CPU cost to GPU cost Ratio - What should it be?

adamkavon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
So, I'm in the market for a new computer, but I'm on a pretty strict budget. I want the entire thing to come in under $900 (including monitor) and I've allotted around $400 for CPU and GPU. I have another "productivity" machine, so this would be PURELY for gaming. Most of that gaming will be World of Warcraft. Thus, my question:

How much more should I spend on the GPU over CPU? Or should they be equal?

CPU = GPU ---- For example, if I get the Core i5 750 ($200) then I'd be looking at the HD 4890 ($200).
CPU < GPU ---- If I get a Phenom II X4 940 ($160) then I could get the HD 4850 x2 ($230).
CPU << GPU -- I mean, it's even possible for me to go into $100 CPU-range (Athlon X4 620 or Phenom X2 555) and get an HD 5850 ($300).

I want there to be NO bottleneck. I don't want a CPU that is wasting power because the GPU can't process graphics. And I don't want a GPU that is being CPU-limited. Suggestions?

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

Read this

adamkavon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I've read that, in fact, it's what gave me the idea for this post. But there are no hard suggestions in there. It's all like "if this and this happen, then this." I'm hoping for a general rule of thumb. Or personal experiences.

A lot of it is a matter of personal experience, what you intend in doing, and how long you expect your computer to last you. For example, I know I tend to upgrade a GPU at least once in the life of whatever PC I build for myself. So I weight the choice a little more heavily towards CPU than I might otherwise because I want the proccy to be up to the *next* generation graphics rather than what is available today. i.e. my current box started with a Q6600 and an 8800GTX. Still using the Q, but now with a 4870X2. Remember that it's simple to upgrade a graphics card, while changing the processor involves tearing pretty much the whole computer apart.

...though to be honest, I think the concept of a Bottleneck (while certainly valid) is stressed overly much at times. Yeah, it's something you should consider. But not so critical that you have to spend a lot of cycles making it the central point of your build. Pick solid components, from reputable makers, weighting towards the best you can afford at the time of your build - and it's hard to go too wrong.

adamkavon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Scotteq, thank you. In the past I've always bought the highest-end components and have had computers last for 4+ years just fine. Heck, I remember paying $500 for a GeForce 3 back in the day... but right now I'm a grad student and don't have much disposable income. The price/performance ratio seems to be much better at the low- to mid-end and that's what I can afford.

I fully expect to replace the computer in a few years, so upgrading components isn't a priority (I'm not even looking at SLI/Crossfire boards, for example). Something to get good framerates at 1080p in most games, but especially WoW.

Anyone else?

Specifically for WOW - The Graphics aren't challenging to render, and as long as you keep shadows turned down nearly any decent GPU can run it at good resolutions (16x10, etc) with ease. Relatively speaking, WOW is harder on your processor and especially your memory then it is on graphics. A year from now, Blizzard are blowing up and replacing the original game world with a new one, so I would anticipate a fairly substantial graphics update then. But for now, you'd want to make sure you have plenty of RAM, a good processor and a good but not necessarily great graphics card.

Might help your decision making since that game looms large in your future.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

If your on a tight budget, I'd build around a strong motherboard that has good longevity to it (check sockets and CPU roadmaps).

Then, when/if money becomes available later, you can do incremental upgrades relatively easily.

But for a rule of thumb, I would look to spend more on a GPU than CPU.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Ahh, only noticing this now

You need to read here: http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php

How near are you to starting to writing up (and how near are you to end of grant?)? If your within 6 months of the former or 18 months of the latter, put all thoughts of WoW out of your head!!!