Im sure you can, when your course starts in 3 weeks.

Here are the differences from your links, using the spec's detailed on Newegg's site:
Card 1 - Card 2
Core
702hz - 712Mhz

TV Out
HDTV/S-Video - Not Specified

Standard Packaging is slightly different, and then you have the obvious FREE game with Card 1.

Other than the Core clock, being slightly more than your original choice and the FREE game with the newer card, theres no real difference. They are both the same card.

itsanss

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Excellent. Thanks a lot.

My class does have everything necessary to learn to take apart and put together computers. However, this is my chance, as I have already spoken with the instructor, to have a person (instructor) that has made a living from computer hardware for 15 years to help me (that has taken a computer all the way apart and put it back together ONCE...a week ago. lol) put this monster together. In my mind, having the instructor help me in class, in person, greatly decreases the chance that one of my new toys'll get screwed up in the build process since I'm a total newb.! :-D

Yeah, I should be able to wait another week or so until the new cards come out. That'd be great if the price came down some! Seems like my build price keeps going up and up. Haha

Thanks again

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

He said:

"Yeah, I should be able to wait another week or so until the new cards come out. That'd be great if the price came down some!"

So, no he wont do it :D lol, not yet anyhow!

itsanss

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Haha Yeah, I can wait eight days! I don't want to, but I will.

You know....rather than save a little money...I could spend the same amount on an even better card!

Anyone know anything about the cards that are about to come out? Compared to the GTX285 performance and price?

Hehehehehe

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
It is rumored that the new 5870 would be comparable to the gtx285 slied. In other words, it is comparable to the gtx295 in performance.

Price wise, again rumored, it should be around $400.

As others have said wait till ATI's show is over next week or after before getting a card unless what you got is on the fritz or got a box that has nothing at all. If it is for a box that has no card at all get something cheap that you could either sell off or put away for in case you have a failure. For me I keep a 8800gtx (green board) that I picked up for $30 that I fixed up and soon to be added to my collection is a rare treat a evga 7900 gtx duo (first GX2) for only $40 after ship and it is a huge card at 12 1/4 in. :eek:
Right now once I can get lucky and get a job I just might get me a 5850 or a 5870 if the price is right.

itsanss

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Would getting a card immediately after it gets released be a bad idea? Would they have a lot of bugs and errors to work through?

Thanks

Only if what you got if failing or had something that is needed to get done (the old time is money rule) then go ahead but I think that this time ATI may have better crafted their drivers so maybe there wont be issues.

PS good luck.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

Not r likely they will be buggy but if there is anything wrong with the drivers it will be fixed within a month or so which just means download the new ones and your all fixed.

The only bad thing about buying a card when it is brand new is that the price goes down after a few months of being on the market.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Maybe about 5 or more years ago, buggy/faulty cards were common, but its not the case nowadays. So you should be ok in this sense.

Like Dark said, the main disadvantage is that prices will fall soon after, so you pay $400 and then 1 or 2 months later it is $300, etc.