Sign in with
Your question

New $1400 Build.

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2009 9:08:11 AM

Hello all, I'm new to the forums and membership thingy.
so the thing is i'm seriously considering a new nice mid-range high-end $1400 gaming rig. :D 
so most parts are already selected but opinions for even the time of purchase is welcomed :pfff:  !
here's it [from newegg.com] :o  :
Case: Cooler master haf 922.
Mobo: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (hope D0 revision)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 3GB (3x1 ddr3) CL8 1600MHz
GPU: 2x HIS HD4770 CF
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H50
DVD Drive: Pioneer DVD +/-RW Sata ED
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM Black Edition
PSU: Corsair HX850

excluding Monitor, speakers and input devices.

all suggestions welcomed :hello:  .

More about : 1400 build

August 24, 2009 9:15:17 AM

looks good but I'd change some things,

1) change the ASUS R2E to a standard P6T, or even an SE if you don't plan on using an nvidia card, you don't lose much.

2) drop the dominator's for something cheaper at 1600MHz.

3) swap the WDC 1TB for a samsung F2 or F3 as they are faster.

4) make sure you get the i7 from microcenter, you save $80 and you should be able to pick which one you want, look for SLBEJ on the box.

5) put the money you save towards a 5870/90, for DX11 goodness and better performance.

Oh and lastly, what PSU are you using?
August 24, 2009 9:18:12 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
looks good but I'd change some things,

1) change the ASUS R2E to a standar.......................

Oh and lastly, what PSU are you using?

sorry forgot just edited! :??: 
Related resources
August 24, 2009 9:19:25 AM

Ok, good PSU.

and any reason for 3GB of memory? Ideally you should have 6GB
August 24, 2009 9:30:44 AM

well i wanted the fastest i could get (also that's why i it chose over the XMS3)
and 6GB dominator was just too expensive ;) 
about the Mobo i want one that has good layout, features and price/performance ratio
also i want it to last the longest time possible :heink: 
and i don't plan staying for to long with the 4770s, i'll sell them once GT300 comes out (maybe GTX375, who knows :p  )
as in my case upgrading the system but the mobo is far easier than upgrading only the mobo :D 
about the cpu i can't pick it at microcenter as i dont even live in the US but i have a friend there who will get them for me.
August 24, 2009 9:36:08 AM

Hey where are you mate!
August 24, 2009 9:43:58 AM

still waiting AAA !
August 24, 2009 9:48:18 AM

soz, just had to go for a bit.

the GTX 300 won't be worth it, the 58xx will be a far better deal, I'm quite sure of that. And the 5870 comes out at least 2 quarters before the GTX 300, but it seems like it will be more like 3 quarters or a whole year before it's released.

I'm not sure if that mobo will fit in the case, because the R2E's size isn't in the ATX spec, nor the E-ATX spec..
August 24, 2009 9:50:32 AM

link

just as good as the dominator's but costs less.
August 24, 2009 9:56:47 AM

The PSU is an overkill for what you are planning...
Instead get max the 750HX...
And about the graphics card, I would suggest you get a single HD 4890 for now and then change to something better...the reason am suggesting this over the HD 4770s is mainly because of the crossfire and driver issues...Its performance would be great if you get it working right...else its a pain the a**...So as its going to be a temporary solution, stick with a single powerful card...

About the mobo - The ASUS R2E is for enthusiast crowd who want to push their CPU to the limit or it is for the Crowd who want bragging rights...
Maybe the P6T Deluxe is more than suffice for you...

And again the Dominators are pretty much the same as the Rampage... - Enthusiast or Bragging rights...
But if you are not buying the Dominators, still stick with the Corsair brands as I have heard, they do support the warranty claims even outside the region from where you have brought the product...

Rest are fine...
August 24, 2009 9:57:11 AM

alright it's i personally prefer nVidia but about the release date thingy i can't think of it any other way!
and yes i'm considering the HD5xxx series but still have to wait for specs and benchs as all of the leaked info on the internet doesn't get to my mind.
and for the mobo i didn't say it has to be RIIE but anything that good enough to bear 4 builds or so(also would be great if there is any info on their supporting hex or octo-core procs when they come out considering that socket 1366 (B) is the highest end and should get the development priority.
sorry for long post :-p
August 24, 2009 10:05:22 AM

^ the 5850 beats the 4870 X2 in 3Dmark Vantage, so the 5870 should be quite amazing, providing there are enough extra clocks.
August 24, 2009 10:08:18 AM

And about the gfx card right here in Tom's hardware they said the HD4770 CF is the best bang for the buck.
also i got buyers waiting for them(after long use of course) :sol: 
also what about the CPU D0 thingy, any ideas.
Also i have added Tuniq TX-3 to my cart is it superior enough with the Corsair Hydro H50.
Also about the suggested memory would appreciate reviews(Bette Tom's hardware Or Hardware chunks)
August 24, 2009 10:11:32 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
^ the 5850 beats the 4870 X2 in 3Dmark Vantage, so the 5870 should be quite amazing, providing there are enough extra clocks.

Review, Anything! as far as i know the haven't officially showed up in person.

by the way go easy on me as i'm still a beginner in computers AND english.
August 24, 2009 10:11:51 AM

the D0 thing is the stepping, D0's overclock superiorly to C0's.

you might get 4.7GHz with your H50, but after 3.8GHz you don't see much improvement in apps.
August 24, 2009 10:17:03 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
the D0 thing is the stepping, D0's overclock superiorly to C0's.

you might get 4.7GHz with your H50, but after 3.8GHz you don't see much improvement in apps.

i know about the stepping and read alot about it also the tom's hardware review, i'm asking about the unit selection via somewhere easy to get to for my friends father as he lives in CA.

and about the gfx The review..... .

sorry for endless questions, still a newbie.

thanks alot in advance.
August 24, 2009 10:22:23 AM

Well first, your English is very good.

as for finding the Unit, as far as I know, it's just, 1) go to a Microcenter, 2) pick out an i7, which on the box has SLBEJ on it, 3) buy it.
August 24, 2009 10:29:59 AM

thank you very much helloworld_98 and for everyone who posted.
for helloworld_98 also is "microcenter" in California.

Also what about the benchs for the memory you suggested and 5850 vs 4870X2 benchs.
also i never heard of GeIll or am i just missing it here maybe just maybe it's the famous G-Skill Ballistix.

Thanks again.
August 24, 2009 10:58:10 AM

Thanks alot for everybody.
LAST Question:
About the 5850 vs. 4870X2 benchs,
and for your suggested patriot viper rams.
August 24, 2009 11:08:18 AM

gkay09 said:
The PSU is an overkill for what you are planning...
Instead get max the 750HX...
And about the graphics card, I would suggest you get a single HD 4890 for now and then change to something better...the reason am suggesting this over the HD 4770s is mainly because of the crossfire and driver issues...Its performance would be great if you get it working right...else its a pain the a**...So as its going to be a temporary solution, stick with a single powerful card...

About the mobo - The ASUS R2E is for enthusiast crowd who want to push their CPU to the limit or it is for the Crowd who want bragging rights...
Maybe the P6T Deluxe is more than suffice for you...

And again the Dominators are pretty much the same as the Rampage... - Enthusiast or Bragging rights...
But if you are not buying the Dominators, still stick with the Corsair brands as I have heard, they do support the warranty claims even outside the region from where you have brought the product...

Rest are fine...

well as i said i want to get an extremely solid mobo hoping it lasts 4 builds or so being able to overclock the upcoming i9.
as for the gfx card as i said i'll sell them for HD5xxx or GT3xx so in my country i can get two buyers for two $99 HD4770s vs long search for a single buyer for a HIS 4890 Turbo Ice4 Edition, besides a 5870 will last more than a 4890 if i couldn't sell it vs the 2 HD4770s also driver support improved significantly since CCC 9.8 (if i recall correctly)
August 24, 2009 11:11:31 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
review of the memory

I'll try and find the cypress (5850/70) benchmark later.

Thanks again (hope you don't get tired of questions and thanks :D  )
if you need any help i'm there (as far as i could offer ;)  ) have a good day.
August 24, 2009 11:21:19 AM

The ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 is also a very solid board and would last longer too...
And as for the graphics card, it was just a heads up for you so that you know what you are dealing with...
So if you pretty much know the issues and are able to find the workarounds, then go with the HD 4770s...Like I said if it works right, then its performance would be better than the HD 4890...

As for RAM, here is another option...
And like helloworld said, better stick with tighter timings than going for higher speed...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 24, 2009 11:39:57 AM

Quote:
helloworld_98

any time :D 

Quote:
gkay09

The ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 is also a very solid board and would last longer too...
And as for the graphics card, it was just a heads up for you so that you know what you are dealing with...
So if you pretty much know the issues and are able to find the workarounds, then go with the HD 4770s...Like I said if it works right, then its performance would be better than the HD 4890...

As for RAM, here is another option...
And like helloworld said, better stick with tighter timings than going for higher speed...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820145250

yes i know about the timing, but then what's the point of dominator series?!, with a little knowledge you should be able to get it ti the 1600MHz goal and even by loosing the timings and it has a very good heat spreader design that should be enough, also the 257MHz achievement of the dominator is nothing to the tighter timings of your suggested corsair memory kit. :heink: 
also i heard some people having trouble with their RIIE boards that some specific memories doesn't work also can it run 2100MHz+ and 24GB(not at the same time of course) though it's not rated like that !
ofcourse i'm not planing of achieving it but that eliminates the main reason i considered this board for [upgradability] and i'm going to keep it for about 4 builds(maybe till hex-core i9 ;)  )

thanks alot :D 
August 24, 2009 12:02:31 PM

^ The Dominator series can handle higher voltages(means more heat) than other standard Corsairs because of their better designed heat spreaders and also the memory chips chosen can better handle the higher voltages, during overclocking...

You can push the Dominators timings lower than the rated speed with ease compared to other standard modules...but it would take the right settings and voltage to do that...That is why it is famous with the enthusiast crowd, who tweak it to get max results...

I have not heard of RAM incompatibility issues with the ASUS Rampage...could you give any info or link regarding that...

Yes you can run 24GB of RAM on that board...(but finding a 24GB kit would be a great deal though)
And most probably you can run 2100+ MHz RAM on that board(Obviously overclocked)...though it doesnt show that on the spec list, but sure can...Have seen reviews of 2133MHz RAM sets being tried out with this mobo...
http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=W7i5W4Pw4fH22Mih&...
August 24, 2009 12:11:35 PM

Quote:
I have not heard of RAM incompatibility issues with the ASUS Rampage...could you give any info or link regarding that...

that one i remembered look for posts 16 and 20: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100810633
also what about the asus P6TD Deluxe does it actually add any thing to the original P6T Deluxe V1, also considering the P6T overclock Palm for i don't like opening the case ;)  neither like the look of the bios(stupid blue by white :pfff:  ).
thanks in advance.
been a great help. :D 
August 24, 2009 12:18:50 PM

^ ASUS boards come with TurboV, which until you get to really high OC levels is just as good as the BIOS.
August 24, 2009 12:23:59 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
^ ASUS boards come with TurboV, which until you get to really high OC levels is just as good as the BIOS.

i know that but call me an oldy i don't like the idea of controlling a bios setting through windows, that's why i considered the OC palm edition, although what about the D (extreme) version, and have you read the link.
Regards. :sarcastic: 
August 24, 2009 12:26:16 PM

as far as I know, the OC palm controller does the same thing as TurboV, just in hardware form.
August 24, 2009 12:31:02 PM

gkay09 said:
^ The Dominator series can handle higher voltages(means more heat) than other standard Corsairs because of their better designed heat spreaders and also the memory chips chosen can better handle the higher voltages, during overclocking...

You can push the Dominators timings lower than the rated speed with ease compared to other standard modules...but it would take the right settings and voltage to do that...That is why it is famous with the enthusiast crowd, who tweak it to get max results...

well that's kinda useless for you're only allowed a 1.65V limit due to the i7's integrated memory controller limitations so without an extremely sufficient cooling (like LN2 or whatever) it's useless, right?!

and thanks again, made you kinda bored huh... sorry my bad. :D 
and have a good day. ;) 

EDIT: question for both Hellworld_98 & gkay09
August 25, 2009 12:12:44 AM

ok, it seems that everything is almost ready i'll update as soon as i get it (sometime in October) everything has been already ordered (except the Hydro H50... out of stock!) but who is getting them to me will get back somewhat late (good thing he'll test them first ;)  . good night (for where i live :D  )
August 25, 2009 4:39:24 AM

So how does your final list look like??? Post the specs here...

And as for your question about the 1.65V limit, True that intel has set that...but doesnt mean that the memory cannot be operated above that voltage...
Here is a thread from a forum that should clear things...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20...

And make sure what you are doing before playing with the memory voltages anything above 1.65V...If not done right, could obviously kill the CPU as the memory controllers are now inbuilt...
And the Dominators like I said can handle the extra heat...Actually you can find DDR3 memories rated @ 1.9v too(Obviously not for i7)...so the extra voltage is not much of a problem for the memory but for the CPU...
August 25, 2009 6:41:05 AM

psycho sykes said:
also i was looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
tighter timings is better than higher FSB! Right?!
also over clocking the memory FSB is way easier than lowering the timings. :D 

Go to Amazon.com and get this Ram that has Cas7 and is 6gb kit. :wahoo: 
OCZ OCZ3P1600LV6GK DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz 6GB Platinum XTC Triple Channel Kits $113.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-OCZ3P1600LV6GK-PC3-12800-1600...

Items you will need.
Thermal Compound.
Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail $4.99

You will need this 8-pin Power Extension Cable for most Cases that has Bottom Mounted PSU.
1ST PC CORP. 12" 8-pin EPS extension cable Model CB-8M-8F - Retail $8.99

Good Luck on your Build. :) 
August 25, 2009 9:39:30 AM

^ it's a bit late now, he's already ordered.
August 25, 2009 2:58:04 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
^ it's a bit late now, he's already ordered.

well i already ordered, yes but orders can be canceled as they haven't been shipped yet need a quick answer ;)  .

for the thermal paste i've already ordered Tuniq TX-3.
and here's my final list (excluding H50! :D  ):
also replaced HIS 4770s with Sapphire 4770s due to stock issues.

will get the CPU from Microcenter but included it for "complete list"

will post a photo soon (after i get it, assemble it and Try it ;)  ) also i need to get a digital camera first though :D  .

thank you all.
August 25, 2009 3:51:52 PM

Yoosty said:
Go to Amazon.com and get this Ram that has Cas7 and is 6gb kit. :wahoo: 
OCZ OCZ3P1600LV6GK DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz 6GB Platinum XTC Triple Channel Kits $113.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-OCZ3P1600LV6GK-PC3-12800-1600...

Items you will need.
Thermal Compound.
Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail $4.99

You will need this 8-pin Power Extension Cable for most Cases that has Bottom Mounted PSU.
1ST PC CORP. 12" 8-pin EPS extension cable Model CB-8M-8F - Retail $8.99

Good Luck on your Build. :) 

thank you for advice but i've heard BAD things about OCZ Retail products and customer service besides Corsair has international warranty.
Regards.
August 25, 2009 4:13:40 PM

Hope someone reply before processing the order and shipping :( 
Great community though :D  (maybe needless to say ;)  ).
Regards.
August 25, 2009 6:34:04 PM

Alright Thread closed (though i don't really know how to close it permanently ;)  ).
Look FOR THREAD "Future $1400 Build" at Home-built systems section. SERIOUS... VERY VERY VERY SERIOUS!!!!! :D .
August 25, 2009 9:23:11 PM

for "gkay09", "helloworld_98" and "yoosty" check your (private message) inboxes ;)  .
Regards :p  .
!