Upgrading from E4500 to E6300, is it worth it?

pcnoob101

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I have a C2D E4500 @ 2.2 GHz and Im looking for a good CPU, I saw that the P E6300 was $81 and has a 2.9 GHz, although the L2 Cache is the same.

I mostly use my PC for gaming with a 4850 installed, and some VERY light video editing with windows movie maker in Win7 32-bit.

is it worth it?
or should I just wait for a E7500 price drop or just get the E8200 from TigerDirect for $130?

no overlcocking
:fou: :fou: (locked bios) :fou: :fou:

and my mobo doesnt take quad cores.

EDIT:
I know this is a late edit and all, but my case doesnt have a removable rear i/o panel, so getting a new case is needed.
I play at 1440x900 with 3 gb of ddr2

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
What mobo?

The new e6300 is not 2.9 its 2.8. Its a 45nm wolfdale dual core. I find it hard to believe that a board that can run that cpu or the e8200 "doesnt take quad core" You need to check the cpu support list on your board for and make for sure what cpu's it can run.

Is it worth it for a 600mhz clock speed increase? That is ulimately up to you.

notty22

Distinguished

Its probably a Dell, which in part uses Foxconn m/b. Before Intel came out with its first quad core. There were many boards made with voltage regulators/circuitry that just will not handle a quad core. The potential number of watts the cpu might use doubles. Its not just a question of psu, its psu and motherboard with a lot of Dell/similar motherboards. Back then the quad might have been on the roadmap, but it was still far enough away where making the boards (future upgrade proof) this way ,probably saved a couple bucks per board.

I vote its worth it, it might make the difference/big in getting the most out of your video card. You could also save up and build a whole second rig, doing something with your old one.

jennyh

Splendid

Did you even read the OP's post?

This person is a prime example of somebody who *should* be using AMD. Had he been using AMD he would have had a simple upgrade to a quad core, wouldn't have a locked bios and would have a better and cheaper system that would still be upgradable to a certain degree in future.

As it is he is overpaying even $80 for that cpu, on a dead platform.

mi1ez

Splendid

Erm, intrigued how you came to that conclusion...

jennyh

Splendid
Well why not? He could have had an AM2+ mobo with say a 5200+ x2 back when he bought the pc. That would easily take an athlon x4 now giving him a better pc that will probably even be able to take hexa-cores in future.

He'd be way better off switching even now, except to AM3 instead. Any upgrade on s775 is not worth it when there is a much more sensible alternative - especially if he is considering a $130 cpu upgrade.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

Yes I did. Did you? He HAS that system. He is looking into upgrading his cpu in that machine.

Then your(AMD troll) reply is "This is a prime example of a person who should be buying AMD but isn't." You're saying the SHOULD buy AMD but is not. Not if he would have a AMD platform in the 1st place BS you bring up in your 2nd post.

"This person is a prime example of somebody who *should* be using AMD. Had he been using AMD he would have had a simple upgrade to a quad core, wouldn't have a locked bios and would have a better and cheaper system that would still be upgradable to a certain degree in future." Full of FAIL

He could of had a AMD machine with a crappy board and a locked BIOS as well. He did not build his Intel machine himself. He would not have built a AMD machine himself either. He would have a locked BIOS. A crap shoot on what the board could support. To prove he could of have a cheaper system we would need to look at what he payed for his current machine and when it was purchased. Then look for what the AMD pre-builts where going for at the time.

From reading your post full of fail logic. I'm thinking that somehow you think big bad Intel prohibited anybody from selling a AMD machine. Well that is just flat out wrong. Anytime in the last 10 years if you walked into any electronic store you pick out a AMD system. CompUSA. Bestbuy. Circuit City, Staples, Office Max. All did and still sell AMD systems. They where and still on display in the stores and the weekly adds right next to the Intel ones.

Everything about both of your post in this thread is AMD troll behavior. Even more so than your normal troll self. This thread had NOTHING at all to do with AMD. And yet you chime in with your nonsense. Definition of a troll right there.

jennyh

Splendid
Nonsense?

Nonsense is advising this person to upgrade a bad machine on a dead socket. $80 or $130 it is not worth upgrading.

He would be better off saving up a little bit more and switching over to a cheap AM3 solution. You know this someguy, you just don't want to admit that intel fails horribly at budget to midrange.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I would not call that machine a bad machine 1st of all.

In my 1st post I told the OP it's basically up to him if its worth it. $80 dollars 600mhz boost may be worth it for him.

He should save up a little more? AM3 cpu + AM3 board + DDR3 ram. Its will probably be about triple the amount he originally was looking at spending. All this for a machine that he uses for gaming(what games and resolutions we dont know). Do the games benefit he plays excel on a quad core? How are his fps now? None of that matters to a troll such as yourself. AMD4LiFe!!!!

This has nothing to do with me admitting anything about Intel's products. Its you and your AMD cult trolling. None of which has anything to do with this thread. Whats funny is trolls like you think I am pro Intel. I am anti stupid cult trolls.

AMD does have GREAT chips for the price in the budget to midrange. If I where building a machine myself right now with that budget it would no doubt be a AMD system. The last two systems I put together for people with no preference of brands where AMD machines.

You just don't ever EVER ever ever ever want to say anything but pro AMD things.

jennyh

Splendid
Ok lets say $130 which is the maximum number he mentioned.

You can get an AM2+ mobo and decent Athlon for that price, keeping the memory. This would still be more preferable that staying with that machine on the dead 775 socket. AM2+ doesn't have much more life left in it but it still has enough to warrant the switch over at $130. $80? Maybe not possible but if he can get off that machine and onto AM2+ for $130 I'd say that was worth it.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
No it would not. It would be flat out stupid. Spend $130 to switch over to a athon system that would be slower than tossing the $130 Intel cpu into his current machine.

Of course it would more preferable to YOU. Somebody who has a love affair with a chip maker.

The dead socket 775 point is irrelevant. The person already has the board. It would be more preferable to stay on his current board then switch to AM2+ and any athlon.

Of course you would say spending 130 dollars to get onto a AMD system is worth it. Hey its a AMD machine now YAY!!!!. AMD4liFe. Lets see, spend 130 dollars to switch to AMD and have a slower system compared to tossing a $130 cpu into his current machine. Makes perfect sense if your a blinded AMD fanboy.

The rest of us who are not in love with a chip maker and looking to upgrade his current machine would spend $95 dollars on a e6500 or $120 for the e7500 for the extra mb of cache that games like on the c2d platform. Not a $130 "upgrade" to a slower system.

AMD troll Fail of the day with that logic.

@jennyh you are trolling, the OP already has a LGA775 so your point is moot
@the people responding to jennyh, now you guys are trolling
(this in essence means i am now too)

aside from trolling:
though i wouldn't upgrade the system unless i could get a quad in there, the current cpu can probably OC'ed somewhat in software to get the performance of a newer dual

ie: save the money for a new system

jennyh

Splendid
No it would not. It would be flat out stupid. Spend $130 to switch over to a athon system that would be slower than tossing the $130 Intel cpu into his current machine.

Of course it would more preferable to YOU. Somebody who has a love affair with a chip maker.

And what happens next time he wants to upgrade? Buy a whole new pc? How much *more* is that going to cost him?

The dead socket 775 point is irrelevant. The person already has the board. It would be more preferable to stay on his current board then switch to AM2+ and any athlon.

No it wouldn't.

Of course you would say spending 130 dollars to get onto a AMD system is worth it. Hey its a AMD machine now YAY!!!!. AMD4liFe. Lets see, spend 130 dollars to switch to AMD and have a slower system compared to tossing a $130 cpu into his current machine. Makes perfect sense if your a blinded AMD fanboy.

The rest of us who are not in love with a chip maker and looking to upgrade his current machine would spend $95 dollars on a e6500 or $120 for the e7500 for the extra mb of cache that games like on the c2d platform. Not a $130 "upgrade" to a slower system.

AMD troll Fail of the day with that logic.

You are the one who is trying to get somebody to spend money on a totally dead socket, with no chance of overclocking his $95 cpu either. That is how much *your* logic fails.

jennyh

Splendid
I really wish people would stop saying i'm trolling also!

Here is how I see it, if you actually just read what I'm saying it has to make sense?

Spending $95 on an e6500...which is about as good as a $66 Athlon X2 245 in gaming.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon-ii-x3-435_5.html#sect0

wins some/lose some vs the x2 250 according to that. Lets say it's a little bit better.

However - he cannot overclock it, and for sure the Athlon will oc well past the E6500's fps in games. Instead of throwing $95 at the E6500, simply prolonging the misery of the dead socket 775 - he could spend a little bit more, get a cpu that will be faster with a stock overclock, and potentially upgrade to cheap quads or even hexa-cores in future.

Are you telling me that's not worth paying another $20 or so for now?

Faster cpu (with overclocking) AND an upgrade path for $20 more. Ask yourself a question - if this was an intel upgrade would you jump at the chance? Yes, you would.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
So he should spend 130 dollars to "upgrade" now to a slower a system. So that next time he wants to upgrade the machine it will be cheaper. So add another $100 plus for the next cpu upgrade. So he can sit there with a slower machine until the next time he decides to ugprade. Go slower now but get faster later for cheaper. Great logic. Skip the entire 130 upgrade and get a decent AM2+ board with a PII x3 or x4. That would make perfect sense if he wanted to spend that much money. Your stupid suggestion on spending 130 to switch is just that. Stupid.

Yes it would.

I am not trying to get somebody to spend money on a dead socket. The OP is looking for a cpu upgrade on his machine. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=65&p2=87 That is one of the options for 120 dollars. The E6500 is not a option in the anand bench. That may be worth it for the OP.

Yup he couldn't overclock his cpu at all. Did I mention overclocking at all? No. Would he need to overclock his $95 dollar cpu to be faster then any $130 AMD board/cpu combo? No. My logic fails because he wouldnt be able to overclock his cpu, yet I said nothing about overclocking. Every time I think you can say anything dumber I am proving wrong.

jennyh

Splendid
So he should spend 130 dollars to "upgrade" now to a slower a system. So that next time he wants to upgrade the machine it will be cheaper. So add another $100 plus for the next cpu upgrade. So he can sit there with a slower machine until the next time he decides to ugprade. Go slower now but get faster later for cheaper. Great logic. Skip the entire 130 upgrade and get a decent AM2+ board with a PII x3 or x4. That would make perfect sense if he wanted to spend that much money. Your stupid suggestion on spending 130 to switch is just that. Stupid.

No your suggestion of paying $95 on a mobo that cannot overclock, cannot take a quad core even and has no upgrade path is just plain ridiculous.

A $66 Athlon II 245 + $50-$60 mobo would be a big upgrade over his current cpu. He would be able to overclock it past E6500 levels and get all the upgrade paths available.

I am not trying to get somebody to spend money on a dead socket. The OP is looking for a cpu upgrade on his machine. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=65&p2=87 That is one of the options for 120 dollars. The E6500 is not a option in the anand bench. That may be worth it for the OP.

The E7500 is about the best option you have mentioned so far, simply because it is in the gap where AMD don't have a superior alternative. It's still a bad option because it cannot be overclocked and still leaves the OP with no quad/hexa core upgrade.

Yup he couldn't overclock his cpu at all. Did I mention overclocking at all? No. Would he need to overclock his $95 dollar cpu to be faster then any $130 AMD board/cpu combo? No. My logic fails because he wouldnt be able to overclock his cpu, yet I said nothing about overclocking. Every time I think you can say anything dumber I am proving wrong.

Your logic fails because the OP mentions overclocking, clearly he would like it to be an option. By simply plugging in another overpriced cpu (that is what *all* intel cpu's are compared to their AMD equivalents), he will not be able to do that.

Even if he can only overclock the 245 athlon II to the same level as the E6500, it would be worth paying the extra $20-$25 for the upgrade path alone. Why? Because there truly would be no upgrade left after the E6500...that would be it. With buying a 245 Athlon II he would have huge potential upgrades, including all current Phenom II's and the soon to be released Thuban.

It's not even close - if you don't think that is worth paying an extra $20 for now then you have something missing in your brain.

pcnoob101

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
Thanks guys for all your replies, the "go AMD" suggestion is very tempting, but I bought a 775 ONLY cpu cooler a couple of days before I posted this.
and my case doesnt have a removable rear i/o panel. (inspiron 530) and it takes uATX boards only. so, if i want to OC my E4500 I need to get a new case with the mobo, and thats $130, get the AMD for ~$200 (mobo, cpu and case), or E7500/E8200 for $120/$130.
this is very confusing for me actually.

heres the same motherboard that I have at the moment

12111702240064.jpg

and rear I/O
B583a_Dell_Ins530-Back.jpg