Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fans+Fan controller advice

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 78 K Overclocking
October 30, 2011 5:00:51 PM

hey there everyone!

initially i was lethargic to post a thread but i'm following up on Rubix's advise to get the whole forum behind me on my new pseudo "2nd" watercooling endeavor.

this loop is for Rig 1 in member config, will cool NB as well using the Fusion block.
here's how it looks;

the last two things (if it is two things) are:
1| fans and a
2| fan contoller

from most websites/threads the AQUACOMPUTER Airplex Modularity System Radiator has a fin density of 7 FPI : here

I am very discrete about noise as i like a quiet system...even when gaming. The silver lining for me, in my setup, should be to get a good temp drop without sacrificing silence.

Been reading on some German users that this rad is good with either a push or pull scenario.

so there you have it.

Purchase date: ASAP
Budget: will pay a ridiculous amount (ONLY) if its worth it
Preference's: Nosiblockers, Noctua, Scythe or any thing you folks would advise :sol: 
Purchasing site's: if the prices are cheaper in places other than Frozencpu than ofcourse lemme have it...though the aquacomputers are the cheapest on frozencpu.

If any of you people are wondering why i named this my pseudo 2nd wc setup here's what i have now in my rig.

N.B:
1| I have a total of 8 fan headers on my board so i can control them via bios for a silent setup
2| I have a set of noctua's on my mod but i want to rule out my experience cos maybe it was the whole H50 thas flawed after doing that mod. Although the fans are dead silent...you get my point, right?

Thanks for taking the time!
November 1, 2011 12:55:28 AM

I personally like Scythe GT's and Yate Loons. How will your radiator be mounted? Vertically (Up and down) or Horizontally (Left and Right)?
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 5:14:57 AM

looking to mount my rad externally on the back - vertically - like this:

The max i can mount inside my case up top is a 240rad

come to think of it, i'd also want to pick up some spacers for the rad when I'll be mounting at the back , so tips needed :) 

had some inspiration to mount rad on the sidepanel door:

on the fan mount...any thoughts?
Score
Related resources
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 12:37:14 PM

Not sure you want to mount a rad on the door panel- how are you going to remove the case door to get in there and do anything? Are you planning on just running extra tubing? Not a fan of this, but would allow you to remove the side panel. Most people mount them on the back panel of their case, if they are mounting on the side.
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 12:51:20 PM

The most fun about water cooling is the hobbyist mentality of it. I don't watercool to improve my computer's performance- I use computers simply to be able to watercool. (Or something to that effect) :) 
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 1:11:09 PM

It's hard to explain, but that is the basis of it...I am a performance freak, but it does kind of take a back seat to watercooling. Something about it...just seems like your PC is almost 'alive'. It's fascinating to look at it and think about how all that heat is being moved and then removed from the system the way it is.
Score
November 1, 2011 1:21:15 PM

Not necessarily. Run on distilled water and if any leaks occur, just shut down your system, let it dry for a day or two, and you'll be fine.

If your going to run a radiator vertically, I recommend some Yate Loons. Scythe GTs perform better, but they are expensive. Yate Loons will give you a similar amount of performance.
Score
November 1, 2011 1:25:03 PM

Thats the worst case scenario, but hopefully your Power Supply will stop giving power to it and shut down your components.

And totally distilled water (No bits of particles or anything) isn't very conductive, so that'll give you time.
Score
November 1, 2011 1:44:58 PM

If you have the budget and experience, buy your own custom waterloop.

If not, buy a kit, like some of the XSPC Rasa kits. Great price for great performance.
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 1:50:55 PM

You shouldn't have leaks if you take your time, leak test and don't cut corners. It's pretty rare, but has happened to me once. I killed a video card a few years ago because I had a piece of tubing twist a barb loose when installing and didn't take my time. Luckily, EVGA replaced it without issue. Even distilled can become conductive fairly quickly since it is in contact with copper and brass from your loop. But again, making sure everything is installed well from the beginning goes a very long way.

As for kits to look into- XSPC Rasa kits and Swiftech Edge and Drive kits. EK has some as well, but I'm not as fond with some of their pumps they choose. I think they offer 2 versions of their kits, and one has a good Jingway pump, the other has the 'not as good' version.
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 2:07:15 PM

Now- back to the topic at hand...fan controllers...
Score
November 1, 2011 2:16:13 PM

Lamptron FC4?
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 2:25:48 PM

^Yeah, that's one of the better ones. It will handle higher-end fans drawing more power per channel, or if you run lower wattage fans, you could run 2x per channel. A lot of the hardcore fan guys like this one, since it has the potential to handle monster fans without burning out. When it comes to fans and fan controllers, 'pretty' isn't necessarily what you want when it comes to performance.
Score
November 1, 2011 3:01:01 PM

Great fan controller, but at one pretty penny though. 30~ USD
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 4:10:19 PM

Quote:
interesting, just shut it down and let it dry.
but what's stopping it from just shorting out immediately.?

have you ever had a cell phone get doused in water when you forgot to bring a raincoat/umbrella ... ? it happened to me once/twice and all i did was shut it down and left near my stove/heater. After it dried off, i turned it back on and voila - it worked. Operating an electronic device in humid/water conditions will cause the "short" even when a cell phone works after getting wet - you can cause a short just by pressing buttons. I also had some occasional spills with the H50 mod on my rig. Just shut down - and let it dry.

So mal - you need not worry about spills. You don't need to write all this down - just bookmark or flag this thread :) 

For anyone else trying to follow on the Aquacomputer rads review/info. I contacted Shoggy(a rep from Aquacomputer) over @ xtremesystems.

this is his reply:
Quote:
Re: aquacomputer rads
Hello Lutfi,

so far there are no reviews available...

kind regards
Sven

+ 5 to the kits mentioned :)  i would'ev gone that route but it just the built quality of that rad - :lol:  i'd have melted seeing the rads in "brushed anodized black". Might actually do it here at a workshop ... :) 

Quote:
When it comes to fans and fan controllers, 'pretty' isn't necessarily what you want when it comes to performance.
i'm on the lamptron boat but should i be concerned with whether the controller has a display...like the FC-6 and FC-5 V2. what about the FC-8?

I'd like my system to be like a ninja - not Fatal1ty though :pfff: 

this thread has already come to life :D  - :wahoo: 

* @ rubix - i'll go back to my initial idea of mounting rad on the back vertically after i realized some people were complaining about having the panel door weigh ALOT.

What fans should i go for then? so if i went with the GT route - should i be looking at any other brands like the one's i mentioned in first post?What RPM fans should i pick up - get highest and then use controller to get lower rpm's?
Score
November 1, 2011 4:32:34 PM

For a "silent" WC build, get low RPM fans which move tons of air (CFM)

Yate Loons or GTs. (I am heavily biased towards these since they work amazing!)
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 4:36:17 PM

then could you unbias yourself :)  ?

@ mal - why not have the kit run on your revived evga build?
Score
November 1, 2011 4:41:31 PM

That's impossible. ;) 

I'll go look at more fans for you, been hearing good things from AP-18's.
Score
November 1, 2011 4:45:10 PM

Quote:
my birthday tomorrow and I might just get myself a kit....
(apply it to my son's unit first....;))

Just get a swiftech drive rad with a the pump built in and a XSPC Raystorm waterblock.
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 4:48:27 PM

I've played against Fatal1ty at a local LAN here in Kansas City (where he is from). He's pretty damn good, but this was like 8-9 years ago and UT2003 was just out. He said he was getting boxes and boxes of stuff from nVidia and Intel for him to test out and 'approve'. Nice guy, he's just a little younger than I am by 2-3 years, I believe. However- I wouldn't buy any of his stuff just because his name is on it.

For fans and a fan controller, you have the benefit of getting the fans you want and running them at the speeds you want. So, it all really depends on how much you want to spend on fans overall.

Good call on mounting the rad on the back. Are you going to use stand-offs or a Radbox or similar mount?

Quote:
Homeboy2 wrote :

Just get a swiftech drive rad with a the pump built in and a XSPC Raystorm waterblock.

Quote:

that's like rocket science what you just typed....
no idea.
swooosh, the breeze just went over my head.

Swiftech Drive unit w/220 rad
Raystorm CPU block
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 4:49:21 PM

mal - just follow up on these threads on the WC section and you'll learn from lurking - that way lil mal might not have a grudge on big mal for stoning his fav rig.

WC, QDC's Blocks...they'll catch onto you soon enough.

@ hoemboy - hows your WC build coming along?

Edit;
@ rubix - didn't notice your post. I was looking at this rad box

was also looking at the XSPC standoffs... :/  choices...

about fans - will spend the extra if needed.
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 5:00:33 PM

You can make your own stand offs using longer screws (usually M4 of appropriate length) and some small PVC tubing or even bushings from your local hardware store. Saves you a bundle this way. (I went the route of screws+cutting narrow PVC tubing on my external mounts)
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 5:09:31 PM

okay - i suppose i could go that route...the screw threading on the rad are M3
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 5:21:57 PM

If M3, just make sure they are long enough for your application. It's all preference- I like doing this kind of stuff myself because I can modify what I want to the application and end result I am looking for. (Kind of why I'm building my own test bench how I want, instead of buying one for ~$200...)
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 5:30:07 PM

^ + 1000

i see your going headstrong with the benching :)  hats off mate and happy benching.
i know of a guy like conumdrum who made his own test bench+watercooling DIY setup with two loops since he'd be testing lots of GPU's and CPU's.

* i also looked at the Triebwerks 123 - but after seeing that they were 65 dBa max - i said @%@$@ no!
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 5:53:03 PM

Conumdrum used to be a regular around here, but he got kind of tired with so many new folks showing up and then leaving so soon. He knows a lot of stuff...smart dude, but a little abrasive in the personality department at times. He and I went back and forth on stuff several times, but most of the times we agreed...he just has little patience for people not reading stickies and learning stuff on their own.

I'm looking at building a test bench just because I love how they look as well as being able to swap parts if I wanted. However, I also am considering building a bench to run just water components only and utilize a constant heat source instead of a CPU or GPU...this would provide more consistent results if you wanted to test the radiator capacity of 'X' component producing 'Y' amount of heat in watts.
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 6:19:25 PM

+ 1 with conumdrum - i ran into him a few times here when i was new.

The test bench idea you have is a really smart idea on testing rads :)  haven't com across anyone who'd have done the same thing. Brilliant , this forum needs people like you :sol: 

how do these look?
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 6:51:38 PM

52cfm @ 1000 rpm is pretty decent. If you are using these, would you even need a fan controller at 18db? For $10-$11, you also could go with some 1800rpm/70+cfm blowers and dial them down via controller; some of the guys around here like the Xigmatek's for about that cost...one has orange blades- the other, black.
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 7:04:56 PM

scratch the bitfenix fans - will look into the high cfm fans and i'll be looking some more :) 

thanks for the insight!
Score
November 1, 2011 7:15:42 PM

What about some Sans Aces and Deltas?
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 7:34:55 PM

^ been reading those on some threads - they are noisy solutions. though i am curious whats undervolting or overvolting :o  ... ?
Score
November 1, 2011 7:40:08 PM

@ hoemboy - hows your WC build coming along?

Already put together Swiftech Drive triple rad with a 35x pump built in. XSPC Raystorm WB. Rad mounted on the back. Debating on what rad I'm gonna use for expansion for when I get my new vid card/s. May get another pump for redundancy.
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 7:47:31 PM

Lutfij- no need to volt mod fans if you are running a controller...kind of takes the place of those needs. Just dial them down or back up to 100%...

Quote:
Already put together Swiftech Drive triple rad with a 35x pump built in. XSPC Raystorm WB. Rad mounted on the back. Debating on what rad I'm gonna use for expansion for when I get my new vid card/s. May get another pump for redundancy.

Shouldn't need another pump in a standard loop like that, esp with the 35x. Adding another block and rad should be a cakewalk...GPU blocks are pretty good flowing, and rads are the best-flowing components in a loop.
Score
November 1, 2011 7:53:14 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Lutfij- no need to volt mod fans if you are running a controller...kind of takes the place of those needs. Just dial them down or back up to 100%...

Quote:

Shouldn't need another pump in a standard loop like that, esp with the 35x. Adding another block and rad should be a cakewalk...GPU blocks are pretty good flowing, and rads are the best-flowing components in a loop.

Rubixx, I didn't need the bored and stroked 383 I just dropped in my 68 Chevelle either! :lol: 

Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 7:56:24 PM

:D  We didn't need the 508 cu big block we had in our 18 foot drag boat when I was a kid, either. But it sure went like a bat out of hell...and then some. Pistons were the size of dessert plates and the heads on that monster weighed a ton. 110mph on a lake is enough to make your butt cinch up and grab the vinyl seats.
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:01:33 PM

:lol:  i get that you guys like to overdo things :p 
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:07:37 PM

Absolutely not- where would you get such an absurd idea? :) 
Score
November 1, 2011 8:11:24 PM

Lutfij said:
:lol:  i get that you guys like to overdo things :p 

Daddy always said "If a job is worth doing, it worth overdoing". :bounce: 
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:13:22 PM

^ wasn't that you who said it on your WC thread ?
Score
November 1, 2011 8:16:16 PM

Lutfij said:
^ wasn't that you who said it on your WC thread ?

I learned well, didn't I?

Oh yeh, Rubixx, remind me NOT to hire you as a salesman for my new watercooling equipment store I'm opening! :non:  :lol: 
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:19:45 PM

^That's some good stuff...specs look pretty solid.
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:22:43 PM

rubix bro - hate to break it to ya but i've been reading that the silenx have horrible static pressure esp when using in a rad...back to the drawing board

* going to change the scheme on my case as well - with white LED fans.

picking up these as well;
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12877/fan-850/BitFeni... front
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12878/fan-851/BitFeni... up top since i'll have rad mounted outside
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12876/fan-849/BitFeni... rear exhaust inside case

yet to find some for the rad.

** just realized i reached addict status ... :) 
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:27:02 PM

What did that have in comparison for static pressure? It could be- we often tell people don't always look at CFM...static pressure is more important, but harder to find with most fan listings.
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:28:18 PM

pulled off of the review tab on frozencpu -
Quote:
Writing this review from the UK! Rather then writing a review, thought I would share a video of the fan in action, the only other thing running is my PSU. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmyL3SoYtag These fans are as quiet as Silenx make them out to be, I''ve no way to test the actual CFM but the fan performs as well as a 89cfm xigmatek. bare in mind the fans seem to have low static pressure, I would not use them as push fans on a rad.

Quote:
don't always look at CFM...static pressure is more important, but harder to find with most fan listings.
hmmm thanks for reminding me
Score
November 1, 2011 8:30:00 PM

Lutfij said:
pulled off of the review tab on frozencpu -
Quote:
Writing this review from the UK! Rather then writing a review, thought I would share a video of the fan in action, the only other thing running is my PSU. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmyL3SoYtag These fans are as quiet as Silenx make them out to be, I''ve no way to test the actual CFM but the fan performs as well as a 89cfm xigmatek. bare in mind the fans seem to have low static pressure, I would not use them as push fans on a rad.

These are your best bet in my "expert" opinion

http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-Gentle-Typhoon-D1225C12B...
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:32:07 PM

^AP-15's are one of the fans of choice for WC'ing.
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:40:59 PM

AP-15's > Sickleflow's but only based on performance. Sickleflow's are used a lot and good for the price. Not sure how many different models there are, but solid fans for a good price.
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
November 1, 2011 8:46:00 PM

i'll stick with the sickles for now...until my research shows they are whack :p 

still thinking about the fan controllers...I'm into the finish and build quality of a product - has to be perty and functional at the same time.

lamptron - :wahoo:  but which one?
FC-4 black
FC-5 V2 black will change display color to white
FC-6 black bushed alu
FC-8 black

...thoughts?
Score
!