Installing PCI video card

G

Hi, my pc has integrated intel video and i decided to upgrade it to a very simple pci video card (evga 9400gt pci version)

I installed it according to the manual but when i tried to boot the xp it froze, i tried to boot to win7 and it worked but internet stopped working (no network adapter found error)
when i take the card out internet starts working again, if I try to install drivers i get an error saying no compatible hardware found, I thought card was broken so I ordered a replacement, still same problem
I flashed the bios, updated it, disabled and uninstalled old video drivers (for integrated video) still does not work evga support told me to call dell, dell told me to call evga, Im really frustrated, can anybody provide at least some information that could help me??

my pc
windows 7
500w psu
160gb sata 7200rpm
2gb ram
pentium 4 2.8ghz with hyperthreading

also, when the card is in the pc i get a new item in the device manager, its called "pci standard pci to pci bridge" what is it?? when i disable it internet starts to work again

G

nope i never used or even installed daemon tools on my pc,

im not sure what motherboard i have, i know that its a custom made board, it was made for dell by foxconn, i have an intel integrated video card buy im not sure about the model

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Try putting it in a different PCI slot. The PCI bus might be shared and sometimes won't work if it's shared. Using a different PCI slot (if available) will fix issues like this. If you have an old motherboard, you might have up to 5 PCI slots, if not more. Try with the one closest to the CPU and move your way downwards until it works.

G

I have 2 pci slots and 1 pcie x1, i tried it in both pci slots but nothing changes

G

some more info:
i tried to go to device manager to look at the new item pci standard pci to pci bridge (which appears when video card is in the pc) when i click on it it says this component cannot run because there is not enough resources code 12

what does it mean does anyone know?? i have 130gb of free space on hard drive and only 700mb is being used from 2gb of ram that i have, psu is also powerful enough, what resources does it need???

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
This is definately an issue with shared irq/slot/number (whatever you want to call it). You will need to set the irq for your new card manually, either in bios or windows. The motherboard is causing the problem, thats why you still have problems in different windows.

G

how can i change it? I looked everywhere in the bios, no options for it there, can i do it through win7 if yes then how, if not then how can i do it in xp, i still have my xp disk and if I have to install it to get this working ill do it, just tell me how to change the irq settings plz, thanks for your help.

Joe_Modesto

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
ok I think that “alex14469” is correct,
to rule out the new card can you install in a different pc to check it?

Insert your new pci graphics card in to you motherboard.
Turn on the pc, go into the bios on boot up.
It should be under “onboard devices” or something like that
It should have some thing like – On-board VGA , On-board graphics card or onboard graphics controller anything with the word “graphics” in it.
There should be an option to disable it, do that
Then save & exit go into windows
Go to device manager & check if there are any conflicts, with the network card, the graphics card shouldn’t show up here if its been disable in the bios.
If there is a conflict it should show up as a red or yellow mark.
If this does not help or you have any trouble say so, ill see what I can do.
More info would help,
If it’s a dell – model name,
If it’s a custom build mother board make & model, you might have said this before sorry,
Joe

G

Thanks for the reply, I found out that it is a conflict, when I click on the device it says that in order to use it i have to disable another device that is using the same resource but i was not able to find,
in the bios only 2 options are available, auto or onboard, i chose auto since in the description states that if new gpu is found it will switch to in and it does, i get video through the card but it blocks internet and i cannot install drivers for it,
my pc is a dell demension e310
motherboard is dell dv051, with latest bios version
again, thanks so much for the help

I tried disabling and uninstalling the network card through the bios but no luck.

TRENDING THREADS