Can someone tell me if my mobo does sli or xfire?

soulgraph

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Please help, I have an hpe-170f. The mobo is a pegatron ipmtb-tk or truckee ul8e (same thing).It has the i7-920 cpu, 9gb ddr3 & a gtx 260 that came in the pc. Im having a hard time finding info on sli capability or xfire for this oem board. Has anyone used dual video cards on this mobo? I think HP has it in all their pavillion elite i7-920 pcs. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

also, I was told by an hp tech (after some arguing) that it was "possible in theory, but not reccomended by HP" wtf? it is or its not, right?

It will support dual graphic cards, so you can run multiple monitors if you like, but HP does not recommend this because the power supply in the unit is not powerful enough to support 2 GPU's.
This board does not support SLI or Crossfire at all.
When you buy a prebuild, you must remember that unless you upgrade and pay for something, you only get the very minimum. They don't include any bells or whistles. This may be a X58 series Intel chipset motherboard, but it has been stripped down to the bare minimum it needs to work in the configuration you paid for. It is a fairly fast and decent PC for the money, but it is exactly what it is, and no more.

It may be an Intel motherboard, and it may have a X58 chipset on it. But these are being built by the thousands for HP, Dell, Gateway, you name it for about 40 bucks each. These boards are nothing at all like the $250-$300 X58 chipset retail boards you are looking at on Newegg.

Where did you see that it will support Crossfire or SLI? I can find no mention anywhere, not even on HP's site they will support SLI or Crossfire?
Oh wait, I see. You have found a RETAIL version of this board.
Are you certain that is the same board that HP has in it? I would be very surprised if it is.......

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IPMTB-TK-BULK&cat=MBB
In there under general features, says it supports SLI

EDIT: I see youve edited.. it could well be... its cheap enough at 125$ and HP will get pretty cheaply buying by bulk... hard to say for sure tbh

I have seen other reviews of new i7' prebuilds. They are coming in at very competitive prices. One of the reasons the new i7 prebuilds are so competitive is because the motherboards are stripped down versions which do not support SLI or Crossfire.
I am hunting, I just read one of these the other day. I put the links up as soon as I find them......

soulgraph

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Thanks, I read sli mobos have some chip that has to be flipped around to engauge sli mode also. Is this true? I couldnt see it on the pic of oem or the retail vers. If this cant support sli, whats my best option on a single GPU, hd5870?

soulgraph

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
thanks for the help I'll probably go w/ a 5870, a new psu & chalk it up to a learning experience. This rig performs good just not great maybe a higher end single GPU will give me what im looking for :)

In the end, that is what I would do. If my gaming performance was not on par, I would just get a better single card solution. The 260 is really a little under matched to the rest of an i7 system. Be advised though, check on your PSU requirements. HP it's self admits the PSU is just adequate for the system the way it was sold!

LOL, you just made my morning
though i would love to see a picture of a ham sandwich in a pci-e slot

@everyone here, i would be surprised if the HP motherboard supported either CF or SLI

soulgraph

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
The board is truckee UL8E rev ed 1.01, its brown not blue other than that the only difference I see is a p\n sticker where the model # should be. It has pegatron printed on it as well.