neochaos01

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hi today I bought the Amd 955 3.2ghz quad core.
The cpu fan idles around 4000rpm and when under load goes up to 6000! which is like a jet engine. If i didn't have headphones it would be even worse.

Don't get me wrong my temps are very good, idles around 39c and under load 51c but the fan shouldn't be that fast I think?
See the thing is, I've made three upgrades in the past month to my pc, and before I bought this my old dual core amd only went to around 5000 under load. But started to go allot faster since i made these following upgrades.

My first upgrade was the 6870 Ati Sapphire card. Of which I had a weird issue with. Unless I unplug the power from the wall the display will not load. Just 100% GPU fan speed and no display. If i then turn off the power from the back and then on again it loads fine.

My second upgrade was a new power supply unit I got the OCZ 700W modular. Hoping that it would solve the weird display issue with my card. Turns out it made no difference I still have to power on and off to get a display.
I then tested the card in my friends rig and it appears my motherboard doesn't like it. (Fully flashed to latest Bios)

Then lastly my processor as explained at the top. Do you think one of these upgrades is the issue in the wierd fan speeds?

Thanks and sorry if it's not wrote well. Best i can explain it.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Fan speeds can be adjusted by programs and by selected target temps. that said AMD stock coolers are very loud to begin with. i would recommend looking into an after market heatsink. look into www.arctic-cooling.com they have low RPM fans that cool much better than the stock heatsinks but are near silent.

as for the video card, its common for video card fans to run at 100% when they only get power from the PCI-E port OR the 6 pin power from teh PSU but not both. if this happens only when the computer cold starts then i would say its an issue with the card getting power at the wrong time or not enough power at start up. perhaps a PCIe power setting in the bios could change this but thats all i can think of. if this happens when the comp goes to sleep then it must be a power saving issue in windows such as link layer power savings.

neochaos01

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Thanks for answer. I'll take a look into aftermarket cooling, my only issue is it voids the warranty and already I've way overspent for what i planned to buy so if anything goes wrong I'll be gutted.

I was planning on my motherboard been my next upgrade but it's never as cheap as i wanted it to be. If i buy a new board I'll need new ddr3 ram too. So i was trying to thin out my upgrade costs so i can have a breather and use my current motherboard for as long as i can.

So for now do you think the fan spinning at that speed will cause damage to the cpu? Or do you think It can wait for a while?

Thank you. Rob

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
swapping a cooler on your cpu does not void any warranty im aware of. if you ever need to send it in just keep your stock fan and put it back on before you ship it off. hell when i had a ATI saffire X800 my dog jumped on it when teh side of hte case was open and fried it. i sent it in with my arctic-cooling heatsink and they still fixed it.

no, the fan wont cause any damage to the comp. I have worked retail for many years and hear complaints all the time from clients who got AMD and older intel systems. the stock fans are very loud, i would sell dozens of AC heat sinks and installs every week. I have built thousands of systems using arctic cooling heat sinks and i love them. i would be using one now if i was not liquid cooling my system.

if you want more cooling or quiet cooling on your GPU then this is a good one: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/22/accelero-twin-turbo-pro.html?c=2182
note that this will not solve what ever issue you have with the no screen on boot.

this is a great cpu cooler and can support some very heavy over clocks if you ever choose to do so: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/4/freezer-7-pro-rev.-2.html?c=2181

note that the heat sinks are quite a bit larger than stock. they do sell a more compact heatsink for about 5 bucks less but so long as you have a mid sized tower or larger with no crazy shrouds (like on dells) then you should be fine.

neochaos01

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

Thanks for taking the time to answer, As long as it can run for now until I get my new motherboard that's all I'm bothered about. I put the card issue down to my motherboard just simply not liking the card. My board is quite old now 5 or 6 years so i would of had to upgrade eventually. My temps *knock on wood* are really ok. So if the noise means it's doing its job for now I can relax a little more.

I'll look into aftermarket cooling as well, it just looks like a really delicate thing to do, to put them on, I'm a big clumsy lump =D

Thanks.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
yea, the noise is just that, noise. it could be a bad bearing or something getting stuck in the fan if its crazy loud. make sure its not eating any wires (ive had computers successfully commit suicide this way). aside from that your fine, AMD like to be under 85C so as long as your below that with load your good.

neochaos01

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

OK cheers, It's not gone past 52c at the moment but the fan is 6300 =D. As for wires I think it's ok I have a modular there is only one big wires but it's tucked away under near the processor out of any danger. I'll get my cooler Asap the noise is annoying I can hear it through headphones. Thank you. :D