I think my hard drive is dying

olibattman

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello, i have been reading this forum for a long time and it has helped me with a lot of problems but i've got one a bit more specific this time.

first off my machines specs
Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium D 930
Presler 65nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-11)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0FJ030 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
DELL E196FP (1280x1024@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce 8600 GT (XFX Pine Group) 54 °C
Hard Drives
244GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JS-75NCB2 (SATA) 47 °C
244GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JS-75NCB2 (SATA) 44 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J
Audio
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

I have had this computer for 6 years and apart from upgrading the graphics card from a 7300 and the cd drive because the original broke its all the same since i got it.

anyway, last night i shut my computer down, everything is normal, this morning i turn it on, and as soon as i typed my password in and hit enter i got the BSOD. after trying again and again i booted into safe mode where i found many DCOM and iastor and disk errors and warnings in the event viewer. i got frustrated and reinstalled XP reformatting my C drive but not my D drive (2nd drive that i use as storage) and this fixed the BSOD showing everytime i logged in. i think that the D drive has a problem. even now i am getting these errors, sometimes the errors seem to cause BSOD and sometimes they just make things hang, mainly files (mp3 files in itunes) from the D drive.

the iastor errors say:
The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

the DCOM errors say:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}

and the disk warnings say:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

i have performed a chkdsk but the results went off the screen before i could see them. if these are logged and someone could tell em where i can show you that too.

If someone could please tell me what all this means that would be awesome :)

also i have no idea what DCOM is, does it have anything to do with hard drive errors?

thank you :D

olibattman

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
right, looking closer at the disk errors i find there are 2
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
i assume harddisk0 is my C drive and harddisk1 is my D drive, the D afterwards is misleading and i have no idea what to make of this.

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
If you format your D drive it will wipe out all data that is on it. Yes hard disk 1 should be your d drive.

www.powerdatarecovery.com Try this to recover your files before you format D drive