virtual memory to low is flashing

I have an vintage motherboard with ram bus and I just added some more because the virtual memory was flashing, well now it started again and I read somewhere that you can change the cache to boost performance! or is there a better cheap solution to keep this clunker?
19 answers Last reply
More about virtual memory flashing
  1. YoungBuck said:
    I have an vintage motherboard with ram bus and I just added some more because the virtual memory was flashing, well now it started again and I read somewhere that you can change the cache to boost performance! or is there a better cheap solution to keep this clunker?

How large is the virtual memory? Have you increased it?
  2. it was only a 128mb ddr then I put another 2 sticks of 512mb each total 1024 and not it on't reads 768mb......It worked good for 2 weeks and now it's back again
  3. But you didn't answer my question. System Properties, Advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory. What size is it?

Also check Task Manager, Performance

Commit Charge (K)
    Total = ?
    Limit = ?
    Peak = ?
  4. which OS, with a MB that old are you running 98?
  5. in the advanced section of performance it says

Min: 384
    Max 768

Im guessing why my computer only reads 768! so can I bump this # up?
  6. The OS I'm running is Windows XP Pro
  7. Total= 837820
    Limit =1245840
    Peak =1214596
  8. YoungBuck said:
    in the advanced section of performance it says

Min: 384
    Max 768

Im guessing why my computer only reads 768! so can I bump this # up?
    You limited virtual memory to only 768 MB, which is way too low if you're getting an error. Your system only detects 768MB of RAM for a totally different reason. It either doesn't support 1GB modules or you bought an incompatible module, e.g., single-sided when dual-sided is required.

Set your virtual memory minimum to 512MB and the maximum to 1.5GB. You get an error whenever the peak gets close to the limit.
  9. Dogman are you telling me to flat line my mobo and start over...lol
    I had this old better for 7 years and now I keep it for sentimental purpose's, to remind me of a time when these relics used to be body body lol

Now that I got youre guys attention I'm thinking of building another computer (long over do) for around $800 and I'm looking at the Asus P7P55d mobo...Is this a good upgrade?
  10. If you now plan on building a new PC, may I suggest that you start a new thread or change the title of this one?
  11. set to
    and 1.5? you mean 1500
  12. Sorry! I don't know the rules here yet.....first I got to keep this beater running before I start another computer..NM I will start another thread later but first thing is first
  13. OK I changed the #'s and it didn't beep so I'm guessing thats a good thing?
  14. YoungBuck said:
    set to
    and 1.5? you mean 1500

1.5GB and 1536MB are the same.
  15. Is that it? Now that I changed those #'s and my computer is still running properly.................
  16. YoungBuck said:
    Is that it? Now that I changed those #'s and my computer is still running properly.................

It will run properly unless you try to multitask and use close to the new memory limit.
  17. I have to say thank you very much! You have been a big help
  18. I'm glad you got it working properly. I used to have a system with Rambus memory, but the motherboard eventually died.
  19. This bad boy is probably on it's last leg....sooner or later I will have to put it out in the pasture! lol
    But thanks to you it will live for now.................
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Virtual Memory Motherboards