Sign in with
Your question

LED on MOBO lights, no power up.

Last response: in Components
November 16, 2009 8:25:58 PM

I've got a problem with a Dell Optiples 755.

When I plug it in, the fan doesn't spin as is typical with most dells. (Most Dells fans will spin when you plug power in)

When I push the power button, nothing happens. I have noticed that there is an LED that is lit on the MoBo, so it appears it has power.

Any suggestions?

Is it the PS?

More about : led mobo lights power

a b ) Power supply
November 16, 2009 8:54:41 PM

I assume the PC worked fine before now ? If so I would say the PSU.

m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
November 16, 2009 9:19:18 PM

The LED on the motherboard simply indicates that the PSU is plugged in and the PSU switch is on. The LED is powered by the standby power supply, a small 5 volt power supply separate from the main section that provides power to the whole computer.

I'd look at the PSU first also.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2009 7:20:51 AM

Probably the psu, but one other small possibility may be worth mentioning.

If the cpu fan does not come on, the system will not start up. If you can see *any* evidence (other than the LED) that the system is trying to start up, it may be a dead cpu fan.

Again, its most likely the psu.
m
l
November 17, 2009 1:10:13 PM

If you have a videocard in the system, take it out and use the onboard graphics to see if that makes the problem go away.
m
l
November 18, 2009 5:10:52 PM

I took out the video card, and that did not fix anything, I then hooked up an extra PSU I have that is brand new, that did not fix anything either. So, would it be the CPU fan, memory, or what?

Note: neither the CPU fan or the Graphics fans are spinning up.
m
l
November 18, 2009 8:17:33 PM

Since you've already tried a different PSU, I'll presume that the second PSU worked in a different syste, and will rule that out for now.

Check the obvious first such as the front panel headers. Is the 2-pin power on connector plugged in?

Is your motherboard the type with two separate connectors for power, a 4 pin and a 20 pin that are in separate locations on the motherboard?
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 20, 2009 4:18:13 AM

Just FYI
I had same issue and I replace the PSU. It works for me
m
l
!