Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming rig: Final Build (question on PSU, FAN)

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2009 7:16:11 AM

EDIT: Final Build updated please see last post by me. Thanks!

It's important that I share my story real fast so you know how to recommend :) 
The last time I built my PC was in 2002 I bought an AMD FX55, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, 2 GB of Corsair RAM, and I've since then upgraded the Video card to X2 9600 OCT, Oh and BFG 800WATT PSU. This PC has lasted me an extrememly long time and was still able to run the best of the best games for the most part. On Tuesday, last week, this PC officially shorted out. The PSU failed and fryed the CPU/MOBO. I luckily just bought a 17 Inch Macbook Pro so I'm currently using this and believe it or not in Bootcamp this Macbook runs L4D, TF2, and my games better!

Here in lies my dilemma:

I have been studying this site for days trying to learn what the hell has happened to PC building in the past 7 years and i'm confused as hell. Overclocking was something that only the pro's did back in the day and now it seems mainstream with stock coolers!??! I'm going to list below what I think I should get after the research I have done, but if for any reason you think I should wait please let me know.

One last nugget, what the hell does everyone keep talking about when they keep on mentioning the X58 was a ripoff and the X55 is going to be way better yadda yadda?

So here it goes...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1 - 2 weeks (Pending if I should wait for this i5 or x55?)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Games, running TV shows while playing games (2 monitors)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitors I have a 37 inch 1080p samsung and a 24 inch samsung. PSU, BFG is replacing this under warranty, Video Cards for now are ok I figured i'll wait till the Direct X11 cards come out?

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Always have used Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: None really (cant believe intel is that good now!)

OVERCLOCKING: I have never, but I suppose I will if it is easy.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have been looking at the i7 920 but can't pick what ASUS board to go with.

Preferably stick around $1000 but can stretch a little if necessary :) 

Thanks for the help!
August 24, 2009 7:57:42 AM

well for one thing...if u really used a 800W PSU with ur old system, it was damn overkill :kaola: 
and since ur out of the loop i guess i'll fill u in a lil before i suggest anything :) 

intel is releasing Lynnfield cpus very soon (Core i5 and i7 branding) and the P55 is the chipset (the only one) which will support them...the new cpus will also need a new socket, LGA 1156.... thts enough for now i guess ;) 

x58 is a bit expensive, but its sure worth it

so...about ur build, here's a rough list to get u started(im assuming u dont plan on OCing):

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (since u insist on an i7 build)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P or the stock HSF will do fine if u dont plan on OCing

Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe

RAM: 6GB Tri-Channel kit @ 1333MHz (any good brand like Corsair, OCZ, etc will do..and make sure u get low timings like CL 7 or 8)

Case: you didnt really mention ur taste so im gonna leave this for u to decide...but i suggest u go with the Cooler Master Stacker 832 SE, its a nice case

HDD: grab a nice 1TB hdd (samsung, western digital, etc)....they're pretty cheap nowadays

That rough list should give u enough idea....and about OCing, yeah its pretty easy to OC these days, though a stock cooler wont get u very far...as for me, i think OCing is great to squeeze some extra performance out of ur rig but i dont think its necessary unless ur being bottlenecked....CPU OCing will help if u have multi-gpu setups

good luck with ur build :D 
August 24, 2009 1:30:01 PM

Thanks for the quick response! Is it worth waiting for the new lynnfield chipsets?
Related resources
August 24, 2009 6:23:29 PM

Just as an alternate for some suggestions on parts,

CPU coolers: Cogage True Spirit. Scythe Mugen 2, Xigmatek S1283, Coolermaster V8

Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

RAM: OCZ seems to have some of the best RAM for the money when it comes to speed and timings.

Cases: Antec 300/900, Coolermaster 690, HAF 922/932

HDD: WD Caviar Black in 1TB or 640GB.
August 24, 2009 8:22:57 PM

kid-goku said:

Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe

Is there a specific reason to go with the deluxe? I was debating whether to get the deluxe and someone told me there was no reason to. I know motherboard+processor are critical base framework so I don't want to make a mistake on my motherboard choice. I am going with a similar overall set up too.
August 24, 2009 10:36:23 PM

well the asus p6t deluxe has a slight advantage over the regular P6t.
for example: 1. P6T deluxe = P6T - Tri-SLI
2. P6T = ....Deluxe - Good thermal design
3. P6T deluxe = P6T - Sas controller
and some others..., any way people tend to prefer the Deluxe version and i don't really know why. (also would like to as i'm in the same position as you ;)  )
for the RAM i'll stick with corsair as they are the best quality available and for the timings get the XMS3 W/DHX+ pc106xx 6GB Kit(if you're not planning to overclock the mem :D  .)
August 24, 2009 11:55:30 PM

My two cents...

Core i7 920
ASUS P6T SE (why pay for the extras of the deluxe when you don't plan on major OCing)
G.SKILL DDR3 1333 6GB (CAS 7)
WD 640 Black
Antec 300 Illusion
Your PSU (I would recommend either Corsair, Antec & PC Power&Cooling instead but you have 1 so I guess use it)
XFX 4890 (Best GPU for the price)
Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V

I would recommend not waiting for the Core i5. The Core i9 will be released on the current i7 socket next year, which is a Hex core (6 cores)... As I said just my two cents... :D 
August 25, 2009 12:48:43 AM

edit: soz for double post...read below
August 25, 2009 1:03:54 AM

actually i suggested the deluxe only cuz i thought it looks awsome :D 
but u could go with the P6T, no diff really except for the price and a few features

and no, its not worth waiting for Lynnfield....ur better off with an LGA1366 platform cuz as previously stated Core i9 (six cores) will be out soon and it'll support only X58 and LGA1366 so that leaves u room to upgrade later if u need to, not that u'll really need to upgrade the cpu since the i7 920 is freakin fast and will last u for a long time
August 25, 2009 3:46:42 PM

Well you all definitely helped me pick my solution. I was worried that the LGA1366 was going to become obsolete with the new chipsets coming out and everything was switching to the new LGA1156.

That being not true and the fact that this will be future upgradable I am going to go with the i7-920 processor and OC it a little. It looks like you can OC to about 3.6 with the stock, so if I buy one of the coolers you recommended I should be good to go.

Is OC'ing pretty easy nowadays? Does anyone have a guide that they recommend? When I was really into building PC's way back when I never learned about the 1.3v etc etc and all the voltage and stablility issues. I'm assuming it has become easier since then. If anyone knows of a great guide I would love to take the time to read it and study up about it. Till a response comes in i'll Google the question before someone comes in and tells me to do my own research again.

I'm going to spend the next to days researching the stuff that you guys recommended and i'll post what I buy! :) 

thanks for all the help!!!
August 25, 2009 4:54:31 PM

MaynardLD50 said:
Well you all definitely helped me pick my solution. I was worried that the LGA1366 was going to become obsolete with the new chipsets coming out and everything was switching to the new LGA1156.

That being not true and the fact that this will be future upgradable I am going to go with the i7-920 processor and OC it a little. It looks like you can OC to about 3.6 with the stock, so if I buy one of the coolers you recommended I should be good to go.

Is OC'ing pretty easy nowadays? Does anyone have a guide that they recommend? When I was really into building PC's way back when I never learned about the 1.3v etc etc and all the voltage and stablility issues. I'm assuming it has become easier since then. If anyone knows of a great guide I would love to take the time to read it and study up about it. Till a response comes in i'll Google the question before someone comes in and tells me to do my own research again.

I'm going to spend the next to days researching the stuff that you guys recommended and i'll post what I buy! :) 

thanks for all the help!!!

Here is a guide for overclocking for the Core i7... Guide to overclocking the i7.... it is pretty straight forward.
August 25, 2009 6:03:21 PM

Agree with above. At any rate, I recommend waiting for the release of the ATI 5xxx cards which should be in a few weeks. That should drive down prices for the ATI 4xxx CPUs, esp the 4890.
August 25, 2009 6:20:20 PM

If your old BFG PSU took other parts with it when it died, are you sure you want to trust your new rig to another one? Unless your old one is being replaced with an upgraded model (Full Range, Active PFC, 80+; I'm guessing the old one had none of these), then for a single HD4890 get the 550W Antec Truepower New for $80. For two of them, ATI/AMD certifies the 650W version ($95, although the 750W version is only $5 more).
August 25, 2009 6:23:16 PM

Would you consider buying an AMD chip? I think that the versatility of the current chips they have (AM3 works with AM2 and AM2+) and the price/performance ratio should make it a viable choice. Plus, I've heard of people clocking their Phenom II 955's to 4Ghz. I ordered a build with that chip the other day, and reading reviews and such, it looks pretty promising.
August 25, 2009 6:23:21 PM

let the confusion continue
August 25, 2009 6:24:12 PM

his already got the i7
August 26, 2009 5:24:27 AM

starting to put stuff into the cart now. I think i'm sold on the difference for the P6T deluxe. It looks like it cools a little bit better with the thermal thats on the board. I'm definitely getting the i7-920, AMD is pretty much dead to me right now.

I'm going to take the advice and get a new PSU also, its a shame though considering that I spend so much on that 800w.
August 26, 2009 8:32:22 AM

What speed ram can the P6T deluxe take? I notice it says 1333, but the rest all say O.C next to them? Does that mean that it only can take 1333?
August 26, 2009 4:30:54 PM

it can take jus bout any ddr3 ram
August 26, 2009 4:58:23 PM

obsidian86 said:
it can take jus bout any ddr3 ram

So I could buy 1600 than. I didn't notice any 1333 at 8 cas and none at 7 cas
August 26, 2009 5:02:06 PM

there are quite a few at cas 7 even some at cas 6 in both 1333 and 1600
August 26, 2009 5:17:14 PM

obsidian86 said:
there are quite a few at cas 7 even some at cas 6 in both 1333 and 1600

I must be insane because I am not seeing them on newegg i'll have to check again
August 26, 2009 7:02:33 PM
August 26, 2009 7:16:52 PM

FINAL BUILD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cooler Master HAF 932

WD Caviar Black 1TB (figured why not get the 1TB)

Corsair 750
This I have a question about. I own the BFG 800w PSU, is it worth jumping to this? Better tech?

OCZ 6GB DDR 1600 CAS 8.8.8.24
I like Cosair, but it was $184 for the same thing. Tell me why I should get it and I'll upgrade it.

P6T Deluxe (I know that everyone says this is a better board, I like the thermal design better seems like it keeps the i7 cooler. If i'm wasting money let me know because I'll probably jump for an i9 next year)

i7-920 (Hope to overclock it to 3.4gHz considering how easy it looks)

I cannot for the life of me pick a fan/heatsink. Too many choices.

I just want to say thanks for all the help up until this point. I cant believe I have to ask these questions considering how much I was into building PC's in 2002, but this should help fuel me getting back into them.
August 27, 2009 5:43:51 AM

MaynardLD50 said:
FINAL BUILD:

Cooler Master HAF 932

WD Caviar Black 1TB (figured why not get the 1TB)

Corsair 750
This I have a question about. I own the BFG 800w PSU, is it worth jumping to this? Better tech?

OCZ 6GB DDR 1600 CAS 8.8.8.24
I like Cosair, but it was $184 for the same thing. Tell me why I should get it and I'll upgrade it.

P6T Deluxe (I know that everyone says this is a better board, I like the thermal design better seems like it keeps the i7 cooler. If i'm wasting money let me know because I'll probably jump for an i9 next year)

i7-920 (Hope to overclock it to 3.4gHz considering how easy it looks)

I cannot for the life of me pick a fan/heatsink. Too many choices.

I just want to say thanks for all the help up until this point. I cant believe I have to ask these questions considering how much I was into building PC's in 2002, but this should help fuel me getting back into them.

Noctua nhu12p 1366 or thermalright ultra extreme. Noctua is quieter, and an alli in one box solution. Thermalright is cooler at high OC's, but you need to get the fan(s) and base plate seperately. OK, I narrowed your choices down to two.
August 27, 2009 6:53:19 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
The Xigmatek Dark Knight is my favorite i7 HSF.

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail $44.98

Knew that was coming.... The TRUE is very hard to beat for overall cooling effeciency. The Noctua isn't far behind, but is one of the quitest HSF's on the market. The Zigmatek beats the Noctua on some review sites, loses on others, but no where have I seen it beat the TRUE. And it cannot come close to the Noctua for out-of-the-box quietness.

Ok, you could buy some Noctua fans, but then what is the comparative cost?
August 27, 2009 2:29:24 PM

No one mentioned the Core Contact Freezer?
August 27, 2009 2:48:13 PM

How about the COGAGE True Spirit, as well?
!