Core i5 Dual channel?

ranij93

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Hey, Im going to buy a Core i5 with a p55 mobo, and yes im going to overclock but it says Dual Channel and the Core i7 has Triple channel? what does that really mean?

And im thinking about runnig with 3x2GB DDR3 1600 MHz and should then i go with Windows 7 64 bit because it supports all the 6GB ram while the 32bit only supports 3gb? :)

Dual channel means that you should run an even number of sticks as it will provide you double the bandwidth. All LGA 1156 processors have dual channel memory controllers and will actually get a performance penalty if you run an odd number of sticks as it will force it back into single channel mode.

Get a 2x2GB kit, very few applications need more than 4GB of ram, most of those are in the adobe creative suite too so it likely wont affect you. No matter what amount of ram you get, get Windows 7 64 bit, there is no good reason to stick with 32 bit when there are no downsides to 64 bit. It will even allow you to get 64 bit versions of some programs which grants them access to more memory and allows them to run more efficiently.

It flakes out from time to time, nothing to worry about, just too many people stopping by which cant be a bad thing for Tom's.

ranij93

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
So you would recomend 4gb 2x2gb 1600mhz :)? Thanks. Going for that then. and ill stick to 64 bit if im Upgrading to windows 7 :))