Black Screen with driver instal, GTX 260 problems!!!

TerrorRay

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Over the weekend I built a new system (specs at end of post), After all the parts were in place i plugged her in then I booted it up, I setup the BIOS to motherboard manual specs, most settings were put to auto... I then put in my Windows XP Upgrade disc and installed a fresh copy of the OS on the Drive (Had to partition it to liek 130GB as it did not recognize the whole 1TB as the OS Setup disk is Pres Service Pack, not a problem I am too conccerned with at the moment). I went online and updated the Windows XP to Service Pack3. Then I went online and installed the motherboard drivers, and updated the BIOS.

Note: I Started with Both Video Cards in the System in SLI

Here is where problems started to arise... I then Downloaded and ran the Graphix card drivers to most recent version and about half way thru the setup the screen goes black and I get the Flashing underscore like DOS... but I cant type or do anything.
I then Rebooted and windows started to load but freezed on the Loadup Screen... Rebooted again and same thing happend (tried about 4times). I put the windows disk tried to repair windows... same thing happend. Then I loaded the OS in SafeMode, It successfully made it to SafeMode and I uninstalled the Video Drivers. Then tried the older ones included on the Disc, it install PhysX then Blackscreened at the driver setup again... I Safemoded and reinstalled each driver seperatly with same results each time..

I then decided to try to use one card, So I removed the lower card and removed the power to it and removed the SLI. Now all there is is a Single GTX 260 Video Card instaled... I then Tried CD Drivers with same or similar results and same happened when i uninstalled then installed the most up to date drivers... I have run out of Ideas and I have searched thru google and this forum for the problem, I find the similar problem with peaple getting a black screen some say the get BSOD(Never had YET). But they all claim it occurs during gameplay, I cant even get to that point so I am now a little frustrated...

Thats where I stand now, any suggestions or fixs from people with same problem and graphix cards would be appreciated... Please Need Help!!!

System Specs:

MOBO: Evga 790i FTW
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Memory: 2 Sticks of Patriot PC-16000 2000Mhz 2GB Memory (2x2GB = 4GB Total)
Graphics Cards: 2x BFG Geforce GTX 260 MAXCORE 55
Hard Drive: WD 1TB Black
Disk Drive: Some generic LG DVD Rewriter Drive (SATA)
Power Supply: Ultra 1000W Modular Power Supply
Case: Thermaltake Spedo Advanced(With Clear side and huge Fan)

If any other info is required I will reply with what I can... Please help me fix this problem!

TerrorRay

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Update: I have tried different Monitors, I have tried each card seperate and both together. I am running out of ideas and I am getting extremely frustrated...

Noone has any ideas??? Any help will be greatly appreciated

magusuk

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I would advise using something like Driver Sweep to uninstall all the graphics drivers. Do this under safe mode on both accounts Admin & your account (even though you probably set yourself as admin). Then reboot & try install the latest drivers.

The flashing underscore in DOS is normal and the one of 2 things will happen, either the installation process will occur or you are asked y/n for installation to occur in dos. For some reason at this point its not proceeding.

The other option is to update BIOS on the gpu's but not sure that will achieve anything tbh.

lowkey77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I had a similar issue. However, my problem was that I'd randomly get the Black Screen after windows was running for a bit. This issue didn't happen with my 8800gts running. With the two MSI 260GTX cards installed the problem is pretty consistent. I finally resolved my problem by disconnecting one of my monitors. After running dual-monitor for years it looks like I'll have to run single till this issue is resolved. I hope this can serve as a temporary fix for you if you have a similar setup.

EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91
Intel Core i7 920
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel
2 x MSI N260GTX-T2D896-OCv3

Ok, so you have the newest BIOS. Go through the settings and make sure they look correct (the manual should help some).

Next, you could test the rest of the system with prime95/memtest just to make sure you aren't having memory problems.

Then, I 'd say try reinstalling windows with only one card installed. Then repeat with motherboard drivers and then graphics drivers. If you still can't get it to work, then we know it wasn't just bad luck.

Are all of this parts new? Is this a completely new build?