Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Monitors
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2009 2:24:26 PM

Hey,

I have posted here before in the past when I was building my initial computer. This was about 6 months ago.

Recently I have been running into a very odd issue and was hoping for some insight if possible.

First my specs:

Asus Striker II Forumla
4GB DDR2 GSkill
Geforce GTX280 (when it first came out) w/1GB DDR3
Q9550 Overclocked to 3.2GHz
Razer Mouse and Keyboad
Acer 24" LCD
800Watt PSU
Cosmos Case

The issues started with my computer loosing the signal to the monitor and freezing. I would have to restart, sometimes it would seem like it is booting up but the monitor still shows no signal (little logo floating around saying no signal). It started happening more frequently until I got very irritated and had to figure out a way to fix it. So I removed the video card and put it back in hoping it was just some loose connection, now the computer seems like it is booting up fine, LCD poster shows no issues and acts as if it is booting up into windows but I still have NO signal on the monitor. I have tried two other video cards (low end untested ones) which still didn't work. My monitor works for sure I have tested it.

What confuses me the most is how it acts as if it is booting up, all the lights go on all the fans work fine the LCD poster goes through every piece of hard ware without stopping.

I am not sure if this is a motherboard issue or truly a video card issue, any help on this matter would be much appreciated, thank you very much in advanced.

Regards,
--FoFo

More about : built computer issues months

a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 25, 2009 2:37:28 PM

"No video" problems are very common. A common cause of these problems if faulty RAM. I would try each stick of RAM by itself in the first RAM slot. This checklist was created to troubleshoot problems like yours:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
m
l
August 25, 2009 5:33:56 PM

Thank you for the advice I will be sure to check the RAM when I get home today, I really hope it is only a RAM problem that would be perfect.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2009 5:49:54 PM

What PSU? If it's a cheap brand that could be a reason also. Also could be RAM.
m
l
August 25, 2009 6:45:28 PM

I think it is a OCZ PSU I know it is a brand name and it cost me a good amount I just cannot remember which on it is. Plus everything gets power including all 6 fans CPU fans lights keyboard etc, but I really hope it is a RAM issue would make my life a lot easier.
m
l
!