As we move away from simple cpu solutions, and gpgpu usage becomes more prominent, a few things change in this industry.
Some have said the cpu is king, long live the king, while others have pointed out, the cpu is becoming more and more as just 1 more component, and is actually losing its import as we move forwards.
Part of this conclusion is the new arch coming from all 3 corners, 2 of which havnt been taken seriously by some.
Intel introwed it 80 many cores awhiles back, and of course, we all know about LRB.
nVidia has been heading in this direction since G80, and their 3rd gen looks to be a makor change in the gpgpu approach.
AMD?
Well, theyve been accused of not trying, having adding nothing, but their new cpus with IGPs have also been maligned.
Some has gone as far as to say LRB is primarily a gfx card.
Looking at AMDs next cpu/gpu chip debunks alot of this , and will play well within the mobile market, having a 1 chip does all solution will be what the demands of tomorrow is all about.
This cpu/gpu, or rather APU will allow for low power usage, makes things easier such as flash etc, lowering power draw in every day average Joe usage.
Many here said alot of people play flash games, yet contend the AMD solution willo be poor.
Others say that Fermi will be a killer, and ATI is just sitting on their thumbs.
Others say LRB will dominate in both.
Both LRB and Fermi are taking brand new approaches in this regard in their arch, and AMD has done nothing, and what they do have wis woeful.
Id like to point out No.5 in the fastest HPCs on the planet
http://www.top500.org/lists/2009/11
Without changing 1 thing, without having allll this SW build up, no CUDA, no CUDA cores, no x86 compliancy etc, they did this, and an easy upgrade path using a the newer 5870s could easily put this at the top.
So, while everyone else is talking, pushing and bragging, saying this wont work, theyre lazy etc, guess whats happened?
I think its time to rethink a few things, and those myths some have held need to be upgraded

PS I'll add that adding 5970s to this solution could vault this rig up to the fastest around.
And in six months, do so again, while changing cpus isnt an alternative, as their turnover ratio is simply slower.
9 Months from now, we should have both better cpus and gpus, and then an immediately (in cpu terms) gpu refresh increasing potential 20 % again.
A cheap, easy solution, no new socket changes, no new intructions making for major changes etc.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3678&p=1

jennyh

Splendid
I must say I was surprised to see it too. This is the beginning of the end for the cpu I feel, certainly for anything scientific the gpu's are just going to pull further and further ahead.

Not to mention, ATI appear to be on a 15-month cycle compared to intels/amd's 23 month one.

Yea, saw it. Gpgpu is here, not coming etc.
And it isnt just a nVidia affair, which has been shown recently, dont have the link handy, but it shows nVidias accomplishments here.
So server takes a hit, as a truly new competitor arrives here, and splits the pie down some.
Others have claimed this splitting in the DT arena will have grave consequences to nVidia has to use their same arguments as to whats a better ROI regarding nVidia.
And my last link, showing Anand once again, using a beta release, using the wrong drivers for ATI, even so, shows on DT the possibilities for average Joe, as well as the workplace benefits from gpgpu usage
Seeing Anand fail ATI/AMD once again doesnt look good, and I blame him, not AMD

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

That is quite a gaff from anand.. though he has noted in the write up he will fix it soon.

Now on to the task of getting work to buy me some gpu's for some model fun! Cuda seems to finally be working in lab view :).

I don't really understand why people are surprised that the GPU + CPU are quickly combining. It seemed evedent when I started school that computers woudl evolve to be made up of complex relatively serial computing cores, with relatively simple parallel cores incorperated.

I think its hard for some, especially those who follow Intel as theyve held the lead for so long, LRB isnt out yet, and its a major change.
Adding it all up, its easier to see why. Now, the real question is, how long will it take for everyone to catch on. My bet is either when Fermi and/or LRB come, and is why Im pointing this out now, so it doesnt turn into one of those exclusive "scoops"