Sign in with
Your question

Grounding yourself, antistatic mat?

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2009 11:54:14 PM

So instead of using an antistatic wristband, can you just use a mat? The mat has a wristband attacked to it so thats what im thinking. Any recommended brand for mat/wristband?
August 26, 2009 12:10:35 AM

I don't use either. I just make sure to touch the metal case to discharge any static. Never had any problems.
August 26, 2009 1:22:44 AM

yeah i thought about that, just wanna be extra safe x.x, dont want it turning out one part fails bringing other parts down with it
Related resources
August 26, 2009 1:27:59 AM

If you are reasonably careful, you should be fine. Remember to ground yourself to a metal, unpainted part of your case before touching a part, also, use common sense, don't touch any connectors or pins, or any chips, etc, don't move much, you should be ok. This coming from an Apple certified tech:) .
August 26, 2009 1:33:18 AM

At some point, I'll get a mat, just for the sake of having one.

Besides mats and wrist straps, there are anti-static gloves out there. Though, I haven't used gloves work on a system.
August 26, 2009 1:57:28 AM

I think that whole thing is a bit over stated. Don't build on carpet and slide everything around, but other than that, I think you don't need to worry much about it.
August 26, 2009 2:05:24 AM

Agreed, but if concerned, a cheap anti static wrist strap would not hurt.
August 26, 2009 5:33:44 AM

problem is i dunno where to attach the anti static wrist strap, and im using an antec 1200, the whole case is painted black...i think, either that or the metals black
August 26, 2009 5:41:01 AM

Anywhere there is an unpainted surface. Usually inside, the hard drive cages are not painted. Might be a good place to clip on.
August 26, 2009 5:41:48 AM

thats the thing...everythings painted lol, hence why i chose it ;]
August 26, 2009 5:55:00 AM

The other trick, if you have a long screw that will fit one of the hard drive cages or anywhere on the case, put that part of the way in, then you can cip onto that I guess. Better than nothing. But mostly, just use common sense, touch the case as you work, don't handle parts by pins or connectors or any chips, and you should be fine. Just make sure you are in one area have a table to work on, keep things in or on top of anti static bags as much as possible, etc. You should be fine.
August 26, 2009 6:03:57 AM

I use a mat by my PC desk.

Not because I am worried about static, but because I have hardwood floors in my apartment. Therefore, the mat helps protect the floor while I slide the chair around.
August 26, 2009 6:25:14 AM

I bought my first pc back in 1984. Back then antistatic mats, wrist bands, and even antistatic mouse pads were a big deal. The antistatic mat had a wire that was attached to one of the screws on an electrical wall outlet.

I live in Arizona now. Between the ridiculously low humidity and nylon carpeting static electricity can be a real problem during the Winter. Kissing one of my girlfriends can be a shocking experience.

I assemble pc's on a kitchen counter. The countertop is formica and the kitchen floor is tile. That seems to alleviate or at least lessen the problem.

Last year I did a case mod and painted the interior all black. I completely forgot about static electricity. Luckily nothing happened.
August 26, 2009 8:49:33 AM

I haven't used either since i got out of school. Touch something metal (computer case, doorknob, lamp,..) before you start and every now and then as you go.
August 26, 2009 12:08:28 PM

Hey hey, just touching metal is not neccesarily enough.
Tough something that is grounded and you should be fine, though.
December 18, 2011 7:36:24 AM

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to add something for the Googlers out there.

The reason why simply touching the computer your working on works just fine is because all an antistatic wristband does is create a direct connection between you and the computer, equalizing your electric potential. When your potentials are equal, no electrons can pass (this is why birds can sit on a phone line) so there is no risk of shock (with a constant direct connection, very little risk with an intermittent connection). By simply touching the bare metal of the computer that you are working on periodically (while avoiding moving your feet around) you will be able to keep your charge in equilibrium with that of the computer.

Many people connect their mats to the ground of the house, this serves to draw the current from your body towards the ground (which has a lower potential than your body, AND the computer) which also proves effective. However, this theoretically have a lower potential than the computer and therefore the computer can transfer energy TO you through a static discharge. As long as you don't leave it plugged in and clear the remaining power by holding the power button for a few seconds before digging in you should be fine though.
December 18, 2011 8:27:26 AM

This is useful information you posted. Thank you!
!