Sign in with
Your question

I am getting new CPU for Christmas...I'm confused!

Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2009 7:59:33 PM

Alright so lets get right to it then, shall we?

I'm going to be getting this CPU for Christmas.
http://wheretobuy.amd.com/us-en/prodinfo/30000875.html?...

I current have an AMD 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4400+

if it helps, heres a bunch of system information that includes what motherboard i have.

Processor-
2.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

System Model -
Acer Aspire E380 R01-B1
System Serial Number: PTS550X029706080152703
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board-
Board: Acer EM61SM/EM61PM
Bus Clock: 201 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD R01-B1 12/29/2006

My current processor is socket type AM2: http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?op...

The new one is type AM3: http://wheretobuy.amd.com/us-en/prodinfo/1232148.html?p...

According to this article, if you have an AM2 motherboard (which I must...since im using an AM2 processor) you can use an AM3 processor since it is backwards compatible. http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/01/quick-remi...

Ok so first of all, can someone confirm that the new processor IS FOR SURE compatible with my current motherboard?

Second of all, im pretty sure that I have to do a "BIOS Flash". I have found the newest bios (I think) for my computer here: http://gd.panam.acer.com/home/

Go to desktop>aspire>e380. There is a tab for BIOS. Is this the newest one? Am I supposed to download that and install it somehow? How do I install it?
Most importantly, lets say I just download that in advance, lets say today, will I be able to use my computer WITHOUT the new processor installed? By flashing the BIOS, does that make your computer un-usable until you get a new processor?

Ok, and once I flash it, am I good to install the new processor? I need to use that thermal compound stuff right?

Is it as easy as just putting the new processor in, turning on your computer, and it will work?

sorry that was really long but thank you!

*by the way, with that acer website, it asked me to select my region. There was no United states option, the closest thign to united states was "Pan America" so that was what i selected. not sure if that matters.

More about : cpu christmas confused

a b à CPUs
November 17, 2009 8:05:07 PM

I'm sorry to say but the motherboard in that system will not support an AM3 processor (even with their latest bios which is dated sometime in 2007).

You will also need a new motherboard.
m
l
November 17, 2009 8:06:10 PM

how do you know this though? That website says it should be compatable?
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2009 8:07:44 PM

a quick google search of my motherboard brought me to a tigerdirect website which lists the motherboard as using an AM2 interface.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2009 8:17:52 PM

kingneptune117 said:
a quick google search of my motherboard brought me to a tigerdirect website which lists the motherboard as using an AM2 interface.

Yes it's an AM2 board.

It's not AM2+ or AM3 Processor compatible.

Only a few AM2 boards work with AM2+ processors (much less AM3).
m
l
November 17, 2009 8:33:01 PM

ElMo is correct.
But you can get an Athlon II X4 620 and a Mobo for the same price as the 965
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2009 9:03:45 PM

I'd wait till February

cause price are going to hick during holyday and Boxing day usually a bunch of lies....

got nice price cuts last year on GPU and lower end CPU's

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2009 9:07:38 PM

kingneptune117 said:
yes but look

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/01/quick-remi...

it says that they ARE compatible with AM2 boards.

It even uses my exact processor as an example in the article. It says the Phenom II should be a pop-in replacement for the Athlon II

That was a badly written article. It is not as black and white.

With AMD cpus's some boads can only handle AMD processors up to something like 95W anything above that won't work properly.

Also the article does not take a bios update into consideration (something which your motherboard has not had since 2007).

In the end, far too many AM2 boards remain incompatible with AM2+/AM3 CPUs (yours being one of them).
m
l
November 17, 2009 9:27:57 PM

Even if the processor was physically "compatible," your hypertransport link is much too slow for any AM3 cpu.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2009 9:46:25 PM

dude, if you don't believe Elmo then just go and buy it and see what (doesn't) happen.

"Phenom II should be a pop-in replacement for the Athlon II" but you don't have an Athlon II, do you.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
November 17, 2009 9:46:41 PM

Although AM3 processors are physically compatible with AM2 motherboards, most AM2 motherboards don't offer BIOS support for AM2+ or AM3 processors. There are also a number of AM2+ motherboards, that due to lack of a BIOS update, cannot use AM3 processors. AMD made the processors socket compatible, but it is still up to the motherboard manufacturer to release a new BIOS for software compatibility.
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
November 17, 2009 10:55:25 PM

From what I know, AM3 is compatible with AM2+. You don't have AM2+, you have AM2.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2009 1:58:39 PM

@OP
Dude, trust the crowd!
m
l
November 18, 2009 3:23:58 PM

Or don't.
Buy it, and when it doesn't work please make sure to drop by to tell you:

WE TOLD YOU!!!! :lol: 
m
l
November 19, 2009 1:10:03 AM

hahaha sorry guys im an idiot... I have an athlon X2 not II.

Anyways I decided to get a new ASUS motherboard for a little over one hundo as well as this graphics card.

Im actually glad. I dont want to keep my piece of crap motherboard. I already got the new graphics card as well so i might as well just go upgrade the three main components.
m
l
February 15, 2010 5:23:51 PM

Is anyone still in this topic? @Topic Starter, What kind of Asus motherboard did you get? I also have a acer e380 but i don't know which mobo would fit. Please reply. Thanks
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
February 15, 2010 6:17:01 PM

At least you bought all the parts you needed, good call on getting the mobo as well.
m
l
!