5ghz OC Buzz noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

While my cpu was @5ghz with prime95 on, my power supply and my motherboard starts making a buzz noise. My power supply makes sort of like an oscillating buzz noise while my motherboard after a while starts making a loud buzz. Should all this be expected at this high frequency or should I get an RMA?
My cpu is at 5ghz@1.428v.

Solution
wait a minute... thats an extreme amount of voltage you are pumping into that... 1.42... even tomshardware capped theres at a max of 1.38

and I quote: We've learned through trial, error, and dead processors that voltage levels beyond 1.45 V at above-ambient temperatures can kill an Intel CPU etched at 32 nm (Sandy Bridge-based parts included) very quickly. Those same processors die a fairly slow death at voltage levels between 1.40 V and 1.45 V (somewhere between weeks and months on our test benches). And we're expecting more than a year of reliable service from the parts we've dutifully kept below 1.40 V. Not all motherboards are perfect however. Voltage instability on a particularly cheap motherboard fried one of our processors when...
G

Even when prime 95 is not running, the power supply makes a deep buzz/humm every second. When prime95 is running, its the same volume but much more frequent. I thought it was the fan but I'm not sure.

I haven't noticed the motherboard making that sound at 4.5ghz but at 5ghz I have. I'll have to investigate the exact source later.

G

Geesus. Why did I forget. Sorry.

XFX Core Edition 650w
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3-B3
i5 2500k

My cooler is a hyper 212 evo.

G

What I was doing:
I was OC at 5ghz and I was experimenting with vcore and llc. I was trying to get my load vcore between 1.42 and 1.43 since my cpu was stable at 1.428v last night and I was trying to reduce voltage. It wasn't stable at 1.418 and I couldn't get it a voltage in between so I settled with 1.428 and I was now trying to play with llc so that idle vcore wasn't so high(up to 1.47). My good settings were 1.43V and level5 LLC. Load vcore was at 1.428 and idle was at 1.46 and occasionaly peaked to 1.47 . I read somewhere that idle vcore doesn't matter that much to the cpu... right? Correct me if i'm wrong. I didn't want load vcore to be higher than idle vcore since I thought it was better to have some vdroop left to prevent peaks in voltages.

I was running prime95 at this setting and than 10 minutes in the motherboard started making the noise. The moment I stopped the test it stopped. I've backed down to 4.5ghz@1.3v. No noise by motherboard at this frequency. But the oower supply still making the noise. I was going to run prime95@5ghz over night but I'll wait till tom so that I'm there while I'm testing to make sure nothing goes wrong.

I didn't hear this noise when I first bought it. Could I have caused it by overclocking my gpu and cpu too much? I have a MSI twin frozer ii 560 ti OC to 1ghz@1150v.
Temps for both components are fine. Max cpu temp @5ghz is 72C. Max gpu temp is 80C.

Update: K. I know where the motherboard sound is coming from. Its not a fan, and i thinks its the Voltage Regulator? Its coming from the area above and to the left of the cpu. The sound is not high pitched. Its making a sound something similar to the sound of a fan hitting a wire.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
im going to be honest idk what causing this but i suspect it has something being loose or something to do with the fans.

i would like to see a screenshot of that overclock with prime running as i find it a little hard to believe with that high an overclock with that low of voltage.

G

I thought it was a fan too but I checked everything and its coming from the mobo. I'll update a pic in a min. I've just started it. Its only been on 20min though. I've run it 6hrs before but i had to stop it. I'm trying to test it for 12+hrs. I'll update a new pic tom. I've decided to run it overnight since it doesn't seem like it will explode or anything.

G

Capture.png

Don't know why but core 1 is always the fastest and coolest while core 2 is the slowest and hottest. :/
The 76C temp was when I was running 3dmark and my graphics card started heated everything up. Real max temp with only cpu running is 73C on core 2.

Any possible solutions to the noise from mobo and psu? Should I talk to support and get replacements? Problem is its been way past 30 days and can't get RMA but I am under warranty.

G

Hyper 212 evo... with excessive tim. A dime amount in fact by accident. :p But miraculously low temps! :D

If you read my previous posts, it is not only the mobo but ALSO the psu. I'm 100% sure now that the sounds originate from the psu and the mobo. PSU makes an oscillating hum. Mobo makes a constant rapid buzz. I've disconnected and reconnected every ham and panel. The case nor fans are part of the problem.

wait a minute... thats an extreme amount of voltage you are pumping into that... 1.42... even tomshardware capped theres at a max of 1.38

and I quote: We've learned through trial, error, and dead processors that voltage levels beyond 1.45 V at above-ambient temperatures can kill an Intel CPU etched at 32 nm (Sandy Bridge-based parts included) very quickly. Those same processors die a fairly slow death at voltage levels between 1.40 V and 1.45 V (somewhere between weeks and months on our test benches). And we're expecting more than a year of reliable service from the parts we've dutifully kept below 1.40 V. Not all motherboards are perfect however. Voltage instability on a particularly cheap motherboard fried one of our processors when it was set to only1.38 V. Subsequently, you've seen us use 1.35 V for the overclocking tests in older motherboard round-ups, embracing 1.38 V to 1.40 V in more recent pieces covering higher-end platforms.

here is a link to said article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/automatic-overclock-motherboard-cpu,3048.html

Solution
G

So no 5ghz? :/ I was hoping I was lucky and able to do daily use 5ghz since temps are low and voltages are relatively low compared to the chart I saw here.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/968053-official-sandy-stable-club-benchmarks-stable.html
Plus I'm running small fft vs blend.

But I'll back down to 4.5 ;). But I still want to check my mobo and psu. Don't want them causing bigger problems later on.

the noise... is the same noise im getting, its like with those older comps when you put heavy load its like an electrical noise or something right?

ive been running this rig for about a year and its all still working fine so i doubt its anything to worry about

Athlon 2 x3
random mobo (cheaped out)
5670 512mb
4g ddr2

G

Ok. So the mobos ok. I've backed off to 4.5ghz and sound is gone. But the power supply? It used to be completely silent but even on idle its making a humming sound. Nothing I can do about it other than talk to support about it I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.