Anyone else have Nvidia driver related crashes?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hi everyone,

I have been having problems ever since I updated my videocard (EVGA 8800 GTX) drivers from Nvidia, I'm on 182.50 (for XP) and am having serious crashes to where my computer freezes up completely. After powering down my computer when I reboot it says the problem was Nv4dll, everytime this crash happens my internet files and folds are deleted as if I went to clear my internet cookies.

How can a driver effect that? Oh I'm crashing while playing Company Of Heroes Tales of Valor, for now I will put my video card at stock clocks and see if that fixes things. It freaks me out though that my video driver are able to clear my cookies and temp internet files and folders!! Before I forget any driver version above 182.50 makes my IE8 upper bars black where your "Favorites" tab is located.....

Thanks for you help, Systemlord!

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
its a common problem i had when i was on that driver. get 190.68 ,
the way i found out how to last 1 day or at least 3/4 of a day without crashing it whenever symptons of a crash (be it low fps, sluggishness, or it freezing a few times).

I shut down asap and reboot the comp. Usually itll fix the problem for the rest of the day.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I'm doing a process of elimination, the first thing I went into "Power Options" and had it set to "turn off monitor" after 5 minutes. Switch it to "Never" and ever since then no crashes, but I don't consider the problem to be solved just yet. I have no way of knowing why my IE8 bars up top turned black, or why my cookies and temp internet files were cleaned out all by itself.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I have had a few BS'sOD which the last one corrupted my driver and wouldnt boot to anything, Last known good config or safe mode, had to completely reinstall the OS this was with the new driver 190.62 too. But havnt had any issues since then, maybe my was a corrupted download. Ill never know. I started thinking it was the nvidia desktop manager hanging while playing games, i also have noticed over the years of ntune doing the same thing which i no longer run, its not worth the hanging or BSOD, i rather just leave the video card alone these days.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Just because you have an ATI videocard doesn't mean ATI cards are free from bugs, it's ludicrous to think otherwise! :sarcastic:

Anyway back to the real world I found out why I was crashing, ever since I changed how Windows puts my monitor in standby mode (after 5 minutes to Never) I have not had a problem since. It only happens with Company Of Heroes including all of it's add-ons.

TRENDING THREADS