Sign in with
Your question

Trouble connecting with wireless router & wireless adaptor

Last response: in Windows XP
February 1, 2012 8:24:22 PM

Hi,
I just got a new hp desktop I' m trying to hook up wireless from
another computer that has a router and I added a wireless adaptor
on the new computer.One computer is in the basement and one upstairs.
I get an error 651.I haven't any idea how to detemine if one of the two
things are faulty,router or the wireless adaptor.They are both new.
I used the disc for the wireless adaptor.How should I attack this is my question.
Do I need to run the router cd software for the 2nd computer also or just the one connected in basemrnt? Also the cd for the wireless adapter on 2nd computer I
run only on it.The 2nd computer has windows 7 hp.It's to hard to run an ethernet cable between the two computers to check.Hope theirs some advice out there.
I need a step by step help on this.The computer in the basement is on the
internet and works good.I get the dialog for the router to connect and put my
numbers in and password but that all it does[651]
a b F Wireless
February 2, 2012 2:45:05 PM

You're connecting them up using a much more difficult way than you need to.

Is the router wireless? If so, just connect the new computer to the wifi signal from that. Why go though another computer which you then will have to keep on for wireless to work.

Of course this hinges on the router and PC being within range of the wireless signal which is about 200 feet with no obstructions, a lot less with walls and floors in between.

Install the wifi adapter on the new PC, if it sees the wifi signal from the router, hook up to that using whatever settings you have set on it. Don't need to run config disks on anything. If you go to the router's config page (usually 192.168.1.1), you can get to the wifi settings and check what they are, set security, passwords etc... Your manuals for the thing will help you.
m
l
February 4, 2012 5:06:39 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You're connecting them up using a much more difficult way than you need to.

Is the router wireless? If so, just connect the new computer to the wifi signal from that. Why go though another computer which you then will have to keep on for wireless to work.

Of course this hinges on the router and PC being within range of the wireless signal which is about 200 feet with no obstructions, a lot less with walls and floors in between.

Install the wifi adapter on the new PC, if it sees the wifi signal from the router, hook up to that using whatever settings you have set on it. Don't need to run config disks on anything. If you go to the router's config page (usually 192.168.1.1), you can get to the wifi settings and check what they are, set security, passwords etc... Your manuals for the thing will help you.

Thanks for your help,
I called smc on the router.they didn't do me any good at all
a aste of time.I've tried everything I can think of.
The numbers and password are ok but i'm not getting any internet
on comp.2. I don't know how to change my passwod for the router?
It's a bad feeling.
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
February 6, 2012 12:23:11 PM

So the router is wireless, and the PC has the wifi adapter, you can see your own wifi connection, no internet. Is that correct? You can try to do a power-cycle on the router see if that fixes things, as long as you are connecing to your wireless OK.

If you can enter the password for your security key and get connected, you don't need to change it. No internet won't be from a password issue unless you can't connect to the router at all.
m
l
February 6, 2012 1:55:07 PM

Thanks for your reply,9
No. 1 comp. has a router and no.2 has an wireless adaptor
and I don't know how to check to see my own wifi connection.
On comp. 2 when I type in my 192.168.2.1 and password I get the box
to type in [Choose wireless router or access point you want to configure] it's not active.I still wnt to change my password
that they put in for me[Don't know how]maybe need to use disc for that?
m
l
a b F Wireless
February 7, 2012 1:16:03 PM

Router and wireless adapter are going to the same thing. The Router is your wireless signal so you can't separate the two.

Need to list exactly where the issue happens. Are you having issues even connecting to your wireless signal or can connect but get no internet?

You can configure the wireless from the computer already connected using the cord, just put in the Router's IP, go to the config page for wifi and change what you need, can reset the password there. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38111-43-find-change-...

If you can't figure out how to connect to the router, contact whoever set it up for you, probably your ISP.
m
l
!