5870 benchmark

Solution
Ok wait a minute, there's a 'Best Answer' to this thread?

BTW, already posted in the other big hd5870 & 5850 thread, plus the architecture.

But overall, looking good, just need me the mobile version sooooooner rather than later on a nice mobile Quad Core solution, is that too much to ask !?! :??:

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Every new gen battle between ati and nvidia is interesting. Both companies showing what they can do early when they actually have something new and exciting.

This time Ati is showing nvidia that their low high end card, 5870, can compete and in some cases beat their highest end card.
(This is an assumtion as the cards are not out and benched by non biased people....)

Nvidia will not take that laying down, but it will most likely take them a few months to produce a 5780x2 killer.

jennyh

Splendid
Nvidia doesn't really have history on their side. How much faster than the 9800gx2 was the gtx280? Was it faster at all really?

You are correct about the X2 zipzoom. It will be the fastest card you can buy until TSMC's 28nm node is perfected, which will probably happen in about 1 years time.

There is no way, at all, that the g300 can be faster than the 5870 x2. Not a chance can any single gpu be close to this. Nvidia can only take the performance crown back with their own X2 and that just won't be happening with the g300 at 40nm.

Nvidia might even be worried that the g300 isn't as good as the single 5870. That is more likely, ridiculous as it sounds.

Ok wait a minute, there's a 'Best Answer' to this thread?

BTW, already posted in the other big hd5870 & 5850 thread, plus the architecture.

But overall, looking good, just need me the mobile version sooooooner rather than later on a nice mobile Quad Core solution, is that too much to ask !?! :??:

Solution

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008

.....yes there will, there will be a large improvement....

Well there could be, especially i some games, and future games, but if that one monitor is a 30" 25x16 monitor, there's a bunch of games that will see a difference immediately.

Big thing is to make sure it's worth it for the game you play, because it's not going to do much for the SIMs. :whistle:

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

Oh my sorry i didn't see it there. You can close this thread if you wish and sorry again.

jennyh

Splendid

I sorta discounted 30" screens because so few own them, and by the looks of it very few ever will.

Sure a 5870 is going to be better, just about in every department vs any current gen card. Obviously when dx11 takes off the difference will be pretty clear even on single screens, but the real difference is gonna be over 3 screens.

I'm sorta 'low high end' when it comes to buying tech, which means I'm well above the average person but well below those spending silly money. I will have 3 screens on each of my two pc's within 1 year, that's a guarantee.

I'm not sure the type of games you play really make that much difference. I play MMO's and WoW runs pretty flawlessly on 1 midrange system, but after seeing it on 6 screens and thinking 'hey i can just about afford that and i sure as hell want it', I think a lot of people will be coming to the same conclusion.

It's not about need, it's about want.

Nah, no wishes, I just found it funny that the thread had a 'Best Answer' option.

It's all good, as long as there aren't too many, and it'll probably make it easier for some to see.

xaira

Distinguished
dont you guys wanna wait for the non reference versions, these things will have two billion transistors, twice the shaders of the previous generation with a decrease of only 15nm, non ref coolers or nuthin baby

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Well, we have no idea what the reference cooler will be like to begin with, it might surprise us.

Additionally, there have been rumblings I've heard from some sapphire techs that the vapor-X cooler may start to show up on cards at, or very near, release. We will have to wait and see. Of course you can always add your own cooling solution. Mind you, i currently use the stock buggers and can't really whine about em too much.

xaira

Distinguished

an advantage of the x2 version is that if you live in a cold climate, u dont need a room heater
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15499/1/