Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 4GB vs 8GB Performance

Last response: in Memory
February 15, 2010 10:57:09 AM

Hello again at Tom,s I have W7s 64bit with 4gb of DDr3 and a Quad core processor everything is running nice and sort of fast.

How much of a overall performance increase would i see if any at all, when i add another 4gb of DDr3 ram ,totaling 8GB in all .

Thanks Jason. :) 

a b } Memory
February 15, 2010 11:53:32 AM

If you work with large spreadsheets or large files Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, or modeling software like AutoCAD or Maya, then you will notice a significant performance boost. Especially if you run a lot of applications at the same time. But if you are just gaming, browsing the Internet, or doing homework then you won't notice anything at all.
February 15, 2010 1:42:32 PM

OK thanks for your answer .This has help me and saved me money .THANK YOU .
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2010 4:18:00 PM

Remember, more RAM (I'm assuming all modules run at the same speed/timings) only speeds up processing by way of avoiding page faults. Unless you actually USE all of that RAM at a certain point, more of it will have no impact whatsoever.

Unless you do something like Adobe Photoshop, encoding, or whatnot, 4GB will still suffice. Really, 4GB is still consensus for non-Tri Channel based systems (where 6GB [2GB + 2GB + 2GB] is the most logical setup)
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2010 4:27:53 PM

Open task manager, go into performance section, Hit resource Monitor button...see what's used / not used.
!