Your question

Difference in Core temps

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Opteron
Last response: in CPUs
November 16, 2009 7:20:40 PM

I've got an AMD opteron 185 where Coretemp(0.99.5) is reporting a difference in temps of about 10dec C it's not overclocked or anything trick.

At Idle it's 36/46 with an Akasa-876 (95mm fan air radiator on short heatpipes) and when you load it up both core temps rise about 10 degrees or so.

Should I be worried?

G

More about : difference core temps

a c 117 à CPUs
November 16, 2009 11:20:59 PM

No. You were not worried before using Coretemp and your temps are fine.
November 19, 2009 8:38:27 PM

Fair enuff..

cheers for the re-assurance, though 10degrees does sound a lot..
Related resources
a c 117 à CPUs
November 19, 2009 9:43:47 PM

If it was new you might be able to RMA it for that reason, but if it has survived that core temperature difference for a couple years, then it will survive for several more years.
November 20, 2009 7:00:51 AM

Ebay special I'm afraid..

Coretemp was one of the first apps I ran on the processor when installed, and since then I've been reluctant to overly stress the processor (continued benchmarking, or overclocking) without knowing what would happen if the temperature did rise to a critical point..

How do opterons cope with overheating scenarios? Do they reduce the clock speed until life is peachy again, or go up in smoke?

I've heard rumours that it could be fixed by removing the IHS and clamping the heat-sink directly to the chips, however this seems pretty drastic to me (anything involving a knife and a microprocessor
a c 117 à CPUs
November 20, 2009 10:12:44 AM

I don't know how an Opteron behaves, but I would presume that it will either slow down or the system will crash.

Quote:
I've heard rumours that it could be fixed by removing the IHS and clamping the heat-sink directly to the chips, however this seems pretty drastic to me (anything involving a knife and a microprocessor
I sure wouldn't try that solution. The chip is designed to run at 65°C maximum.
!