Solved

I7 Showing only 2 cores and 4 threads

Ok so I ran cpu-z and its reporting 2 cores and 4 threads. I have a core i7 920 and know it should be 4 cores and 8 threads.
I have a dell 435mt and updated to the most recent bios. Now that i've updated the bios - i can't get into it for some reason to turn off stepping. I've changed in my boot.ini to 4 as the "number of processors". I am stumped as to why its still showing 2 cores in cpu-z.

Using the latest bios version 1.1.4 from the dell site for my Studio XPS 435mt.

A friend of mine did a home build with the same cpu - disabled stepping when he noticed the same issue - and now his reports 4 cores and 8 threads.

I know someone can help me with this here... please help.

CPU-Z report file
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about showing cores threads
  1. Change you boot.ini, set the number of processors to 8.
  2. it only goes up to 4...
  3. Best answer
    Using msconfig, go to the boot > advanced settings and uncheck the number of processors.
  4. Sorry I posted here because I know dell typicallly uses foxconn... in any case... i'm now readying the 4 cores and 8 threads.
  5. Best answer selected by Mercil355.
  6. Alternate Resolution --> Enabling all the cores from BIOS :)
  7. win7 64 bit. upgraded from core 2 duo to core 2 quad. it showed 2 cores working only in windows. device manager showed 4 cores, bios showed 4 cores. went to start, search programs, typed msconfig, open and general tab shows startup selection. make it normal startup. this worked for me. now shows all four cores.
Ask a new question

Read More

Foxconn BIOS Intel i7 CPUs Motherboards