ryfoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I know this has been done to death but I could use some help. I've read some of the threads here, indeed I thought I'd made up my mind then I started to be persuaded by Jennyh's defence of the Phenom x 4 965.

So here are my choices:

i7 920 & EVGA X58 SLI LE
i5 750 & Asus ASUS Maximus III GENE
AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition 125w & Asus Crosshair III Formula

I am mainly looking for a gaming platform, as I generally just use my PC for gaming (FPS's) and browsing (occasional DVD ripping and other PC tasks but nothing really hardcore).

At the minute I feel drawn towards the Phenom as I like the idea of 2 x 16 lanes for crossfire (think I'm going to hold fire on buying a GPU until there is better availability of 5850s - other choices are a 4890 interim or 2 x 5770), triple channel memory and the cost.

I can afford the 17 920 but i think it would be wasted on me.

Feel apprehensive about i5 given the reports of CPU burn outs, as I will be o'clocking.

If you want the best, buy the i7 with the x58. BUT if you want the best, for the best price, get the 965 with the crosshair III formula. Or, get the 955 and O.C. to 3.4GHz.

IMO, with the 955 and the Crosshair III formula, you have enough, but if you want the 965, is a good option too.

jennyh

Splendid
Honestly it's such a tough choice. If you can afford it with no qualms, go for the i7 - but only if you really believe you need to have the best.

If you aren't impressed by intels business decisions and would rather support the underdog while saving a few $$$'s, go with the Phenom II.

In gaming terms there is very little between them. The i7 is clearly the superior cpu in just about everything else, but even then most of it is hardly noticable.

Both have good upgrade paths, both taking hexa-core cpu's in future and the Phenom possibly taking Bulldozer but thats a bit further away.

I don't rate the i5 at all.

ryfoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Thanks for the input all, I think I'm definately thinking I'm going to go down the Phenom 965 route.

Been researching and it seems that low voltage memory with tight timings works best, anyone have any experience with either of the below:

3x2GB Corsair XMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333)
3x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800

ryfoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Thought I'd let you know I made my decision:

Phenom II x 4 965
Cross Hair III
4 GB Patriot Ram

Will wait on GPU upgrade until stocks of 5850's become more prevalent.

Thanks for everyone's input.

-----------------------

Really good option, congratulations and enjoy your rig....

Cheers!