ASUS P5QL Pro issues - Won't Post

Seren

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hi,
I built a system approximately 9 mos ago and recently began having problems.

Asus P5QL PRO MOBO
Intel Wolfdale 2.8 Ghz LGA 775 Dual Core CPU
4 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1066 Mhz RAM 2 x 2 GB
eVGA 9600GT Superclocked VGA
Antec 550W modular power supply

I had the computer go into a BSOD boot cycle, from which I was able to discern that I memory issues. One of the 2 GB sticks of RAM died and I RMA'd it to Corsair.

Yesterday, my new RAM arrived! In the meantime, while I was waiting for my RAM to show up, I ordered a new WD Caviar Black 1 TB HDD.

I installed the new ram in slots A1 and B1 to run dual channel, and started my system.

Got the post beep, and checked the RAM, the MOBO recognized it, and I started to install windows 7 after formatting, and creating a couple of partitions in my new TB drive.

I got everything installed was able to surf online, and went to windows update. Downloaded a bunch of updates, rebooted and went to bed after it said it had completed updating.

Wife woke me up 30 minutes later saying that the computer was froze up, and wouldn't do anything.

Sure enough, it was locked up so I re-booted it, and now, I can't get the board to post.

I have the green power LED lit up on the mobo, the case fans spin up, I can hear the HDD spin up from start, but no post beep.

My gut instinct tells me I have memory issues still, or, my mobo just took a crap on me. However, I haven't built a system in a while, and am a little out of the loop.

Could I bother some of the bright folks on this board to help me figure this out?

I am seriously thinking about ripping everything out of my case, and buying a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P board.

Newegg reviews show a large number of those with your experience. RMA the board and go for another make or model. Also, when I first boot a new build, I always boot at stock settings into memtest86+, using a bootable CD image available on the memtest86+ page here. I do that because today's high-performance RAM can be a real problem - if it's not good, I want to know it before I start loading OS, and actually try to use the machine.

Seren

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hiya Treefrog,
I think I'm going to have to take your advice. Already I've started to get blue screen flickers and resets.

I backed the RAM back down to DDR2 800 Mhz.

I'm thinking of switching to Gigabyte, what is good for a Dual Core LGA 775 CPU? I have a 2.8 Ghz Wolfdale processor.

Seren

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
okay, I wasn't up to snuff on all the numbers, and codes for the Gigabyte boards. I wouldn't mind getting something solid, and dependable. What I don't want to have to do, is do this all over again in 9 mos.