Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 & XP won't allocate drive letter

Last response: in Storage
June 14, 2011 10:45:33 PM

Hello,
WD SES External Harddrive 3.0 USB. Recently new added video files, mailed to friend who added files and now 2 computers, 1 laptop won't give drive letter. However my Mac does recognise the drive. In Disk Manager comes up as Disk 2 Basic and Healthy. When I rt click to get dropdown only option is to convert to dynamic disk. Any suggestions. Thanks
a b $ Windows 7
a c 143 G Storage
June 15, 2011 1:15:04 AM

Are you saying when you install it on the other PC's... it won't show up in "My Computer" and you can't assign a new drive letter in Disk Management, so you can see it?
m
l
June 19, 2011 5:11:04 PM

Dweens said:
Hello,
WD SES External Harddrive 3.0 USB. Recently new added video files, mailed to friend who added files and now 2 computers, 1 laptop won't give drive letter. However my Mac does recognise the drive. In Disk Manager comes up as Disk 2 Basic and Healthy. When I rt click to get dropdown only option is to convert to dynamic disk. Any suggestions. Thanks

Hi Dweens, I just went through huge frustration because my Win7 machine would not initialize an external WD hard drive. I tried Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management, I tried Device Manager, I studied suggestions from Microsoft Tech sites and Windows user forums.

Here's how I fixed it. If you don't have a backup of the external drive, back it up.
1. Connect the drive to your Mac
2. In Disk Utility (under Utilities) select the external drive
3. Choose Erase with MS-DOS as the erase format (that's why you need a backup)
4. Erase
5. Connect the WD to the Windows machine and start it up
6. At least for me, the drive appeared instantly in Windows 7, with a drive name and everything, all ready to go.

In short, I used my Mac to fix my Windows problem. Maybe that will work for you - good luck!
markwk52
m
l
!