Sign in with
Your question

SSD or Mechanical drive for gaming

Last response: in Storage
June 15, 2011 4:50:41 AM

I am building a new gaming rig within the next month or so and can't decide whether or not to buy an SSD. I was thinking of having one as a boot drive and using a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB for data. Would I see any benefit for gaming itself with an SSD or should I just stick with the 1TB drive? I can go without an SSD if all I will see is faster boot times and load times for some apps. And if it is worth getting an SSD should I get a Sata II or III (would the better performance of a sata III ssd be worth it?)? The motherboard I will be using is compatible with Sata III. It is also my understanding that Sata III holds no real performance boosts in mechanical drives. Any help would be appreciated.
June 15, 2011 7:21:38 AM

Your games would load a lot fast with an SSD drive. Is your SATA III 3gb/s or 6gb/s??? This will determine what drive you can get.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 143 G Storage
June 15, 2011 4:12:55 PM

^+1....

SSD is the better way to go but for gaming, you'll only really see your load times decrease. It will have no real effect on FPS, which are drive by your GPU and CPU. I run a SSD for my OS & Apps and a Velociraptor for my games and the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB for everything else.
Related resources
June 15, 2011 4:39:54 PM

Thanks for the tips. My sata is the 6Gbps one. My last question then is it worth it to spend the extra money to get a 6Gbps ssd vs the older 3Gbps ones in my case? Oh and if I do just get an SSD for boot and apps, what would be a good choice? So that way I can still afford a velociraptor and spinpoint f3?
June 15, 2011 5:16:20 PM

the rest of the specs are
CPU: Intel i5-2500k (with hyper 212+)
GPU: EVGA GTX 570 SC
Mobo: MSI P67A-GD55
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: 750W Corsair TX2 i think
Case: Antec 900

So would having a 10k drive for games give a noticeable decrease in load times to justify the cost of adding $150 for 300gb? Because SSDs are too expensive for me to have enough room to put all my games on it. Right now im thinking as you said the OCZ Vertex II for boot and spinpoint f3 1TB for games and media. I just don't know if it would be worth it to get a velociraptor for games and then let the spinpoint be for media and everything else.
June 16, 2011 4:49:08 AM

Best answer selected by bwise7416.
!