tenzin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi guys here is my system spec:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz
Asus M4A785TD-V Evo Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws ddr3 4gb (2x2gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24 @ 1.6v
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

okay i am having trouble running the ram at 1600mhz, i got the latest bios for the board and went into bios and I changed these settings:

Memory Clock Mode (Manual)
Memclock Value (800MHz)
DRAM Timing Mode (Both)
TCL (7)
TRCD (8)
TRP (7)
TRAS (24)
Memory OverVoltage (1.605v) *exact 1.6v was not an option)
Everything else i left it at default. When i go into cpuz it reads 1333Mhz with the correct timings i have set. I was wondering how to run the ram speed on 1600Mhz rather than 1333Mhz.

Thank you in advance!

The fastest memory the Phenom processors officially support is 1333mhz.
Some people are getting 1600mhz, and even beyond to work. From what I have seen, they have to relax the timings so far, it is probably no better in the end than just running the default of 1333.

Personally, I would work with 1333 setting and try to get the timings lower.

And once again I am going to say this since so many people seem to think they need 1600mhz memory. Memory speed is not a bottleneck in modern systems. There is no real world difference in running memory at 1333 or 1600mhz. This is more of a big numbers game by memory vendors to get you to pay more money for something whether it actually does you any good or not.
Kinda like the "SLI Certified Memory" from a couple of years ago. "SLI Certified" indeed. I cannot believe people paid premiums to for that stuff, but they did.
There is a a place for faster memory, but that is using it in conjunction with overclocks of the FSB for processor speed. Buying faster memory ensures that you don't overclock the memory past what it is rated to run when you start overclocking the processor by way of the bus speed. But simply buying faster memory and setting it to the faster speed in the BIOS does very, very little for you.

tenzin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
hey thank you for your reply. I the problem was that when i run this timing 7-8-7-24 as written on the memory. i cant get it to run at 1600mhz with those timings but i was messing around and i got it to run 1600mhz at 8-7-7-24 @ 1.6v i tried increasing the voltage for the ram a little but still the same. so doesn't really matter. I got close enough and ran a memtest86+ v4 for 3 hours with no errors. and i dont really want to overclock the cpu. just wanted everything to run at what i paid for. thank you

There are 2 different 955 processors. One has an updated memory controller that enables the use of DDR3 1600 at 1600. ( C3 ) think it has an "M" instead of an "I" in the part number/model number.
Having said that...... the lowering the multiplier thing above could help you make gains here also. jit has some useful info 2. Find the latest version of cpu-z/gpu-z. It has an updated processor library. Might not be reading yours right.