Sign in with
Your question

Case recommendation for water cooling set up

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2009 3:54:39 PM

I am considering a water cooling set up for my new build. I was going to use a antec p182, but have read that the larger video cards require the removal of the internal drive bay cage to fit. I plan to run 6 3.5 drives for the build, so I am planning on getting a new case and using the p182 for a server setup.

What cases would you recommend? I know I need to read all the water cooling articles before choosing components for the loop. I would just like to figure out which case to go with first.

I would prefer something without tons of lights, looking for something more subtle and professional looking. Side window is optional.

So I need a case with the following:
- 6 internal drive bays
- 3 external 5.25 bays(two optical, 1 fan control, I could go with only two optical if fans aren't needed for a WC set up)
- Black

I will be waiting for the new cards to come out before I buy, but if I had to buy today it would be a 275 or 285 card. So the case needs to be able to fit the big stuff.

I was thinking of the HAF 932, but I'm not sure I need a high airflow case with the WC.
EDIT: Just saw that the 932 only has 5 internal bays. I was planning on three drives in raid 0 and three drives in raid 5, though I suppose I could go to only two drives in raid 0 and three in raid 5, so I guess a 5 bay case would work. Would prefer a 6 bay one though.

Thanks.
August 25, 2009 3:59:52 PM

You should still get a fairly high airflow case because your motherboard, power supply, and other components will still need the airflow, and depending on how large of a WC setup you do your graphics card may need it to. A full tower like the HAF 932 would be good, the antec 1200 is huge but comes with tons of lighted fans.
m
l
August 25, 2009 4:37:55 PM

I've noticed that some of the cases have two or three external 3.5 bays. Can I leave the cover on and use it for an internal drive? Will it fit like that? If so, it opens up several options.
m
l
August 25, 2009 4:56:15 PM

Yeah, there are lots of 5.25" to 3.5" adapters available that let you put a hard drive in an optical drive bay. If you only need 1 DVD burner that frees up alot of slots for hard drives.
m
l
!