Stablity in Overclock

koonzui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hi all! Im new to Tom's Hardware and has thus far found it a very enriching experience.

Im am currently struggling with stability issues and would like to seek some advice on it, especially the voltages.

System Setup:
AMD Athlon II x2 240 @ 3.72GHz (265 x 14), Core Voltage 1.48V
CM Hyper 212+
MSI 785G-E53, default BIOS
2 * Kingston Value RAM 2GB DDR3 PC10666, running at timings 8-8-8-24, 1T (default 9-9-9-25, 2T), 1413Mhz
Seasonic S12II 620W
Powercolor HD6870 PCS+ reclocked to stock settings
MS WINXP SP3 32bit

NB Freq: 2389.6Mhz
HT Link: 1858MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.498
CPU-NB Voltage: 1.493
HT link Voltage:1.371
DRAM Voltage: 1.71
NB Voltage: Auto
Temps: 30~44 deg Celcius

Queries
1. I have read quite widely, but i am still confused with the term HT and HTT
2. How the CPU-NB and NB actually differ
3. Is turning up the voltages the only way of stablising an OC?
4. how high is high when I increase the voltages, and which are the voltages that I should be more careful of
5. I noticed that by increasing the voltages, the temps tend to increase, therefore, is it true that I can increase the voltage to any value I like so long as the temps are acceptable?
6. How are the HT Link and NB related? I've read that NB frequency should always be greater or equal to the HT Link frequency, otherwise it will BSoD. *I think the "NB" in this latter refers to the CPU-NB rather than the NB itself*
7. I believe my CPU can still go further, but is limited by other factors; it definitely has to be either the RAM or NB but I cant tell which. This is because my PC will still boot at 3.8GHz but will instantly BSoD once it goes past POST. Thus, i pushed the voltages hard but came to the conclusion that its not possible; it just simply wont reach desktop.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Reset your RAM timings and see if this helps. You can go from there.

Keep your HT below 2000MHz, or around it. AFter this, there is really no performance increase at risk of stability.
NB Freq is good, not great. This will help though until you are stable.
Your CPU-NB voltage is ok, but higher than i would like. Voltage will fry a cpu immediately, so be very very careful with how much you give it, no matter what your temps are.
*Remember, OC on a chip is totally random. You can have the same model and MoBo setup as somebody else, and the OC will be different by 100MHz +. Dont judge your OC by what others have. Mobo, case/airflow, hsf, ambient temperature, ram are all contributors to your OC experience. Best thing to realize is when to stop.

koonzui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
thanks casualbuilder for your reply!

As you said yourself regarding the CPU-NB voltage, how high would you normally put it at?
Also, does the Prime95 stress test FTT length hint at anything? For example if it BSoD at FTT Length 512k does it signify too high or low of something?

currently trying to stabilize with the current settings:
CPU: 263*14 = 3.69MHz
RAM: 7-7-7-24, 2T @ 1404Mhz (auto settings)
CPU voltage: 1.48V
CPU-NB voltage: 1.48V
HT Link: 2108MHz
NB: 2635MHz

*keeping fingers crossed*

koonzui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
thanks casualbuilder for your reply!

As you said yourself regarding the CPU-NB voltage, how high would you normally put it at?
Also, does the Prime95 stress test FTT length hint at anything? For example if it BSoD at FTT Length 512k does it signify too high or low of something?

currently trying to stabilize with the current settings:
CPU: 263*14 = 3.69MHz
RAM: 7-7-7-24, 2T @ 1404Mhz (auto settings)
CPU voltage: 1.48V
CPU-NB voltage: 1.48V
HT Link: 2108MHz
NB: 2635MHz

*keeping fingers crossed*

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Usually when stress testing, you should do a blend test...especially if you OC your RAM. A BSoD during Prime95 usually means a bad OC on your RAM...as the memory does not like to be pushed very much.

I would not go any higher on your voltage for that chip, again, a high voltage setting can immediately fry your cpu. id hate to see you take a hit for me giving you advice. personally, i dont like to go anywhere near the voltage limit suggested by a manufacturer unless its mine...lol

koonzui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
ok so it passed 2h blend test without problem, so i guess its relatively stable now. I read elsewhere that now then I should start tweaking around with the RAM and check the 3DMark06 scores to see which 1 is the best setting for this overclock. Would you do this as well?
Also, you mentioned that if it BSoD means a bad OC on the RAM, am I right to say that the remedy for it is to reduce the frequency or to up the voltage?

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Yes, downclocking RAM or upping the voltage ( maybe a + 0.05 max) will stabilize it. However, i dont recommend changing the voltage.

2Hrs stable is all Tom's recommends, especially for gamers. People who "fold@home" or run very important business type documents or information recommend 24Hrs, but honestly, those people dont usually push their systems. OC'ers are a small community/family. So, on that note, your system is definately considered stable.

3DMark06 is good to see scores, but imo, not necessary. That would more be a pride thing for max numbers. RAM is RAM imo. a 1333 speed to a 1600 speed, especially for gaming at 8Gb., is negligable.