Windows 7 & XP won't allocate drive letter

Hello,
WD SES External Harddrive 3.0 USB. Recently new added video files, mailed to friend who added files and now 2 computers, 1 laptop won't give drive letter. However my Mac does recognise the drive. In Disk Manager comes up as Disk 2 Basic and Healthy. When I rt click to get dropdown only option is to convert to dynamic disk. Any suggestions. Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about windows allocate drive letter
  1. Are you saying when you install it on the other PC's... it won't show up in "My Computer" and you can't assign a new drive letter in Disk Management, so you can see it?
  2. Dweens said:
    Hello,
    WD SES External Harddrive 3.0 USB. Recently new added video files, mailed to friend who added files and now 2 computers, 1 laptop won't give drive letter. However my Mac does recognise the drive. In Disk Manager comes up as Disk 2 Basic and Healthy. When I rt click to get dropdown only option is to convert to dynamic disk. Any suggestions. Thanks

Hi Dweens, I just went through huge frustration because my Win7 machine would not initialize an external WD hard drive. I tried Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management, I tried Device Manager, I studied suggestions from Microsoft Tech sites and Windows user forums.

Here's how I fixed it. If you don't have a backup of the external drive, back it up.
    1. Connect the drive to your Mac
    2. In Disk Utility (under Utilities) select the external drive
    3. Choose Erase with MS-DOS as the erase format (that's why you need a backup)
    4. Erase
    5. Connect the WD to the Windows machine and start it up
    6. At least for me, the drive appeared instantly in Windows 7, with a drive name and everything, all ready to go.

In short, I used my Mac to fix my Windows problem. Maybe that will work for you - good luck!
    markwk52
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7 External Hard Drive Windows XP Storage