How to get sound from computer to TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukitg

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I just connected my hdtv to my computer via a HDMI/DVI wire and the video quality is amazing. the only issue is that the audio is not also transferred. is it possible to get the video output through the hdmi/dvi and the audio through another output (pref through my soundblaster audigy se 7.1 card).

Thanks,
Luke

Solution
So for the first post;

Take a look at you manual and see if you have another line out that works for stereo (not surround), I took a quick look at the Creative site, and as usual their help SUCKS !!

According to this picture from NewEgg it isn't clear what your options are;

29-102-012-02.jpg

As for your second question, it doesn't look like you have the usual 2 pin SPDIF connector most audio cards have, the SE is once again Sh1tty edition it seems, and they want you to get a prioprietary connector looking at the same pictures from NewEgg;

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/29-102-012-03.jpg

I'm not sure if you can get and SPDIF 3.5mm to SPDIF 2 wire...
You should provide more details, like what graphics card? You might be able to send audio over the HDMI, but likely you will need to take the audio out from your card and put it to whatever audio in suport your TV has, or you can hook your Audigy up to your stereo via SPDIF or Analogue out/in.

Also the forum and google have answered this a few times, you might want to search there too.

lukitg

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I did search but did not find anything really directly relating. I am running a geforce GTX 275. The output options are two DVI and one S-Video. The TV has an audio in (RGB/DVI), so I am assuming that would be the input. But how would i connect that between the computer/tv?

I use my soundcard for sound on the computer, so if i connect to the onboard sound I doubt the sound would transmit... or am I wrong?

Depends on what the audio in looks like, if it looks like a headphone jack, then you can use a long male 3.5 mm to 3.5mm male cable (like the kind for AUX in in most cars) from the headphone our audio out on the back of the Audigy card (check the instructions for the colour coding).
If it's RCA jack for the audio in, then you wold use a 3.5mm to RCA splitter cable like this;

6651.jpg

You should be able to use both your PC sound and output to TV at the same time if one doesn head-phone and the other does audio out; but it also depends on how your sound-card outputs are currently being used, if you're using all the ports for anologue audio (to surround speakers) then you likely need to add something from the card itself (like a headphone or audio in/out jumper) for that you would need to look at the card destruction manual.

daship

Distinguished
You cant use the sound in for the RGB unless you use the RGB for video in, they work together. Does the video card itself have some audio connector? I dont use Nvidia, but I do know ATI cards have built in audio right on the card and it sounds lots better then built in motherboard audio.

Check your sound properties and see if theres a sound option on hdmi.

Unless as he says " The TV has an audio in (RGB/DVI) " and it's the input for either the RGB or DVI and switched between either depending on input.

I've seen that on a few commercial panels we use here at work, where the VGA & DVI just have one audio in and you select it in the TV menu as PC audio in.

lukitg

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I am using the headphone jack on the sound card already for my computer speakers, but the orange and black surround speakers are not being used. Would there be a way to use those to connect to the audio in? The audio in on the back of the tv is 3.5 mm

lukitg

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
"Requires DVI-to-HDMI dongle and SPDIF audio cable from motherboard to graphics card."

saw that in fine print at the bottom of the nvidia site describing the card. does that mean i can get audio through the dvi to hdmi cable?

So for the first post;

Take a look at you manual and see if you have another line out that works for stereo (not surround), I took a quick look at the Creative site, and as usual their help SUCKS !!

According to this picture from NewEgg it isn't clear what your options are;

29-102-012-02.jpg

As for your second question, it doesn't look like you have the usual 2 pin SPDIF connector most audio cards have, the SE is once again Sh1tty edition it seems, and they want you to get a prioprietary connector looking at the same pictures from NewEgg;

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/29-102-012-03.jpg

I'm not sure if you can get and SPDIF 3.5mm to SPDIF 2 wire connector for that card to plug into your GTX, but that's what the input is for on the graphics card, to allow you to pass audio through the card.

Most motherboard audio and most audio cards have the 2 pin SPDIF connector they refer to like I had on my original Audigy card too.

You may need to send Creative a note to find out what you can so with what looks like a somewhat crippled (by Creative) card.

Solution
G

If you're converting the DVI out to HDMI, and you have a decent Video card, all you have to do is connect the SPDIF out of the motherboard to the 2-pin input on the Video card.

Example, I just built a WMC with a EVGA GTX-275. The audio goes through the HDMI and plays through a Yamaha Receiver in 5.1.
I watch Bu-Rays from the Hard Drive with perfect Audio/Video. I don't even have a Sound Card. There's just NO need these's days with a good MOMBO. :sol:

bobby hawk

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/tvone/converter-box/1t-ap-216.htmhttp://www.testequipmentdepot.com/tvone/converter-box/1t-ap-216.htmI have been working on this same issue myself and found it very difficult to resolve. The manufactureres of TVs are not necessarraly hooked up with the manufacturers of PCs, therefore the support is slim at best. many modern video cards have a HDMI output wich is capable of video and sound, however getting that sound out via HDMI is the issue.
I have seen several possible solutions

1) Somewhere and I can not remember where I saw a DVI HDMI cable wich included a DVI connector with Sound cable which terminated into HDMI, I could not find this cable later when I realy considered purchasing it.

2) My Video card has a SPDIF connector on the card (small white two prong connector), My issue is there is no digital output from my sound on my mainboard, further my video card covers over the only PCI slot I have on the mainboard. callenges.... Callenges .... Now what?

Well you can send video out from your sound card and capture that video out in an analog to digital converter such as the one made by TV one. Then you have to obtain an RCA (Coax) to two prong SPDIF connctor for your video card. These are difficult to find MSI offeres them for their video cards. With enough parts from Radio shack, you can make your own.

3) If you have a SPDIF output on your sound card or on you main board, then the problem is easier. You can obtain the proper cable on Amazon to attach to your sound SPDIF and the other end is made to connect to your main board.

The volume of complaints concerning this issue is staggering. One would think that the video card manufacturers would be wise enought to know that supplying an HDMI terminal was always going to require some abiltiy for the tech to attach sound. I know this is not the response many of you expected, however for right now cobbling this sound thing together is the only option available.

Status
Not open for further replies.