Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I keep seeing bits and pieces of this, but I can never seem to get the whole story. As I understand it, the CPU doesn't make full contact with the socket causing more electricity to go through less pins. I've seen some horror stories about the results. I have a Foxconn Socket. Should I be worried? How likely is it that I'll have one of those bad reactions? Is there anything that I can do about it?

Solution

Put it in, lock it, take it out and the scuffs should be there. If all the pads have the scuffs then you're in the clear as the level of contact won't change over time...

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Do you Overclock?

If you overclock you should be worried. I would RMA my motherboard if I were you (demanding a different socket).

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
If you overclock you should be worried.
I do plan to overclock my 860 to 3.6Ghz and go towards 4Ghz when applications start needing it.
If your temps are not high, you're probably fine.
Is the only problem that it causes higher temperatures? Or is there internal damage from the electricity?
I would RMA my motherboard if I were you (demanding a different socket).
Do warranties cover this sort of damage? Should I wait until there is actual damage before I RMA the board? Is the damage done to the processor or motherboard?

I just bought this motherboard on Newegg. If this is such a big problem, should they stop selling them or have a recall or something?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

It has nothing to do with temperatures.

It has to do with the level of current passing from the pins on the socket to the pads on the CPU. When there are less of these pads making contact, more current passes through the pads that are making contact (more current then they're designed to handle). This causes damage to both the socket and the CPU.

If you wait for the damage to occur, only the motherboard will still be under warranty (not the CPU.. Intel will not cover this sort of damage).

I would RMA it and specifically demand a board without a Foxconn socket (I know eVGA, for example, have many socket 1156 boards without the Foxconn sockets)

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Is there anyway to repair this problem or replace the socket myself? The RMA process may take weeks, and I need the computer on a daily basis.

Perhaps there is a way to check how well the cpu is making contact? Not all Foxconn sockets have this problem, right? I can't imagine that they would keep selling these boards with this kind of problem.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Yes there is a way to check the contact.

Remove the CPU and look at the pads. If each pad has a scuff on it (a mark or scratch from where the pins touched it) then you're good. If some of them have no scuff or marks I would RMA the board.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Yes there is a way to check the contact.

Remove the CPU and look at the pads. If each pad has a scuff on it (a mark or scratch from where the pins touched it) then you're good. If some of them have no scuff or marks I would RMA the board.
How long do I need to let it make contact? Can I just lock it in, immediately unlock it, and check? Or do do I need to actually run the computer for a certain amount of time? (I haven't actually installed it yet.)

If all of the pads have a scuff mark, do you think I'm in the clear. Or could that change over time?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Put it in, lock it, take it out and the scuffs should be there. If all the pads have the scuffs then you're in the clear as the level of contact won't change over time provided you don't remove and insert your CPU from it's socket too often.

Solution

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Put it in, lock it, take it out and the scuffs should be there. If all the pads have the scuffs then you're in the clear as the level of contact won't change over time provided you don't remove and insert your CPU from it's socket too often.
Thank you for your help. That is exactly what I needed know.

Is there a list of manufacturers that don't use the foxconn sockets? ElMoisEviL mentioned many of the EVGA boards are one but any others?
ChunkyMonster's links have some info. I also discovered that you can zoom in to the picture of the motherboard on Newegg to clearly see whether it says Foxconn or not.