PC boots up on second time

scream

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
For a while now (might be several weeks) I noticed that my PC boots up in a strange way: when I first turn it on, it starts booting for a few seconds but then completely shuts down, then a pause of a second two, and then it boots up all on its own with no problems.

My own suspicion is that this has to do with me using OC Tuner on ASUS P8P67 PRO to overclock my 2500K (I am completely new to overclocking). Also, some Googling seemed to suggest that this is related to undervolting and maybe I should just up the voltage a little and it will be OK. But I thought I'd post here before trying anything. Actually I am away from my PC now so I won't be able to try things for a few days. Anyway, I thought it was time to pay attention to this issue before it possibly gets worse.

My specs:

CPU: Core i5-2500K @ 4300? (whereabouts...) Mhz (CM Hyper 212 Plus)
MB: ASUS P8P67 PRO
RAM: DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance LP 2x2GB
GPU: MSI GTX 460 HAWK
HDD: Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB
PSU: Corsair VX550W

This is my first post on TH, I visit this site often and enjoy the articles, but I am not an enthusiast and not too tech-savvy when it comes to hardware. Thanks for any input.

scream

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
OK so I solved this myself, sort of. Turned out it was all due to RAM, I remember tweaking something in BIOS (Ai Overclock Tuner), because the memory frequency was incorrect, The bootup problem began because I switched that setting from Auto to XMP. So now I switched it back to Auto and it boots up Ok. Still, I think I read somewhere that this XMP setting should work and I think now my memory frequency is lower than it should be. I guess I should read more about voltage and other things.

:hello: Welcome to the forums.

K's are simple to overclock. Just leave the memory settings on Auto and play with the internal multiplier and the motherboard core voltage settings.

If memory clock has defaulted to 1333 MHz, don't worry about it. Trying to overclock the memory doesn't help much in Intel systems.