Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my MoBo dead??

Last response: in Motherboards
February 13, 2010 12:40:57 PM

Hi Guys

In big trouble here, MoBo I think.

Sorry for the long post, but it is an amalgamation of about 4 previous to another Board, who have not responded :cry: 

My PC seems to have developed trouble just today, system spec below:

CPU: Intel pentium d 945 sl 3.46ghz
Motherboard: Biostar GF7050V-M7
Mem: 4 GB DDR2 667
HDD: Hitachi DeskStar SATA 500 GByte
Video: On Board NVIDIA GeForce 7050
Sound: On Board Realtek ALC662
Monitor: Dell 17" Flat Panel
Power Supply: ROHS 450w max

Screen freezes, no mouse movements, etc.

On re-boot, same happens, boots into XP, screen hangs again, so re-boot again.

This time, hit the f8, unable to select any other option but the normal boot, cannot move cursor to select, so allow normal boot, same story.

Try DEL to get into BIOS, get in, but eventually unable to select or change various options, as I get garbled screen in BIOS, hangs.

When PC boots again, Biostar screen shows garbled, will not go any further.

Disconnect all SATA Drives, leave USB KB and USB mouse connected, no beeps, no nothing, garbled Biostar screen.

Removed and re-seated RAM, and removed CPU and restored CPU, no joy, no change.

Is my MoBo dead?

OK, so here is what I have done so far.

Took out both RAM modules, booted PC each one in DIMM slot 1.

Same story each time, able to get response to DEL for BIOS, but hangs when going through various setting options there, I mean no response to Kb input, after initial success.

Also, same story with Reboot, picking any of the F8 options, Safe Mode, Last Good, Normal. Initial Kb input accepted, but hangs when it looks like I have re-booted successfully, will not take any further input after a short period.

Here below is a link to the MoBo I have, I think this is it.

http://common.ddix.ru/data/download/brands/biostar/manu...

Any suggestions regarding PSU, can I check voltages from this thing easily?

If I have to replace the MoBo, which would you all suggest, like, this is not a high-end machine, and not a gamer or intensive stuff like CAD. Just an average home PC for browsing, a little home office stuff, and the like.

Reset BIOS as per these instructions

Quote:
The best way to clear the CMOS is to first cut the power from the wall (ie... unplug from the wall socket, or turn off the switch on the back side of the power supply). Second, hit the power button to discharge any stored power. Third, remove the on-board battery (usually located just above the CMOS jumper pins) which is about the size of a quarter. Fourth, move the jumper from pins 2 and 3 to pins 1 and 2 for 10 or 15 seconds. Then put in back in it's original position. Replace battery, and restore power.

Results are No Joy, was able to get into BIOS settings, change date/time, etc, boot-up device , etc.

Saved and exited, but when it attempted to load Xp, hanging again, with both Mem modules, or just one.

I suspect the MoBo myself, but I'm not totally sure.

Before I go and buy another one, anyone hazard an opinion based on what I have already reported.

All help and advice welcome.

Thanks

Danny

More about : mobo dead

a c 78 V Motherboard
February 13, 2010 5:41:17 PM

irishpancake said:
Hi Guys

In big trouble here, MoBo I think.

Sorry for the long post, but it is an amalgamation of about 4 previous to another Board, who have not responded :cry: 

My PC seems to have developed trouble just today, system spec below:

CPU: Intel pentium d 945 sl 3.46ghz
Motherboard: Biostar GF7050V-M7
Mem: 4 GB DDR2 667
HDD: Hitachi DeskStar SATA 500 GByte
Video: On Board NVIDIA GeForce 7050
Sound: On Board Realtek ALC662
Monitor: Dell 17" Flat Panel
Power Supply: ROHS 450w max

Screen freezes, no mouse movements, etc.

On re-boot, same happens, boots into XP, screen hangs again, so re-boot again.

This time, hit the f8, unable to select any other option but the normal boot, cannot move cursor to select, so allow normal boot, same story.

Try DEL to get into BIOS, get in, but eventually unable to select or change various options, as I get garbled screen in BIOS, hangs.

When PC boots again, Biostar screen shows garbled, will not go any further.

Disconnect all SATA Drives, leave USB KB and USB mouse connected, no beeps, no nothing, garbled Biostar screen.

Removed and re-seated RAM, and removed CPU and restored CPU, no joy, no change.

Is my MoBo dead?

OK, so here is what I have done so far.

Took out both RAM modules, booted PC each one in DIMM slot 1.

Same story each time, able to get response to DEL for BIOS, but hangs when going through various setting options there, I mean no response to Kb input, after initial success.

Also, same story with Reboot, picking any of the F8 options, Safe Mode, Last Good, Normal. Initial Kb input accepted, but hangs when it looks like I have re-booted successfully, will not take any further input after a short period.

Here below is a link to the MoBo I have, I think this is it.

http://common.ddix.ru/data/download/...73VM7-Q-B1.pdf
your link is 404 - Not Found
I think this link is to your board.

Any suggestions regarding PSU, can I check voltages from this thing easily?
Can you post the make and model of your PSU?

If I have to replace the MoBo, which would you all suggest, like, this is not a high-end machine, and not a gamer or intensive stuff like CAD. Just an average home PC for browsing, a little home office stuff, and the like.

Reset BIOS as per these instructions

Quote:
The best way to clear the CMOS is to first cut the power from the wall (ie... unplug from the wall socket, or turn off the switch on the back side of the power supply). Second, hit the power button to discharge any stored power. Third, remove the on-board battery (usually located just above the CMOS jumper pins) which is about the size of a quarter. Fourth, move the jumper from pins 2 and 3 to pins 1 and 2 for 10 or 15 seconds. Then put in back in it's original position. Replace battery, and restore power.

Results are No Joy, was able to get into BIOS settings, change date/time, etc, boot-up device , etc.

Saved and exited, but when it attempted to load Xp, hanging again, with both Mem modules, or just one.

I suspect the MoBo myself, but I'm not totally sure.

Before I go and buy another one, anyone hazard an opinion based on what I have already reported.

All help and advice welcome.

Thanks

Danny

I think it may be the board, but it may be the PSU. Verify that all the power cables are connected properly and firmly seated, including the 4-pin CPU cable.
m
l
February 13, 2010 10:16:19 PM

Thanks Treefrog07

Sorry for the broken link, copied from another post, and was shortened, your link is correct, this should have been mine:

http://common.ddix.ru/data/download/brands/biostar/manu...

Link fixed in OP.

Thanks for your help so far, I will post again as soon as I check out make and model of PSU.

Re: including the 4-pin CPU cable.

Do you mean the 4-pin CPU Fan Cable?

I am going to check out voltages also, using the method shown below:

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_4.html

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_5.html
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 V Motherboard
February 13, 2010 10:49:08 PM

You're welcome. Yes, the 4-pin CPU power cable. If you can find the PSU make and model we can google for posts, reviews, and known issues with yours.
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
February 14, 2010 1:08:29 AM

jsc: I keep forgetting about the stickies.
m
l
February 14, 2010 12:34:04 PM

treefrog07 said:
You're welcome. Yes, the 4-pin CPU power cable. If you can find the PSU make and model we can google for posts, reviews, and known issues with yours.

Hi again

OK so my PSU is labelled:

Win Power Switching PSU
ATX 450

Max o/p power: 450W

label also shows:

Input
115V AC
10A Max
60Hz

230V AC
5A Max
50 Hz.

Output
+12V 20A Max
+5V 40V Max
+3.3V 28V Max

-5V 0.5A Max
-12V 0.8A Max
+5V/SB 2.0A Max

There is also a big ROHS compliance label on the PSU.

I have checked the Output voltages on the MB connector, by bridging the Power On Pin to Ground), and all are there (except the -5V, which does not seem to be wired).

I checked the +3.3V, -12V, +5V, +5V/SB, +12V.

All seem to be present and at correct reading.

These are on a 20-pin connector, plus a separate 4-pin, which connect to the MoBo 24-pin socket.

m
l
February 14, 2010 1:07:54 PM

Hi Guys:

Sorry for coming back in here, just on a point of information.

I had not seen jsc's post regarding the troubleshooting sticky.

I just seem to have gone through quite a few steps in there, and this is not a new build.

This box was working away, with no apparent problems before it failed as outlined in my OP.

I had not ever opened the case, and no new hardware was installed.

I bought this of eBay, about two years ago, as a complete system, and I have only updated the software, using the Microsoft Update, and other utility's such as Secunia PSI.

So what do you think, new MoBo required??

Which would you advise, given my requirements, like, not a gamer, no massive s/w requirements like CAD, or suchlike, just an ordinary regular user, mostly Internet, and some Office stuff.
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
February 14, 2010 3:12:24 PM

Yes, try a new board. I googled your PSU, and there were some descriptions, etc., but I didn't find any posts/sites that show documented problems with the PSU.
m
l
February 14, 2010 4:06:40 PM

OK, Looks as if I am going to need a new MoBo.

Quote:
So what do you think, new MoBo required??

Which would you advise, given my requirements, like, not a gamer, no massive s/w requirements like CAD, or suchlike, just an ordinary regular user, mostly Internet, and some Office stuff.

Just wondering, given my relatively basic requirements, which MoBo to replace the one I suspect has gone south?

I have the 4Gig Ram (2X2Gigs): CPU: Intel pentium d 945 sl 3.46ghz: HDD: Hitachi DeskStar SATA 500 GByte;

This has Microsoft Windows XP Sp 3.

Will I need to re-activate the OS when MoBo changed?

I may have a problem there, as when I bought this (eBay) there was no sticker on showing product key, etc. All updates from MS have been installed.
m
l

Best solution

a c 78 V Motherboard
February 14, 2010 5:35:41 PM

Given your info, you have some choices:
-- If you buy the same motherboard, and plug-in your components, WinXP won't know the difference, and you are good to go.

vendors I found for a replacement board:
http://www.pcplanetsystems.com/abc/product_details.php?category_id=116&item_id=3161

http://www.pricebat.us/biostar-gf7050v-m7-lga-775-nvidia-geforce-7050-micro.p_3031557/

Elitegroup's version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001C41UCK/ref=asc_df_B001C41UCK1030478?ie=UTF8&condition=new&tag=dealtmp10951-20&creative=380345&creativeASIN=B001C41UCK&linkCode=asm

Buying the same motherboard will cost $35 to $80, and you can continue using all your existing hardware and software.

-- If you go with an entirely new mobo, you would likely have to do a repair installation, which requires the Win CD and the product key. You can find your product key with Belarc Advisor. A repair install doesn't destroy your Win setup - you don't lose applications that you would have to re-install if you did a clean install of WinXP. MS OEM license says you have to keep the same HW or the license dies with the machine. In your case, you are keeping your HDD, RAM, CPU, and PSU, so MS would likely re-new your activation with no problems.
Since you don't have the Win CD needed to do a repair install, you may have to buy one with a new product key. You can use that to do your repair installation on different motherboard.

Buying a different motherboard will cost the price of that board, plus about $130 for an OEM copy of WinXP.

I think I would go the for exact replacement board and pay the $35-$80.
February 14, 2010 6:00:03 PM

Best answer selected by irishpancake.
m
l
February 15, 2010 8:07:31 AM

Treefrog07

Thanks for all the help. I will try to source the MoBo in UK or my own Ireland, no great success so far however.

But your held was invaluable, in that it conformed my worst suspicions. I will try eBay again.

You have done all you could, thanks again.

IP
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
February 15, 2010 12:34:12 PM

You're welcome. I wish you success.
m
l
!