Sign in with
Your question

How to setup a WAN across the internet?

Last response: in Networking
October 11, 2009 9:36:28 PM

assume we have a business that is located in 3 different contries and the main office is in the US.
And we need to have our own wan.
Here is the needed info.
What is the best MS OS that can handle that WAN optimally (installed on the LAN's Workstations)?
What are the hardware requirements?(Type of swicthes DSL or Cable - Routers and Switches )It s all going to use Ethernet CAT 6 Cables and Network Cards on the LANs.

And If vpn tunneling is going to be our best option or would there be better options or technologies?

Again There will be a WAN (connecting 3 LANs over the internet)

about the server Roles and locations
should we use a server located in the main office that can handle the WAN
or would we need three servers (for back up and sharing resouces plus administration)
So I need to know about the use of the servers and their roles and locations.

Is there any third party software that can make this job easier and managable?

Sorry for the too much of a question and please bear with me I might be saying things incorrectly

IN short I wanna build A wan what do I need ?
Thank You

More about : setup wan internet

October 14, 2009 12:48:11 PM

ashraf_01 said:
assume we have a business that is located in 3 different contries and the main office is in the US.

How big are your offices? What are your bandwidth considerations? You probably need to ask around and find out what requirements you have:
- Do you just want to share drives?
- Do you want to access your own desktop from another office?
- Do you want to run applications from one office in another?
- File transfer
- Number of concurrent users
- Printing etc etc etc
- What type of industry are you.
ashraf_01 said:
What are the hardware requirements?(Type of swicthes DSL or Cable - Routers and Switches )It s all going to use Ethernet CAT 6 Cables and Network Cards on the LANs.

And If vpn tunneling is going to be our best option or would there be better options or technologies?

If you are just going to do VPN tunnelling, you need to make sure your router will handle it, don't worry about cables, NICs etc.

Our router, which is a pretty old DrayTek Vigor, handles lan to lan VPN easily and gives you detailed instructions about how to do it. With VPN, your main concern is the encryption protocol, different security strengths will give different access speeds, so it's a playoff between security and speed. If you are a financial institution, then security is more important than bandwidth, if you are a media company, then bandwidth may be more important.

If your bandwidth/security requirements are higher or you have requirements not met by VPN, then you may need to consider commercial leased lines, which I'm not qualified to comment on.
October 14, 2009 3:37:13 PM

Just a suggestion, it would be better if you consult and network consultant if you want to setup a internation WAN connection. Get those who are the best in their fields they will give you every details you want to know.
Just my suggestion. :) 
October 15, 2009 2:54:31 AM

Thank You Both for Your reply
!