Building a new system with performance, efficiency, and low noise.

CrimsonJustice

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Hello everyone, with Windows 7 coming (and the fact that I really do need to upgrade my PC), I've started doing some research into building a new computer within the next month or two, while making purchases for the components on the way. My budget is ~$1,500.00 to $2,000.00 (CAD, approx 1.10 * USD) to build the system.

My primary purpose for computer use is gaming. However, I do not need the most expensive machine that is available on the market, but certainly I am not interested in something that's going to be unable to pull decent framerates. As an added catch, I'm looking to see what I can build with the best power consumption efficency and lowest noise levels, without going to water cooling.

So, in short, I'm looking to build a reasonably powerful gaming computer that gets the most performance, efficiency, and lowest noise levels for the money.

I don't need any recommendations towards peripherals (input or output), as these would be secondary to the actual system itself, and of little concern currently.

As a Canadian citizen, I have access to Newegg, NCIX, and other Canadian distributors that I would price-check before making a purchase of components. I have no preference towards any brand. Every company has exceptional products in different areas, and I'm looking at what they can do, not the name on them.

I will likely be doing some overclocking, and though this is important, if information about efficiency about overclocking some components is unavailable (which it should not be in general) is absent, then considerations can be simply expressed in terms of stock performance. However, I would prefer something that is good both at stock and overclocked. SLI/Crossfire is also worth considering, so builds can either go for a good single video card or an excellent SLI/Crossifre configuration. Most games and use will be done in 1980x1080 resolution, with Anti-Aliasing being optional (doesn't need to be exceptionally high either).

I have done some research already, and my current idea is as follows:

PSU: Seagate M12D-750W
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151068

- This PSU is very efficient and seems to have enough power for my needs (correct me if I'm wrong), and from reading reviews on DriverHeaven, HardOCP, and several others, I've seen quite positive reviews for both efficiency, performance, cooling, and loudness.

GFX: XFX Radeon HD 4770
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=38626&vpn=HD477AYDFC&manufacture=XFX

- While availability had plummeted for the 4770, it seems there has recently been somewhat of a resurgence. Reading reviews (too many to remember where), the HD 4770 has produced phenomenal heat and efficiency results while packing quite a punch. I have not seen much about the efficiency in crossfire, but the power behind them is certainly admirable, especially when overclocking is in play. The XFX brand has a good warranty behind it, as well as good performance in the cooler design. (EDIT:) I also realize nVidia is in the process of getting their 40nm GPUs together. However, when these are going to be put into production and how they compare is yet to be seen.

Beyond these, I've just begun trying to find more information about the Core i7 and Phenom II. While I recognize that the Core i7 is the more powerful of the two, the Phenom II seems like it may also be suitable, but I'd like to see what there is to dig up on efficiency and cooling options as well. DDR3 ram is a must, as there are now several boards for both chip-sets that are available to support it with the latest processors. Additional non-stock cooling is certainly an option, but like I mentioned earlier, I would like to avoid water-cooling currently. I may experiment with it in the future, but I'd like to see how well the air cooling solutions can perform. Noise vs performance is certainly the focus for the cooling setup, as well as air-flow for the cases. The cases themselves don't have to be anything exceptional in design, but I would like something that doesn't look like it houses a Pentium III. Good air flow, reasonable space, and a decent look are of more concern.

For storage and media, while I have seen some good things about SSDs, I'm perfectly happy with using an efficient one. I don't have any particular plans to set up a RAID nor require large amounts of storage for extensive multimedia development. Something reasonably fast and efficient, with 250GB - 500GB would be adequate. As for an optical drive, I may decide to get a Blu-Ray drive, or simply stick with a DVD+/- RW. The Blu-Ray is certainly worth considering for future releases and movies, but with so much downloadable content, that's surely debatable.

I realize this is a long post, but it also comprehensively explains my desires. Feel free to ask any other questions as required, and I look forward to seeing some good respones :)

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
With your budget (even in CAD) there is no reason to go AMD unless you really want to for some other (non-budget) reason.

Just a skeleton list:

Mobo: Asus P6T / Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

CPU: i7 920

RAM: 6GB DDR3 @ 1600/1333 MHz with good timings (CL7 is great)

HDD: WD Caviar Black in 640GB or 1TB versions (similar platter densities)

GPU: A single 4770 will be lacking at that resolution, if you go that path get two. Personally I would wait another two weeks or so for the 5xxx series cards. If nothing else that release *should* lower the price of the 4xxx series cards.

HSF: Cogage True Spirit, Scythe Mugen 2, Coolermaster V8, Xigmatek S1283, all great coolers for LGA1366.

The i7 LGA1366 is something of a power hog, i've seen better power numbers for the i7 LGA1156 with close to the same gaming performance. Since the i5/i7 LGA1156 is just 2 weeks away from "official" release and most review sites including Toms are under the non disclosure agreement (NDA) wait a couple weeks for better benchmarks.

CrimsonJustice

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I haven't seen too much about the i5/i7 LGA 1156. I have heard that the i5 will be less powerful than the i7 series, so I think I'd probably go for an i7. However, I've heard nothing about the i7 LGA 1156. Will they be making it more efficiently/cheaply on this socket? And while the DX11 cards look nice, if it's going to be in October I may wait on those, but there's always going to be newer/better ones coming out. Any suggestions on the power supply? I know that one's somewhat pricey, but the quality seems amazing. Any power concerns using the 750W for overclocking or SLI/Crossfire in the future?