PQ5 SE2 XP mode, Virtual PC not working

G

Hello,
I have a new PC. W7 64bit installed on PQ5 SE2 motherboard and like to use XP mode and Virtual PC. I have installed XP mode and Virtual PC but gets message that my PC does not have hardware-assisted virtualization. In manual for motherboard is described how to enable/disable this feature but menue "Intel Virtualization Tech" is not avaliable in bios??? How to solve this??

smackdab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Hello Arvideman,

What processor do you have in your PC? You could look up it's spec's to see if it supports hardware virtulization.

As a second alternative you could pop over to Gibson Research Corp and download a small utility called SecurAble. You run it and it will about your HArdware DEP and Virtulization.

Have you looked into BIOS and made sure Virtulization is enabled? You will find this setting in the Advanced menu under CPU Configuration.

Good Luck
smack

G

I also run the SecurAble and if also confirms that my CPU doesn't support this feature.

Is there any options for my system without an exchange of CPU?

smackdab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Well, there is one option you could try. You could download Virtual PC 2007. It is a free download from Microsoft but was originally intended to work with Vista. I run a virtual XP and a virtual win98 machine with this application on my Vista machine. I will try it on my Windows 7 machine. The hardware I run it on uses an old AMD 4400+ X2 socket 939 processor that does not support VT.

I did some google searches for the windows 7 / virtual pc 2007 combination and found that some folks are using this. One site did warn that you may need to do a good uninstall of the windows 7 version of virtual PC. The way I see it you can't go wrong by trying.

smackdab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Well, Virtual PC 2007 SP1 installed and ran without a hickup on my old hardware. I am using a socket 939 A8N32 SLI with an old 4400+ X2 processor that does not support VT. I booted into windows 7 RC (64 bit), installed Virtual PC 2007 SP1 and created an windows XP virtual machine. As long as I ran Virtual PC 2007 as administrator I had no problem. In fact, this reply is coming to you from IE running in the virtual machine.

You should be good to go with this combination.

Good luck.