Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Seeking i7 build advice - $1500-2000 budget, Need to purchase ASAP

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 26, 2009 2:57:02 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as possible, within a day or two if possible

BUDGET RANGE: ~$1500-2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Programming, Games, internet, general purpose

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Processor, friend grabbing a D0 stepping i7 from Microcenter for me

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, any other site considered reputable

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nvidia

OVERCLOCKING: Most likely yes, but not immediately

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Basically I am a programmer by trade and my latest project is requiring work done from home. My home laptop isn't cutting it on the current project, so I figured this would be a good time to build a high performance machine for both work and play. Due to timing issues with the project, I need to order the system ASAP, but I haven't built a system since the days when the Pentium III was the new, cool thing. Usually I would prefer to spend weeks researching everything myself, but my time constraints make that impossible now, so I would like some general advice. I'm basically overwhelmed by all the choices at the moment.

I am used to using a dual monitor set-up at work, so I'm also looking to get 2 decent/good monitors w/o totally breaking the bank (I'd also like the 1920x1080 or so resolution if possible). I'm not necessarily super picky and most of my work will be looking directly at the monitors, so I don't think the TN panel stuff I've been reading about will be a problem. I've been looking at 2x Dell S2409W (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/pr...) because they seem to have good reviews for a good price. Any other suggestions would be welcome though. I wouldn't include the monitors in the budget though.

I'm especially confused about disk drive choice. I see the WD Caviar Blacks recommended quite a bit, are they the default go-to option? Should I consider 2 of them for RAID 0 performance?

Other sticky parts for me are things like recommended case (I'd like one that doesn't need additional fans installed by me, etc.) and motherboard. I'd like the mobo to have at least 6 memory slots. I'd hate to order parts and run into an issue of them not fitting in the case or missing a minor part I need but overlooked because of my lack of mass research time.

For the GPU, again, a bit of confusion. Is a GTX275 sufficient? Is it worth trying to get 2 for SLI?

As for overclocking, back in the day that seemed to be the realm of the pros exclusively, but it seems like it's easier now, so I'd like to eventually try my hand at it after the project I'm working on is over. That said, I'd like to purchase parts that don't prevent me from OCing in the future.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Best solution

August 26, 2009 3:04:14 AM

$843 for this build, plenty of fans in the case already and the PSU will support 2 GTX275s in the future but one should be enough for now. Depending on the size of the programs you are working with you may want to pick up a second kit of ram. Either way you are well under budget, thanks to having picked up the i7 already.

6GB Gskill RAM $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

P6T/Vista $370
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

WD Caviar Black 1TB $95
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX GTX 275 $235
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec 900/TP-750 $185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Lite on DVD burner $28
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

edit: if you need a mouse and keyboard those are more personal preference as are the speakers, some people can get by with a $30 set of speakers, i cant, so pick a set that you like the looks of or just pick up a nice headset instead.
Share
August 26, 2009 3:15:49 AM

Hi,

I saw your post about the building the core i7 desktop, I just build one about 2 weeks ago, you can find my post on this forum if it's not deleted. Anyway, here is the components, I want to sell it, let me know if you are interested. That way you get a new desktop fast, saving a lot of hassle of building it up. I am not a scam and it's real. The reason is I need a macbook pro now :) 


1. Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel - $100 (Better than Antec 900, 1200, very nice air flow)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V - $165 (Simply the BEST PSU in the market, 80+ silver!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3. Mobo: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - $250 (High end, ASUS quality)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 - $280 (Best value in i7 series, and it is D0 stepping, sweet!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5. CPU cooler: Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - $37 (Read the review of this sweet cooler online)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6. Memory: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage - $125 (very nice timing and speed)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

7. CPU thermal paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - $9 (simple the best one)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8. Video card: MSI N275GTX TwinFrozr OC GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 - $220 (after rebate)(Read the review in tom's hardware, you will see why this high end card, super cool and quiet and powerful! any game in max more than smooth)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

9. Two same Hard drives: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB - $65x2 = $150 (High quality and speed)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

10. LCD: ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor - $150(after rebate) (best seller on newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

11. DVD burner: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA - $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

12. Keyboard: Logitech Deluxe 250 Black 104 Normal Keys USB - $13
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

13. Case fan controller: Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay Fan Controller - $40 (has beautiful LCD display of fan speeds and temperatures)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

14. some other accessories, including cable extensions, binders, and etc, worth about $15.

15. NO mouse: I will keep the mouse for laptop.

I have all the original package & boxes. The prices are all after the rebate. So do the math, add them all up, the vanilla total is: $1585. The shipping fee is about $100, so the total I paid is about $1685. And considering the labor I put in, and the beautiful cable management in the case, I think it is fair to ask for $1700. Cheap labor, right?

It is a very high end desktop for gaming or for whatever. It has the Window 7RC x64 installed. I can give you the install disk since you can't download it anymore after 20th Aug.

I still can't believe I have to sell it, damn.



Also I posted it on my local craigslist last night, here is a link:
http://austin.craigslist.org/sys/1340817024.html
m
0
l
Related resources
August 26, 2009 3:17:11 AM

^+1 hunter315...

I would add a HSF to your build... like the Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V or COGAGE True Spirit, which will allow you to OC down the road.
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 3:17:21 AM

Quote:
hunter315 wrote
$843 for this build, plenty of fans in the case already and the PSU will support 2 GTX275s in the future....


can't make better but would swab the XFX card for an eVGA and the Caviar Black for a Spinpoint F3

good luck

Regards.
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 3:23:28 AM

Ah, knew i was forgetting something, thanks tecmo, +1 on his heatsink choices, didnt even phase me.

Any reason for swapping the XFX for the eVGA?

Also do you know of somewhere to get a 1TB F3? I can only seem to find the 500GB one, yeah 2 of them would work but its easier and cheaper just to have a single disk.
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 3:38:07 AM

I just bought one about 3 weeks ago... somewhat what your looking for... Some same components mentioned already above.
Not gonna bother with links. I'm sure your capable of finding them on Newegg...(I bought it there)

Intel CoreI7 920 D0 revision (Most are D0 now)
Asus P6T mobo
OCZ 6gb platinum @ 1600 (Wish i got 12gb)
WD 500gb HD 7200 RPM
MSI Geforce GTX 275 OC 893GB
Antel True 650W
Asus 23.6" 2ms 1080HD
Sonly 48X CDRW
Case was already owned... an old 3Dcool full tower case.

All including tax and 3 day shipping came to just under 1500
Didn't need keyboard or mouse or headset.. Already have those.
You said 1500-2000... If i had the extra 500 I woulda spend it on 12gb ramb (+100) Geforce 295 (+250) and the WD VR 300gig 10.000 RPM. My build is plenty big enough for me... just wish i had the 12gb... I made some maps that i cant compile for games I play.. Uses all 6gb+ so i'll be buying another 6 soon.

You say you program... Might want more Ram
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 3:39:28 AM

well me too couldn't find a 1TB edition (at least at newegg) but comparing 2 spinpoint f3s equal 104USD vs 94USD Caviar Black.
also you would be able to run them in RAID 0 for even greater performance gain as if you're switching to the F3 you're most probably shooting for the highest performance gain (bearing in mind that i suggested them ;)  )

also don't forget the Tuniq TX-3 Thermal compound.

good luck though :D  .

EDIT: forgot about the card, ok let's see eVGA offers lifetime warranty, excellent active forums(obviously learned from tom's hardware ;)  ) and very gooooooooooodddd customer service.

regards :D  .
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 3:43:08 AM

sorry was a little late "@Dkenz"
regards
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 3:55:17 AM

Oh i didnt realize that eVGA offer the lifetime warranty too, good to know!

Only issue i have with RAID 0 is you double your risk for catastrophic data loss, its not an issue for some people but i keep work and school related stuff on my machines so i cant risk it, and while the price is close for 2 of the 500GB ones, i was really hoping you knew of somewhere that had 1TB F3s as they should cost significantly less than the caviar black as the majority of the drive would be the same.

Thanks for answering my questions though, always good to learn new things!
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 4:19:14 AM

hunter315 said:
Oh i didnt realize that eVGA offer the lifetime warranty too, good to know!

Only issue i have with RAID 0 is you double your risk for catastrophic data loss, its not an issue for some people but i keep work and school related stuff on my machines so i cant risk it, and while the price is close for 2 of the 500GB ones, i was really hoping you knew of somewhere that had 1TB F3s as they should cost significantly less than the caviar black as the majority of the drive would be the same.

Thanks for answering my questions though, always good to learn new things!


Any time :D  .
that's the way it goes students sometimes beats their teachers ;)  (14yr youngster vs ??yr veteran) and that's what forums is all about (sharing), always happy to help :D  .
also some other things:
1st eVGA doesn't offer lifetime warranty for all parts but if i recall correctly look for A1 at the end of the model number beside that eVGA also provides 1. eVGA StepUp program and exceptional quality and performance as they have been nVIDIA dedicated company for years even in their mobos (except the i7s')
2nd. i'll look for the 1TB F3 at amazon.com, tigerdirect.com etc...


Regards :D  .

sorry for long post and late time ;)  .

also would much appreciate it if you take a look at this Future $1400 Build general LOOOONG discussion.

EDIT: about the RAID0 prob with that budget you can get a good (NOT overpriced branded) RAID controller along with a nice mid-range 160GB Data Backup Drive or just wait till i finish my research for a 1TB Version of the F3.

Regards (AGAIN! :D  )

have a nice day :p  .
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 4:40:07 AM

i managed to find this though it's a canadian site it'll most probably ship to USA if there's any differences in the exchange rates, tax, tariffs or shipping that i forgot just PM me and i'll be happy to help
here's the link Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Retail

Regards (Again and again ;)  ).

EDIT: extremely sorry posted a wrong link and forgot the original site

but don't worry i'll keep searching.

have a nice day ;)  .
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 2:45:58 PM

Don't know if you purchased your parts yet, but I just did a little F3 1TB research, and I don't think anyone noted yet, but they are "scheduled" to ship by the end of August, so there are like 5 days left here, and no one has them for sale yet. Not sure if they will drop soon, but if you can't wait Hunter's suggestion should be fine.
m
0
l
October 6, 2009 2:04:26 PM

I'm interested in buying your build. Did you sell it yet. email me at inquire@wildblue.net if not. thanks. Han

yingwuzhao said:
Hi,

I saw your post about the building the core i7 desktop, I just build one about 2 weeks ago, you can find my post on this forum if it's not deleted. Anyway, here is the components, I want to sell it, let me know if you are interested. That way you get a new desktop fast, saving a lot of hassle of building it up. I am not a scam and it's real. The reason is I need a macbook pro now :) 


1. Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel - $100 (Better than Antec 900, 1200, very nice air flow)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V - $165 (Simply the BEST PSU in the market, 80+ silver!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3. Mobo: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - $250 (High end, ASUS quality)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 - $280 (Best value in i7 series, and it is D0 stepping, sweet!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5. CPU cooler: Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - $37 (Read the review of this sweet cooler online)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6. Memory: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage - $125 (very nice timing and speed)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

7. CPU thermal paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - $9 (simple the best one)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8. Video card: MSI N275GTX TwinFrozr OC GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 - $220 (after rebate)(Read the review in tom's hardware, you will see why this high end card, super cool and quiet and powerful! any game in max more than smooth)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

9. Two same Hard drives: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB - $65x2 = $150 (High quality and speed)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

10. LCD: ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor - $150(after rebate) (best seller on newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

11. DVD burner: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA - $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

12. Keyboard: Logitech Deluxe 250 Black 104 Normal Keys USB - $13
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

13. Case fan controller: Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay Fan Controller - $40 (has beautiful LCD display of fan speeds and temperatures)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

14. some other accessories, including cable extensions, binders, and etc, worth about $15.

15. NO mouse: I will keep the mouse for laptop.

I have all the original package & boxes. The prices are all after the rebate. So do the math, add them all up, the vanilla total is: $1585. The shipping fee is about $100, so the total I paid is about $1685. And considering the labor I put in, and the beautiful cable management in the case, I think it is fair to ask for $1700. Cheap labor, right?

It is a very high end desktop for gaming or for whatever. It has the Window 7RC x64 installed. I can give you the install disk since you can't download it anymore after 20th Aug.

I still can't believe I have to sell it, damn.



Also I posted it on my local craigslist last night, here is a link:
http://austin.craigslist.org/sys/1340817024.html

m
0
l
!