Holding command prompt window

When I open a DOS window (Start->Run) and run a command
like "ipconfig", "ping..." etc the command executes and
the window closes immediately.

Is there a setting that stops the window closing until
the user chooses to do so? I never get to see the results
of my commands which makes various debugging tasks
impossible..

Thanks

Alan

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

AFAIK there is no setting to 'hold' the window once the app has finished, so
you can read the result.
I guess you could say, this is *by design*.

However, nothing stops you from going start --> run --> cmd --> <enter>
that will open up the command processor window and now just type your
ipconfig and look at the results at your leasure.

Those are the breaks.

:))

"Alan Austin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I open a DOS window (Start->Run) and run a command
> like "ipconfig", "ping..." etc the command executes and
> the window closes immediately.
>
> Is there a setting that stops the window closing until
> the user chooses to do so? I never get to see the results
> of my commands which makes various debugging tasks
> impossible..
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan

You have to open a command prompt first.

Try this:
Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
When the command prompt window opens |
Type: ipconfig, ping, etc.
Don't forget to hit the Enter key.

es

In news:6ab901c47599$d959e5d0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Alan Austin <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> When I open a DOS window (Start->Run) and run a command
> like "ipconfig", "ping..." etc the command executes and
> the window closes immediately.
>
> Is there a setting that stops the window closing until
> the user chooses to do so? I never get to see the results
> of my commands which makes various debugging tasks
> impossible..
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan

Doh! (slaps forehead)

What an amateur.

Thanks for the advice (so obvious now I think about it).

Alan