RT3WB080 with 16 drives and midplane

Deele

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Has anyone tested Intel® RAID Controller RT3WB080 controller? It is written, that it supports up to 16 physical drives with expander. We have 12 2TB drives, but the thing is, we are trying to connect it to Intel® Server System SR2612UR, that has 12 hdd bay, and sales guy suggested that server with that raid card as working stuff. Even thou, I found no evidence for that, in compatability/tested listings. For RAID card, it is said, that it works with expander/backplane, but SR2612UR has midplane...
Still, we spend month already, just to get SAS->SAS cable with right length, as 50cm was too short :pfff:
So, the question is, does this set of raid/bay really work? If yes, how to make it work? :) Went through all options in SATA config tool, it sees only one of thos 2TB drives.
Additionally, for this server system, in Intel page, there's just two Intel RAID controllers, that are supported

Supported RAID Adapters
Manufacturer Model# Model Name Interface Form Factor Type Description
Intel SRCSASJV (MM#892602) Intel® RAID Controller SRCSASJV PCI-Express x8 2.536" x 8.25" RAID-SAS-Enterprise 8 ports
Intel SRCSASLS4I (MM#896952) Intel® RAID Controller SRCSASLS4I PCI-Express x8 MD2 RAID-SAS-Enterprise 4 internal ports

Then how does that sales guy can claim, that RT3WB080 works with SR2612UR? I'm mad, because our company sales asked 3rd company sales, best solution with this ammount of HDD space, and now, we, as technicians, need to set this thing up...

Please, this is urgent!

FireWire2

Distinguished
Deele
I look both products, I can not figure out how are you going to connect 12 drives, that is impossible!

The raid card spec state: it is compatible with SAS expander

But you do not have the SAS expander... There is NO WAY you can set this thing up as what you have
PM me if you need help