Status
Not open for further replies.

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I have an Asus p8p67 pro, with a 2500k,

I just overclocked it by changing the turbo ratio to 45x, disabled PLL overvoltage, set voltage to 1.36 manually, and put LLC to Ultra High. The max temperature I got was 60 degrees on prime 95, so I'm not worried about that.

I am just wondering if my settings are alright in the long run, I want this computer to last.

Also instead of manually setting the voltage (which causes it to ALWAYS be at 1.36 even at idle) should I use the auto setting so that it goes down while idling? The reason why I kept manual voltage for now is that even though on idle it reads 1.36 volts on hwmonitor, the temperatures are as low as before for idle, so I am guessing the current running through the CPU is low. Is it current or voltage that reduces CPU lifespan?

Solution
1.36 isn't any damage. You wouldn't need to worry.

If you really don't want to have 1.36v going through it at all time, try overclocking using Offset mode.

What i do is, find the max stable overclock with manual, then switch it to Offset mode and keep the Intel Speed Step on. It will take you some time to get used to offset mode, but it is fairy easy.

Bad thing about it is, you can't really set a fixed voltage. You'll have to start at +0.030V and to down (example: +0.025V, then 0.020V) until it's around 1.36V on prime 95 stress test showing in CPU-Z.

What you might encounter however is... for example

You stabilize the overclock @ 1.36v on 4500Mhz. Then you try something like offset +0.020V that gets you 1.38V, but you want 1.36V...

trihedral

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
1.36 isn't any damage. You wouldn't need to worry.

If you really don't want to have 1.36v going through it at all time, try overclocking using Offset mode.

What i do is, find the max stable overclock with manual, then switch it to Offset mode and keep the Intel Speed Step on. It will take you some time to get used to offset mode, but it is fairy easy.

Bad thing about it is, you can't really set a fixed voltage. You'll have to start at +0.030V and to down (example: +0.025V, then 0.020V) until it's around 1.36V on prime 95 stress test showing in CPU-Z.

What you might encounter however is... for example

You stabilize the overclock @ 1.36v on 4500Mhz. Then you try something like offset +0.020V that gets you 1.38V, but you want 1.36V, you try going down by 5 more, which is +0.015V, but with that it might get you lower than 1.36V, (example: 1.32V), then the system won't boot.

I had my system stable @ 1.42v on 4800mhz, went to offset mode, the lowest one that didn't crash my system was 1.43v, so i stayed there since then.

.01V higher only during intensive cpu use is a lot better than having .4V continuous current at all times.

-Tim

Solution

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
perfect answer thanks bro, Yea I'm just going to have to tweak around with that damn offset mode. I wish there were two voltages you can add manually, one for turbo and one for idle...
anyways thanks for the help.

Another thing is that online I read that voltage isn't what ages your processor, but it's the current running through it. So this means that at stock even though it would be 1.3v+ running at 1.6ghz, the voltage wouldnt be damaging the ipod - evidence for this is that in idle regardless if I use manual voltage or auto (~1.02v) the temperatures are the same.

I'm not entirely sure though

trihedral

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
The voltage is the current that runs through the CPU.

From that voltage, the higher it is, the more heat it produces will degrade the silicone material inside of the CPU.

Thus people use offset mode so it doesn't have continuous current when not needed. The Frequency, in this case, 1600mhz will keep it from producing more heat, but if the voltage is still set manual (1.3V instead of the standard 0.9V-1.1V), there still still be degradation.

trihedral

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
It is known that high temperature and high current (density) have adverse effect on chip behavior due to electromigration, could lead to complete chip failure (not just performance degradation per se). Electromigration may increase the resistance of metal wires and contacts inside a chip (max overclocking degradation before functional failure), and may even lead to open connections and resulted in complete chip failure.

You'd have to research it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.