Sign in with
Your question
Solved

4850 x2 DX10 Resident Evil 5 Freeze

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2009 10:38:07 AM

Hello, system specs at the end of my post.

When I run the Resident Evil 5 benchmark or play the part that the variable benchmark shows with Directx 10, the visual freezes but the audio continues. I can ctrl alt delete out of it and use windows normally. The same scene and gameplay works just fine in DX9 mode of the game. I updated to sapphires 9.8 drivers, and I updated directx 10 to the latest. Any ideas as to what I can do to correct this? Could it be because I'm using sapphire's drivers or should I use the one from amd's web site? This is the only DX10 game I've encountered this in, Crysis and Fallout 3 runs fine with DX10.

Windows Vista Home 64 bit
ATI Radeon Sapphire 4850 x2 2gb version
4gb pc8500 1066mhz
Gigabyte ep45-ud3p motherboard
e8400 @ 4.00ghz

Please help me out knowledgeable great ones of Toms Hardware. :) 
September 14, 2009 1:14:58 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Well it may happen because its a benchmark,the full game may work fine,however download the CAT 9.9 too and see if it helps
September 14, 2009 7:57:26 PM

Quote:
Why you wouldn't use AMD's drivers is beyond me. Are you at least using the 64 bit drivers?

Isn't this a demo?

I'm using the Drivers from the Sapphire website, I think the ones from AMD's website are slightly different. Yes I'm using the 64 bit drivers. Also, this happens in both the benchmark and the full game.

Maziar said:
Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Well it may happen because its a benchmark,the full game may work fine,however download the CAT 9.9 too and see if it helps

This happens in both the benchmark and the full game. I'll try 9.9 and report back.
Related resources
September 14, 2009 8:48:20 PM

have you read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/resident-evil-5,240...

based on the benchmark ATi cards running fine with DX9 but the performance is dropping when playing under DX10. in addition there is no graphic difference between DX9 and DX10. its has been confirmed by the game developer. but you need DX10 to run Nvidia 3d vision.

i've run the test before and my frame rate is slightly better under DX10. but it may due to i'm using Nvidia card
September 14, 2009 8:56:14 PM

But ATi cards can do DX10.1 and everyfing. [:mousemonkey]
September 14, 2009 8:59:33 PM

Mousemonkey said:
But ATi cards can do DX10.1 and everyfing. [:mousemonkey]

ah, thats true :) 

but you know that game is TWIMTBP :D 
September 14, 2009 9:10:01 PM

FIXED. I uninstalled my ati drivers and used Driver Sweeper to remove any left overs. Then i installed 9.9 and my game doesn't freeze up. What I'm wondering though is if you un-check ati overdrive but leave your clocks the same before unchecking it, does it revert back to stock clocks or do oyu need to reset it to 625/995 manually (4850 x2 stock clocks)? I figured by unticking overdrive it automatically resets to stock. This may have been my problem. I'm going to overclock and see if it freezes.

Thanks for the help.
September 14, 2009 9:21:52 PM

Actually is there a good artifact tester that I can use? I have furmark and atitool, i hear ati tool is useless and anyway it doesnt find any artifacts after an hour, and furmark doesn't scan for any artifacts. I thought I had stable clocks because I ran furmark for like an hour, but then I played resident evil 5 for like 30 minutes and I had huge artifacts appearing. Can anyone make any recommendations on that? Or do I just have to sit and watch Furmark to see if I notice anything?
September 16, 2009 3:38:20 AM

Quote:
Thats a hot card, I wouldnt overclock it past 640/995, which is what mine is factory overclocked too.

I'm at 700/1050. Too high? Furmark stable for an hour, 78-81c. Gputool and ati tool show no artifacts for an hour @ 80c. Arkham Asylum is at around 60c, the fan doesnt even spin most of the time, and resident evil 5 gives me 70-72c max.
September 16, 2009 10:46:03 PM

Quote:
80c seems reasonable, but will it last? Maybe.

My 4850 never goes above 55c during gaming.

That's incredible. Did you switch the heatsink or put a new fan on it or something? Even at stock speeds my card hits around 75c-77c in furmark. I have good case cooling too -> http://img360.imageshack.us/i/1110301117xd0.jpg/#q=xcli... Or do you have just a regular 4850 non x2?
September 21, 2009 4:18:42 AM

Go get ATI Catalyst 9.9 drivers. Crossfire is enable for that game with the latest patch. Also, I have run toward some display problems too while playing the game.

The first ones are DX10 bugs during cinematics. They aren't showing up and I only got the sound. I also got some strange black dots appearing on my screen... but I suspect my cards are overheating in unlocked frame rate mode... it goes over 140 fps at 1280X1024 so I decided to lock it at 60 fps with vsync. This has done the trick.

Play the game in DX9, it resolved everything for me.
September 21, 2009 4:27:21 AM

organizer009 said:
That's incredible. Did you switch the heatsink or put a new fan on it or something? Even at stock speeds my card hits around 75c-77c in furmark. I have good case cooling too -> http://img360.imageshack.us/i/1110301117xd0.jpg/#q=xcli... Or do you have just a regular 4850 non x2?

I got 2 4850 OC and both of them are running over 80c easily while gaming. ATI GPU can take a lot of heat up to 110c, but the security is around 100c. There is no danger and your cards will last you easily 2 or 3 years.

I got 2 Asus 4850 TOP... these cards are insanely strong. My setup is around 10% weaker of 2 4870. Really impressive for the price I paid, but the heatsink is plain horrible. I added a side fan because my cards where overheating after one hour of gameplay. Now, I didn't run on any more problems of this kind, but 80c will never hurt your cards.

Best solution

September 21, 2009 7:12:53 AM

About 15mins of HAWX main menu screen (rotating 3D background of an aircraft hanger) will reveal if your settings are lending to artifacts. I know its not exactly a diagnostic program, but has been extremely accurate for me. It runs the GPU at 100%, and only Furmark will make my 4870(s) work harder or hotter. HAWX menu starts showing very obvious visible artifacts whereas at the same settings Furmark will just slam my GPU into the ground with VPU recovery hammers.

Whenever I tried to up my gpu clocks, I would use HAWX as my benchmark. No settings that lasted longer than 15mins would fail me in any other game or program. Not exactly scientific with numbers and bells and flashing warning lights, but has worked well for me so far (810/1075 45c/78c idle/load).
September 27, 2009 9:39:29 AM

redgarl said:
Go get ATI Catalyst 9.9 drivers. Crossfire is enable for that game with the latest patch. Also, I have run toward some display problems too while playing the game.

The first ones are DX10 bugs during cinematics. They aren't showing up and I only got the sound. I also got some strange black dots appearing on my screen... but I suspect my cards are overheating in unlocked frame rate mode... it goes over 140 fps at 1280X1024 so I decided to lock it at 60 fps with vsync. This has done the trick.

Play the game in DX9, it resolved everything for me.

I also got those black dots. I found better clocks for my card after that, I'm not comfortable with any artifacts at all. I don't want to have to play in dx9 though, I got this card to play dx10 and in 1920x1200. I'm pretty happy with my card at 700/1050. I also like to lock my fps with vsync, but find it mostly unnecessary since in most games since my card rarely hits 70c.
September 27, 2009 4:28:51 PM

DX10 in RE5 is only for nvidias 3d setup. It serves absolutely no other graphical function over DX9 in RE5, and DX10 will cripple ATI cards, for zero gain.
!